SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Economy

UND Fan

Two reasons why this happens.  1. they over extend themselves and 2. they have about 6-8 banks doing business with them and you want to bet that each bank has a different set of financials.  With all the projects these financials change daily.  

Why so many corporations?

You see Johnny, grandparents start these companies and grow them.

Then their kids inheritant and run it...and then they have kids who inherit the company. And soon there's like eight grandkids who have this company and they ain't attached to it like grandpa and grandma were. So they would rather not have the headache and just enjoy a lump sum of cash at a young age.

Valley Dairy

Home of Economy 

How many times has Hugo's had to turn down acquisition?

Hornachers ain't owned by Mr. Hornbacher for many years now.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2024 at 7:51 AM, The Sicatoka said:

I figured Fleet Farm or Tractor Supply would acquire HoE; guess it's Runnings. The Runnings in Moorhead and Bismarck do "feel" like HoE. 

TSC is a joke now days.  TSC stands for Toys, Shoes, and Coats.   And that's about all they have.

On 5/31/2024 at 6:51 AM, The Sicatoka said:

I figured Fleet Farm or Tractor Supply would acquire HoE; guess it's Runnings. The Runnings in Moorhead and Bismarck do "feel" like HoE. 

HOE stores are not big enough for a Fleet Farm, TSC is too lame for HOE. Honestly I’m surprised Murdochs didn’t beat Runnings to the punch. Murdochs are pretty popular out west.

Bolton and Menk got the study contract. They have a pretty positive reputation in their field from everything I've seen. They have also been around for a long time, so I doubt it is "his son's company". Maybe he's employed there in some capacity but he isn't an owner.

• Upvote 3

Good: Commentary about need for mosquito spraying in GF

Not good: Bringing questionably political jabs with no substantiation from unknown source here. 

If there's substance bring a recognized source or don't bring it here.

Thank you. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

The latest passenger boarding numbers for ND airports was released.   Every airport in the state showed an increase except for two:  GF and Jamestown.   GF only showed a slight decline, Jamestown was off heavily.  In fact Jamestown showed a 77% decrease in May 24 compared to May 23.   It's sad that the feds keep subsidizing Jamestown.

https://aero.nd.gov/image/cache/NDAC_May_2024_Airline_Boarding_Report.pdf

51 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

The latest passenger boarding numbers for ND airports was released.   Every airport in the state showed an increase except for two:  GF and Jamestown.   GF only showed a slight decline, Jamestown was off heavily.  In fact Jamestown showed a 77% decrease in May 24 compared to May 23.   It's sad that the feds keep subsidizing Jamestown.

https://aero.nd.gov/image/cache/NDAC_May_2024_Airline_Boarding_Report.pdf

Just FYI - Jamestown's main runway has been closed for 6 weeks for a reconstruction project from early May to mid June and commercial traffic is prohibited during this time so that probably explains some of it.  

On 5/31/2024 at 2:41 PM, Kab said:

Runnings is a good store, good customer service from my few experiences 

There will need to be some....uhhh..."retraining" if Runnings plans to retain the current employees from the current Home of Lobotomy staff.   

8 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

Just FYI - Jamestown's main runway has been closed for 6 weeks for a reconstruction project from early May to mid June and commercial traffic is prohibited during this time so that probably explains some of it.  

But the EAS subsidy still bugs me.   It's a total waste of taxpayer money

12 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

But the EAS subsidy still bugs me.   It's a total waste of taxpayer money

Tax payer money and waste?  That would never happen , oh wait must be a bridge to nowhere somewhere.

i guess waste is in the eye of those getting the money, I do agree with you.

what bugs me more is how passenger boardings in GF are down so much, 

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

As someone noted earlier, the runway at GFK was down (construction) for a significant period of time. 

Which means the headline next year will be "Grand Forks sees a good size increase in boarding."

Grand Forks residents are lucky to have so many flight options within an hour drive.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

As someone noted earlier, the runway at GFK was down (construction) for a significant period of time. 

OK, so you say GF runway was shutdown and gfNDfan says Jamestown runway was shut down.   Surely there has to be more than one commercial runway at these airports, especially GF.

4 hours ago, Hawkster said:

OK, so you say GF runway was shutdown and gfNDfan says Jamestown runway was shut down.   Surely there has to be more than one commercial runway at these airports, especially GF.

Not at Jamestown but understand you can't fly west from GF - only to MPLS.   Devils Lake goes to Denver and the short stop is Jamestown but this flight has been VERY SUCCESSFUL for DL and Jamestown which was the ultimate goal of EAS!  Lots of GF residents fly out of DL for this flight - just what is it was designed to do.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, gfNDfan said:

Not at Jamestown but understand you can't fly west from GF - only to MPLS.   Devils Lake goes to Denver and the short stop is Jamestown but this flight has been VERY SUCCESSFUL for DL and Jamestown which was the ultimate goal of EAS!  Lots of GF residents fly out of DL for this flight - just what is it was designed to do.

I have flown the Jamestown-DL-DEN route and it's great. Only downside is no bar at the Jamestown airport. TSA is fast tho