SiouxSports.com Forum

Fall Camp 2013

geaux_sioux

Fall camp is just around the corner so hopefully people will be able to get out and see some practices and have some reports.

Also what is everyone looking to see this fall camp? Break out freshman? QB battle? Another hopefully longer edition of opening drive? Suprising newcomers? New coordinators?

Fall camp is just around the corner so hopefully people will be able to get out and see some practices and have some reports.

Also what is everyone looking to see this fall camp? Break out freshman? QB battle? Another hopefully longer edition of opening drive? Suprising newcomers? New coordinators?

Offensively, I think we'll be fine. What I'd like to see is some of that nasty intensity & swagger on the defensive side of the ball. That will make or break the season.

First, I hope for a healthy fall camp UND is thin on D/O Line. I am also looking forward to seeing how keys players return from injuries:

O Line

1. Darren Deneui - if he returns healthy they can move Kleason back to the inside.

2. Dustin Adams - if he returns healthy provides depth and competition for starting roll

D Line

1. Mike Edwards - if he returns healthy they have three players completing at NG.
  2. Garrett Cary - in coming FR - I remember Muss saying that he thought that he might have a chance to play as a true freshman but he is injured so I expect him to RS.

Other than that I hope we get a healthy return of the following players - they could have a big impact on the team:

R.J. McGill, Garrison Goodman, Seth Stanchik and P. J. Sparks

• Upvote 1

I'm most interested in how the QB situation plays itself out. All sorts of weapons out there, need to find the right guy to get them the football.

My guess is Joe from Detroit Lakes, but would not be surprised if Joe is #2 for Vanderbilt.

• Upvote 1

My guess is Joe from Detroit Lakes, but would not be surprised if Joe is #2 for Vanderbilt.

Considering Mollberg was one snap away from being on the field for UND last fall, and was taking most of the snaps for UND in spring ball, I'm not sure where you're coming from with the Vanderbilt reference.

< Ferris Bueller "stop and look around" quote here >

I'm most interested in how the QB situation plays itself out. All sorts of weapons out there, need to find the right guy to get them the football.

Please explain.....

Sorry, did not mean to click on the "reputation" button for this post. I'm guessing the poster means that he would not be surprised if Mollberg is at number 2 for the Valparaiso game?

Whoever the ND QB is should have the opportunity for a good season.

Interesting prediction for Big Sky Freshman of the Year on this site.

http://www.collegesp...om/article/6957

That prediction makes me excited to see him play - however, with only one player selected for the first 3 all conference teams (84 slots) this shows how much we need our veterans to step up their game this year.

• Upvote 1

I believe most of us would agree, that as a unit our WR's are the best in the Big Sky if not the nation. We one have one WR selected as the top nine in the conference. I think our WR will show some eye opening statistics this season. We are new to the league and a losing season last year so it is time to step up both lines and the defense as a whole.

I believe most of us would agree, that as a unit our WR's are the best in the Big Sky if not the nation. We one have one WR selected as the top nine in the conference. I think our WR will show some eye opening statistics this season. We are new to the league and a losing season last year so it is time to step up both lines and the defense as a whole.

This! Improved line play on both sides will go a long way. I am also hoping garrison Goodman stays healthy because I think he is ready to have a breakout year.

In less I missed anything, UND doesn't have anyone listed on the all conference defensive side of the ball. That could mean trouble for the defense, as we need someone to step up big.

Tough to have anyone as pre-season all conference when UND's defense was awful.

Can I get a feel for why most feel like UND has the best WR corp in the NATION?

Hardin is solid and is proven, but the rest are just potential at this point. Maybe I am missing something, but it seems like a bold statement to make and to say that is a concensus...I just don't see it...yet.

Hardin is solid and is proven, but the rest are just potential at this point. Maybe I am missing something, but it seems like a bold statement to make and to say that is a concensus...I just don't see it...yet.

Jameer Jackson was a Freshman All American last year. Kenny Golladay is going to light up the league at 6'5", but that is potential, like you said. RJ McGill is a senior who has played all four years. They are loaded.

Sidenote: How awful are the WR's in the Missouri Valley? Ryan Smith was First Team - are they joking? Goes back to something I read about Marcus William's and if he has EVER been tested by a good WR. Obviously not in the MVFC but maybe in the playoffs?

(I am strictly talking about WR's, I understand the rest of the position groups are pretty damn good).

Jameer Jackson was a Freshman All American last year. Kenny Golladay is going to light up the league at 6'5", but that is potential, like you said. RJ McGill is a senior who has played all four years. They are loaded.

Sidenote: How awful are the WR's in the Missouri Valley? Ryan Smith was First Team - are they joking? Goes back to something I read about Marcus William's and if he has EVER been tested by a good WR. Obviously not in the MVFC but maybe in the playoffs?

(I am strictly talking about WR's, I understand the rest of the position groups are pretty damn good).

We'll see on the UND WR deal here. It's easy to be excited about your players in July...time will tell.

On your sidenote, I actually agree. There are very few if any real stars at the WR position and I have always thought Marcus was overrated. Not overrated in the sense that he isn't any good, because he is damn good. But some homers think he is a first round draft pick, that is laughable if you ask me. He'll be a late round pick(5 or beyond).

Marcus has great ball skills and is great at baiting QB's into throwing into coverage, but he struggles with other parts of his game that I feel will hurt him on draft day. The first being, I don't believe he has blazing speed, by NFL standards. He's a 4.4 guy if I remember right, but coming from an FCS school, the NFL wants to see the measurable be perfect to use a draft pick on you.

We'll see, I've been wrong before and I would be happy for him if he went higher than that. I just don't see it happening.

I am interested in the RB battle myself as we need this to greatly improved to achieve balance and take some pressure off our freshman QBs. Miller, Garman, Sparks, Shaugs, Varner, and i'll even throw Baker in here as well, someone here needs to step up and be a big time back.

Hardin is one of the 3 best receivers in the country. Jackson was a Freshman All-American and a finalist for the Jerry Rice Award. Golladay was the only true freshman to get his shirt pulled and was productive and made a few ridiculous catches and by all accounts has made the most significant improvements in the weight room of anybody on the team. Plus Townsend and McGill have both been productive over their careers and are more than capable 4th and 5th options. Obviously fans of other teams know their own depth better than anyone but with Kaufman leaving EWU early I think we're unquestionably the top in the Big Sky and would be in the argument with anybody in the country.

• Upvote 3

Hardin is one of the 3 best receivers in the country. Jackson was a Freshman All-American and a finalist for the Jerry Rice Award. Golladay was the only true freshman to get his shirt pulled and was productive and made a few ridiculous catches and by all accounts has made the most significant improvements in the weight room of anybody on the team. Plus Townsend and McGill have both been productive over their careers and are more than capable 4th and 5th options. Obviously fans of other teams know their own depth better than anyone but with Kaufman leaving EWU early I think we're unquestionably the top in the Big Sky and would be in the argument with anybody in the country.

Speaking of potential, anyone know how J.J. Robertson is progressing in off season workouts? Being a DI transfer from the U of Illinois, I have some high hopes for him. The WR corp definitely has potentially with Hardin, Jackson, Golladay, Robertson, McGill, and Townsend, hopefully the QB (Mollberg) lives up to his potential...I have a feeling it's going to be a fun few years ahead...at least on the offensive side!