SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 Recruiting

Hambone

High school notebook: Deer Creek's Conner Avants released from letter of intent at Air Force

The 6-foot-7 senior averaged 19.9 points and 10.4 rebounds this past season, hitting 60.5 percent of his field goal tries. He is currently considering other Division I opportunities. 2nd team all state
empty.gif
SECOND TEAM
Player School Cl. Ht. Gr. Avg. Conner Avants Ed. Deer Creek 5A 6-7 Sr. 19.9 Chris Crawford Victory Christian 4A 6-2 Sr. 21.6 Elijah Landrum Central 4A 6-0 So. 19.7 Hayden Howell Carl Albert 5A 6-7 Sr. 18.3 Curran Scott Ed. Memorial 6A 6-3 Sr. 21.9

If we did happen to land Baker and McKinley wouldn't practically our whole team be freshman and sophomores?  That can be good and bad.

It will be very much like 2010-11. Unfortunately, distribution of scholarships among the classes has been an issue for several years now. It seems like there are always 9 or 10 devoted to back-to-back classes.

I believe it was because of a coaching change.

Drew Long, the lowest assistant on the totem pole at AF just left.  He missed much of the 2013-14 season battling cancer.

If I was going to pick a coach to play for, it would be Coach Pilipovich at AF.  Great guy and gets the most out of his players.  AF players also have the choice to leave prior to becoming a junior, as they've run into that issue a few times the past couple years, including losing a quality freshman after the end of this season.

Drew Long, the lowest assistant on the totem pole at AF just left. He missed much of the 2013-14 season battling cancer.

If I was going to pick a coach to play for, it would be Coach Pilipovich at AF. Great guy and gets the most out of his players. AF players also have the choice to leave prior to becoming a junior, as they've run into that issue a few times the past couple years, including losing a quality freshman after the end of this season.

Yeah Air Force has some interesting things with recruiting. I believe they had 11 guys sign NLIs this year but they have to pass some sort of test or something to actually get it.

Edit: more on that http://www.mwcconnection.com/2014/11/12/7212825/air-force-basketball-signs-11-on-national-signing-day

Yeah Air Force has some interesting things with recruiting. I believe they had 11 guys sign NLIs this year but they have to pass some sort of test or something to actually get it.

Edit: more on that http://www.mwcconnection.com/2014/11/12/7212825/air-force-basketball-signs-11-on-national-signing-day

There are a lot of requirements which is why you see a lot of basketball players go to the prep school for a year.  It's essentially a red-shirt year for them and helps them adjust to college life while gaining entry to the Academy.  You don't see a lot of true freshman on the AF basketball team because of this.  

Does the fact that we are offering a Juco guard mean that Baker is out of the picture.  Or does it mean nothing?

I don't think it means Baker is out. It might be a contingency plan, or it might mean others won't be back. Hypothetically, there might still be as many as four scholarships open right now, depending on who else won't be back. At this point, I'm only really counting on Hooker, Shanks, Cashman, Crandall, Seales, Collins, McDermott, Bernstine and Avants being on scholarship. Maybe Hobaugh will get one for his last year, but that's not necessarily a given. The other three or four are still questionable IMO.

So was Baker on campus this weekend? Would love to find out if he is coming here. Thought it was almost a sure thing but with UNI showing interest that scares me.

Also, it would seem to me Horner has had to have some solid influence in recruiting this year with the two Iowa commits. I know Jones played their too.

Sources haven't told me anything yet

I'll ask today tho

Every time I let this board no my inside info I get railed and it's usually right information

Let us know.  Provide some concrete info for a change and maybe you'll get some credit.