I see the lines are already out for Week 1. Games of note:

UND -41.5 over Valpo

Arizona -24.5 over NAU

Oregon State -24.5 over EWU

Montana State -26.5 over Monmouth

SFA -2 over Weber State

Montana -1 over Appy State

Kansas State -17.5 over NDSU

Wow I'll take ndsu and EWU. They're both going to lose, but I think the games will be closer than that.

I know we want to get to seven wins; however, I wish we would start out with a normal game. As a student, I feel a bit disappointed that we are waiting until week two for a true game. I would take a presentable loss to a good team over a blow out win.That may be one reason we students don't show. They get a boring game out of the gates and decide they have more import things to do.

I know we want to get to seven wins; however, I wish we would start out with a normal game. As a student, I feel a bit disappointed that we are waiting until week two for a true game. I would take a presentable loss to a good team over a blow out win.That may be one reason we students don't show. They get a boring game out of the gates and decide they have more import things to do.

Week one you are usually playing a cubcake, or you are the cupcake. This isn't new to college football. This first game will allow us to see the starters for most of the first half and then be able to get the backups some significant playing time. We will most likely see all 3 QB's against Valpo. This is a good thing. No wins are gauranteed, as we know, but getting a W in the win column righ off the bat is always a good thing.

• Upvote 3

I can see what you mean but here is the other side of the coin:

1) Valpo is bad, no doubt about it, but they are a D1 counter...we need to get to seven wins.

2) We have redshirt freshies at QB...they need some real game experience before they face SDSU, UM, MSU, EWU.

3) This game will help our new defense get accustomed to new schemes.

4) I love seeing us blow someone out....the rest of the schedule has no guaranteed wins.

• Upvote 3

Nearly all schools start with a warm-up game (other than the crappy schools being used as punching bags).

I see UND winning 3 of the last 4 for at least 7 wins this year. UNC will be close, but I say we pull it out at home. I also think Portland and Northern Arizona will be tough, but I don't see getting back to back losses after playing the likes of Montana South Dakota State and Montana State and Eastern Washington. If we can go 2-2 against those four teams and we should be ok.

Have you seen the rest of the schedule? Its already the hardest schedule in the Big Sky, maybe even the country.

The other OOC games are SDSU and Montana and you are complaining about actually playing an easy FCS team. :silly:

• Upvote 1

True football fans as myself want to see nailbiters over blowouts any day. So yes, I would like to see a better team in week one. I agree that the schedule is hard this year, but from a student's view I get more excited about the season if week one is great. Don't get me wrong I will be there week one and at every home game for that mater winning or losing, but week one stays in the students minds when deciding to attend future games. I love the UNC UND games because they seem to go down to the wire every year. Even when we played them in Division II

True football fans as myself want to see nailbiters over blowouts any day. So yes, I would like to see a better team in week one. I agree that the schedule is hard this year, but from a student's view I get more excited about the season if week one is great. Don't get me wrong I will be there week one and at every home game for that mater winning or losing, but week one stays in the students minds when deciding to attend future games. I love the UNC UND games because they seem to go down to the wire every year. Even when we played them in Division II

Look at the rest of the FCS teams (heck even FBS) and look at the opponents. The spread on most of the week one games is going to be in the 20's or even more. It's just reality in college football. Book a cupcake for your first game. College teams have been doing it for years. Will do it in the future too.

After the past 5 years of D2 and NAIA teams coming to the Alerus, this is one of the best home schedules we have had in a long time...if not ever!! Ranked teams, old rivals, and new rivals coming to the Al. Don't worry, after Valpo, it gets a heck of a lot more ecviting!

• Upvote 1

True UND fans want to see UND in the playoffs where anything can happen. Due to UND's tough schedule and young FB team (especially at QB), a weak DI team that still counts towards the "magic number 7" is very valuable. Also, because of the schedule's difficulty, if UND loses 4 games they still might get into the playoffs. The 24-team playoff expansion for this season also helps that.

Here's a more detailed explanation or example:

If UND were to lose 4 of their first 6 (which is possible due to the team's youth at QB and the difficulty of the opponents) against SDSU, Montana, Montana State, and Eastern Washington, yet pull out the last 5 games (Sac. St, Portland St, NAU, N. Colorado, and UC Davis) and end with a 7-4 record, UND could still make the playoffs. This is especially true because UND would still have a 6-2 Big Sky record. It's also somewhat likely because UND's young team could trip a bit coming out of the gates but end up hot towards the end of the schedule.

Now, if they pull out 2 of the 4 tough beginning games (SDSU, Montana, MSU, EWU), then the chances for a playoff berth look very good.

Is this the first we had heard about these two? Had we already heard about them?

It is the first that I have heard of them. We have another D-line JC transfer coming in that was announced a month or two ago. I need to go back and look but it would be odd to announce a transfer a couple months ago and then announce him again with a late recruit our of high school.

Edit: I went back in looked and Espinoza, the JC transfer, was announced back in May. Not sure why they announced him again as that is kind of confusing. Regardless some good depth added in a position of need.

Wow I'll take ndsu and EWU. They're both going to lose, but I think the games will be closer than that.

I hadn't realized EWU played OSU this year, osu is pretty solid, but EWU has the big-play potential on both offense and defense to pull off a win. Between, them, sdsu (nebraska), and ndsu, i think we could (should?) see another top-25 upset this year. The more I see about EWU the more I think they should be the solid favorite in the BSC this year.

I hadn't realized EWU played OSU this year, osu is pretty solid, but EWU has the big-play potential on both offense and defense to pull off a win. Between, them, sdsu (nebraska), and ndsu, i think we could (should?) see another top-25 upset this year. The more I see about EWU the more I think they should be the solid favorite in the BSC this year.

I dont think SDSU has it in them. Don't get me wrong, they play solid football, but any team that got beatdown by UNI last year, probably is not going to be good enough to beat Nebraska.

Best chances for a big upset would be the others.

Depends if EWU can play defense.....depends if NDSU can slow down the run and run the ball. Should be yet another entertaining FCS/FBS week or two of football.