SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

What you just mentioned is really not significant. First off, the playing experience does NOTHING for his coaching credentials. He has less than two years FBS experience, that's the only way to put it. Also, the top assistant in the ACC thing was apart of a subjective article done on ESPN. I wouldn't read too much into that.

I agree that Bollinger is nothing more than a familiar name that we are hoping will give UND a hometown discount. He shouldn't be a top candidate. I would even argue Montana State's Jamie Marshall is a better candidate.

I wouldn't be entirely opposed to Bollinger but there are better candidates in my opinion. I don't believe anyone when they say he couldn't be a bust; he absolutely could be a bust because he has no college head coaching experience!!

He may not be best candidate but if what was mentioned isn't significant what is? You learn to read defenses and what will beat a defense in the film room and calling audibles. You learn the other teams strengths and weaknesses and how to exploit them. You also learn a lot about coaching and managing your staff and players . ESPN guys render their opinion by talking to coaches and players. Someone thinks he is good and they report it. Hard to believe anyone who played at hs level or beyond doesn't understand these things are important. I'm pretty sure Faison understands.

He may not be best candidate but if what was mentioned isn't significant what is? You learn to read defenses and what will beat a defense in the film room and calling audibles. You learn the other teams strengths and weaknesses and how to exploit them. You also learn a lot about coaching and managing your staff and players . ESPN guys render their opinion by talking to coaches and players. Someone thinks he is good and they report it. Hard to believe anyone who played at hs level or beyond doesn't understand these things are important. I'm pretty sure Faison understands.

I stand with Ira. This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Zero correlation - really?????

Let me word it for you another way.

The best players rarely make the best coaches.

It's scientific research. It two different disciplines. Coaches are great communicators....most of the best coaches never played in the NFL. But instead went straight into coaching after playing college ball. Usually as graduate assistants.

Here's another thing you might have observed in life. Brooks was bound to be a coach. One usually follows in their dads (parents) footsteps or at least they give it a try.

The guy that gets the job will only "apply" after Faison contacts him and interviews him.

Has Faison already decided who the next coach is? Like the Brad Berry hiring, is it already a foregone conclusion?

Not in the Bollinger camp, but don't think the 'bust' factor with him is any worse than where the Sioux team is at this point in time. If he applies, he should get an interview, but would also say the same about Jamie Marshall. Marshall is a successful coordinator at the FCS level (on the defensive side of the ball) with one of the top FCS teams in the country. He is familiar with the conference, and very familiar with the power teams in the conference. On top of that, he has shown that he is interested in the job.

All this can be a moot point, however, if Faison already has his next coach chosen.

Has Faison already decided who the next coach is? Like the Brad Berry hiring, is it already a foregone conclusion?

Not in the Bollinger camp, but don't think the 'bust' factor with him is any worse than where the Sioux team is at this point in time. If he applies, he should get an interview, but would also say the same about Jamie Marshall. Marshall is a successful coordinator at the FCS level (on the defensive side of the ball) with one of the top FCS teams in the country. He is familiar with the conference, and very familiar with the power teams in the conference. On top of that, he has shown that he is interested in the job.

All this can be a moot point, however, if Faison already has his next coach chosen.

I'd guess he has a short list of candidates that he is hoping apply or that he knew would apply, probably similar to something he has for almost all sports. I'm sure other qualified candidates that also apply will get a strong look as well. Faison is a smart guy, someone won't get overlooked just because he didn't think they would apply or he hadn't thought of them previously.

Marshall's application is interesting to me. He's spent his entire career as an assistant to Rob Ash, first at Drake and now at MSU. Ash is 62. How much longer will he realistically coach? Marshall is quite young (36 I believe) and presumably would be Ash's heir apparent given the fact that he's assistant head coach. I guess I'm just a little surprised that he's looking to move on at this point.

Marshall's application is interesting to me. He's spent his entire career as an assistant to Rob Ash, first at Drake and now at MSU. Ash is 62. How much longer will he realistically coach? Marshall is quite young (36 I believe) and presumably would be Ash's heir apparent given the fact that he's assistant head coach. I guess I'm just a little surprised that he's looking to move on at this point.

Just because somebody applies doesn't necessarily mean he'd take the position. May just be checking out his options or even just looking to use it as leverage for a salary increase.

Just because somebody applies doesn't necessarily mean he'd take the position. May just be checking out his options or even just looking to use it as leverage for a salary increase.

I guess. But it might be a tough sell to negotiate a raise at MSU given how this season played out. Regardless of the injuries, when a preseason consensus top five team doesn't make the playoffs...

Maurice Dayton has also applied per McFeely. Currently the secondary coach at Southern Miss, spent the previous two years at Coastal Carolina as the assistant head coach, special teams coordinator and wide receivers coach. Coached special teams and defensive backs at South Carolina State prior to that.

I believe Coastal Carolina and South Carolina State both play in the FCS playoffs today.

He has to take an opportunity, no guarantee that he would replace Ash at MSU.

Here's the list of candidatesthat McFeely is talking about. So, who's feeding this guy the information?

Open records requests. UND is required by law to fulfill the requests for information. The Herald isn't pushing for the information because it really doesn't matter at this point and I'm sure UND told them that the "candidates" who have applied to date really don't matter (although some may be considered at the end). The Fargo media is still pushing for information because they'd like to embarrass UND. Once we get our guy, I believe he will be a well respected coach and the Fargo media will shuffle it's feet and put out a little blurb about the hire without near the fanfare this list got.

UND fans have been 'spoiled' with an incredibly complacent good-ol-boy press. Claiming that Mcfeely or whoever is some sort of NDSU lackey is downright absurd.

First sentence: UND is no more "spoiled" than what goes on down in Fargo. Tom Miller was very critical of the football team this year. There has been multiple instances of Caillou not reporting on something that has appeared in "other" sections of the Fargo Forum. Both schools get pretty favorable treatment from their hometown paper, as is the case almost everywhere.

Second sentence: Agree, McFeely is not an NDSU lackey, he is critical of their program as well. In fact I don't even know if Bohl will do interviews with him anymore (or at least quit for a while). His schtick is to have the unpopular opinion. Do you think he really cares who gets hired as UND's next football coach? Or do you think he knew that by publishing the list first, he would get a bunch of page clicks. And making comments along the lines of "who would even want the job anyway" just furthers his agenda of stirring the pot. The Herald had requested the list the day before and is making new requests often. The Athletic Department is fully aware that this was going to happen and was prepared for it.

How is posting an accurate listing of those who have applied for a job bush-league? We are currently posting in a 34 page thread about who will fill said job. There was nothing anti-UND in what McFeeley wrote.

My guess is it was related to his comments he made, not the posting of the list itself. Again, he's just trying to generate page clicks for himself. How often does he actually comment on UND athletics?

The ND open records laws. He's making requests as per the law allows.

I thought all you media guys knew (and do) that. ;)

I have a full time job, I don't have time to file FOIA requests.

But if you read blog is question, UPDATE: Also, I was just tipped that Southern Miss defensive backs coach Maurice Drayton has applied... Someone apparently is feeding him some info.

He has to take an opportunity, no guarantee that he would replace Ash at MSU.

Take this for what it's worth given the source, but on the Bobcat board there is some speculation that Ash actually wants him to go. Maybe this is completely off base, and admittedly I'd probably be less skeptical if he'd waited until late in the game to apply like the other true contenders for the job are expected to do. Again, this is hardly proof of anything, but it doesn't seem like many on the Bobcat board would be disappointed if he left.