SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 Recruiting

Hambone

6' 10"  McKinley 3rd leading scorer for Stillwater 12.5ppg. last season and 12ppg and 10 boards per game a jr.Likely to Red Shirt at D1.  Could play 4 or 5.  ...Kyle McKinley, 6'10, C- Stillwater, MN Magic Blue/Net Gain 17s

Then out of nowhere comes somebody you would have rarely seen with a ball in his hands not that long ago. I first saw this "unknown" kid playing for the Magic Elite 16s at a Pulley tournament in Eagan this past spring and was surprised by his mobility, speed, and athleticism getting up and down the court. Then by mid summer, he was playing for Net Gain 17s and looked even a little better. He's still pretty raw and needs to get stronger and improve on his skills- he only started playing the game a few years ago- but clearly he's a quick study and that, along with his God given stature has earned D1 interest and even a couple of offers already in the process.  

If he came here before signing the LOI i would've thought he should redshirt so it works out perfect anyways. He can come redshirt next year then have 4 years to play. 

If he received a complete release from Albany he would be eligible right away. He would be immediately useful with the loss of Shields.

Not sure that is possible anymore, Jeff Goodman was talking about today that all transfers that don't use the grad school waiver will have to sit under the NCAA's new transfer rules. 

Not sure that is possible anymore, Jeff Goodman was talking about today that all transfers that don't use the grad school waiver will have to sit under the NCAA's new transfer rules. 

Even though he never attended the school? Seems pretty lame in my opinion.

With that type of talent the future would be bright. the 16-17 roster would be this assuming none of next years FR redshirt.

Sr. - Hooker, Blake

Jr. - Shanks, Cashman Bernstein

Soph - Crandall, Seales, Baker, Collins, McDermott, Richman

Fr. Mckinley

That is some serious talent, and we would still have 2-3 scholarships left for other players. 

Am I to assume we are pretty much writing off the 2015-2016 season while we wait for all the transfers to become eligible?  Lot of hype about 2016-2017 and not much about next year.  

BTW, Jones is down to one year left on his contract after 2015-2016.  Or, the year when most coaches get fired (cheap buyout).

Am I to assume we are pretty much writing off the 2015-2016 season while we wait for all the transfers to become eligible?  Lot of hype about 2016-2017 and not much about next year.  

BTW, Jones is down to one year left on his contract after 2015-2016.  Or, the year when most coaches get fired (cheap buyout).

We may never get to see this 2016-17 team come to fruition if Jones is fired.

All hypothetical at this point. These are two potential recruits that might come to UND. Mckinly is a high school kid so i wouldn't even consider him a transfer and Baker would have 3 years left to play. Both are really good pickups if they happen, not even a question.

As for next years roster i'll wait to reserve judgement until everything shakes out, but if that is the roster in 2 years UND will be in the running for a league title and Hooker would be the only Sr, so you'd have to like the potential for the years following too. We'll just have to see how it turns out. 

Why do you say that?  The players wouldn't disappear - only Jones!

Players often leave after coaches get fired.  Look at how many players transferred out of the football program after Mussman got canned.  All I'm saying is that we better be careful what we wish for in regard to Jones.

Edit: Or at least hire a replacement QUICKLY!

Players often leave after coaches get fired.  Look at how many players transferred out of the football program after Mussman got canned.  All I'm saying is that we better be careful what we wish for in regard to Jones.

There usually is more turnover in football due to numbers. And the change in philosophy, and accountability/discipline.  With basketball, if this all comes down the way we want, and if Jones is let go, it would be hard to see any of those kids leaving. With that potential, would be tough transfer for player.

And I think next year is going to be a good year also.  Not writing it off in anyway.  But the few years after should be teams that get to the NCAA tourney.

There usually is more turnover in football due to numbers. And the change in philosophy, and accountability/discipline.  With basketball, if this all comes down the way we want, and if Jones is let go, it would be hard to see any of those kids leaving. With that potential, would be tough transfer for player.

And I think next year is going to be a good year also.  Not writing it off in anyway.  But the few years after should be teams that get to the NCAA tourney.

Sure hope you're right!  :bigsmile:

There usually is more turnover in football due to numbers. And the change in philosophy, and accountability/discipline. With basketball, if this all comes down the way we want, and if Jones is let go, it would be hard to see any of those kids leaving. With that potential, would be tough transfer for player.

And I think next year is going to be a good year also. Not writing it off in anyway. But the few years after should be teams that get to the NCAA tourney.

I'll believe it when I see it. Sounds way too good to be true right now.

The benefit of having a better coach for years to come far outweighs the loss of a few unproven recruits if they decided to transfer because of a coaching change.

Unproven recruits?

Most of the underclassmen, and incoming freshman have won state titles or at least gotten deep in the tournament.  Some have had phenomenal AAU stats. I dont think you can call them unproven.

If we have another lousy season and Jones is let go, I would guess that the vast majority of players would welcome a new coach.  They are smart enough to know when the team is underperforming due to less than stellar coaching!

Unproven recruits?

Most of the underclassmen, and incoming freshman have won state titles or at least gotten deep in the tournament.  Some have had phenomenal AAU stats. I dont think you can call them unproven.

They are unproven at the college level.  Winning high school games in Iowa and scoring points in AAU games doesn't mean sh*t.  Have you seen the style of play in those summer tournaments?  Yeesh.  Sadly, it reminds me of the way UND plays.  

The only people pumping up these recruits as the 'saviors of the program' are Jones supporters.  The rest of us realize they are 18 year old's who may not adjust to college and be gone in a heartbeat, as so many freshman are.  The football team has a few pretty good freshman too but I'm gonna wait until I see them on the field for a few seasons in a row. 

• Upvote 1

They are unproven at the college level.  Winning high school games in Iowa and scoring points in AAU games doesn't mean sh*t.  Have you seen the style of play in those summer tournaments?  Yeesh.  Sadly, it reminds me of the way UND plays.  

The only people pumping up these recruits as the 'saviors of the program' are Jones supporters.  The rest of us realize they are 18 year old's who may not adjust to college and be gone in a heartbeat, as so many freshman are.  The football team has a few pretty good freshman too but I'm gonna wait until I see them on the field for a few seasons in a row. 

Can't be worse that what we put out there last year... can they?

Jones needs to do a better job getting players in that will fit together.  I think a bunch of guys from the Twin Cities and Iowa would do that.  Last year guys like Nash and DeRoen didn't seem to be good personality fits with the team.  I'm guessing Coleman was frustrated with lack of playing time and one could question how/if that carried over to the locker room. 

I wouldn't call myself a Jones supporter, I am not calling for his job like others but I think I am pretty neutral about the whole thing. Fair enough to say when there is something I don't like and fair enough to say when there is something good happening. Having said that I agree with you that until these recruits get into a college program you don't know. I will also say I have seen enough basketball in the area to say that the class he is bringing in with Seales, McDermott, Collins, and Bernstein is his best class on paper. If the staff is able to land Baker and McKinley it turns an already great class to an even better one. Toss Crandall into that who redshirted and it is some serious talent on paper.

Since we are comparing FB recruits I will add that Wheeler Baker is more accomplished than any FB transfer the program has brought in (6 a game as a true fr on a 14 seed team in the NCAAs) and people tend to get excited about guys like Tillman, Arrington, Hinojosa, Bredan Hanson, etc. I see no problem with fans being excited about bringing in a proven guy like that with 3 years to play and from the Twin Cities to boot. 

Again, recruiting is a crapshoot, but on paper this is Jones' best class and if they add two more big pieces like Baker and McKinley i think fans have a reason to be excited about the young talent on the roster because there will be a lot of it. Let people be excited and see how it plays out. 

Since we are comparing FB recruits I will add that Wheeler Baker is more accomplished than any FB transfer the program has brought in (6 a game as a true fr on a 14 seed team in the NCAAs) and people tend to get excited about guys like Tillman, Arrington, Hinojosa, Bredan Hanson, etc. I see no problem with fans being excited about bringing in a proven guy like that with 3 years to play and from the Twin Cities to boot. 

If Baker can do as much as Tillman did for the FB program he will be one of the best recruits/transfers Jones ever had.  Tillman was an absolute star for the FB team, in the locker room, at corner, returning punts, etc.  Veteran leadership that they needed badly.

If Baker can do as much as Tillman did for the FB program he will be one of the best recruits/transfers Jones ever had.  Tillman was an absolute star for the FB team, in the locker room, at corner, returning punts, etc.  Veteran leadership that they needed badly.

Agreed, and people were excited about him. I am saying coming into UND Baker would be more accomplished than Tillman was. Tillman was a special teams guy and backup and Houston, Baker got a ton of minutes on a very good team that made the NCAAs as a true freshman.

We don't even know if he is coming to UND, so lets wait and see but my point was it's ok for fans to be excited about UND landing a talented player like that.....they should be.