SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ DU - Saturday

AZSIOUX

Watching this again today and noticed at the 3:57 mark Chris Knowlton acts as a pylon for Danny Kristo's deke to start the 3 on 2 that leads to the Grimaldi goal...this line is good

Couldn't help noticing how much better our break-out was and how crisp our passing was. If we continue like this, we'll be hard to beat

Ok so just hurt him a little bit? That's much better. :silly:

"I'm personally putting up a hundred bucks of my own money to the first of my guys to go out and really cream Rau...he's the chief punk and goon of the Minnesota gofers..." -Reg Dunlop

"I'm personally putting up a hundred bucks of my own money to the first of my guys to go out and really cream Rau...he's the chief punk and goon of the Minnesota gofers..." -Reg Dunlop

careful, ya never know if/when Mr.Goodell might come round here and see that...

anybody else notice the wing to wing passing on three man rushes?

Just watched the goals again and it looked pretty easy out there for those guys.

Side note.. I believe Rocco was on the ice for the first 4 goals UND had. Hopefully get a lead both nights vs bemidji and get those 4 big points

Frattin could get going when in stride but man can Danny and Rocco jet up those wings! Speed kills!

Sometimes I wonder why every year we spend over 1/2 of the year on the dump and chase and only open up at this time of the year. We are clearly better using our speed and attacking, but it seems like every year starts the same.

Sometimes I wonder why every year we spend over 1/2 of the year on the dump and chase and only open up at this time of the year. We are clearly better using our speed and attacking, but it seems like every year starts the same.

Maybe dump-and-chase is more reliable defensively, so they do that until the D (and the defensive play of the forwards) get more consistent as the season goes on. I have no clue if that's even close to accurate; just throwing it out there as an option.

Maybe dump-and-chase is more reliable defensively, so they do that until the D (and the defensive play of the forwards) get more consistent as the season goes on. I have no clue if that's even close to accurate; just throwing it out there as an option.

I'm just observing what I think is a tendency - could be a very valid reason behind it - It just seems to me that when we go on our second half runs the offense opens up a lot

Are you openly advocating for a DU player to intentionally hurt Rau this weekend? Or am I just misunderstanding your post?

Lololololol, can't you read? What part of punch him, knock him down, swell his lips, and finally shut his mouth, do you not understand? Oh, and I would pay, yes PAY the DU player to inflict this pain on him! You can take them comments any way you want mariucci .........

Never want to see a player get hurt. Kyle Rau can take care of himself obviously because the way he yaps the entire game, and you know that each team has to have some kind of bounty out on him because of this yapping. He does a good job of not putting himself in those dangerous situations. He'll have his head up going over the middle of the ice all year.....guaranteed.

Lololololol, can't you read? What part of punch him, knock him down, swell his lips, and finally shut his mouth, do you not understand? Oh, and I would pay, yes PAY the DU player to inflict this pain on him! You can take them comments any way you want mariucci .........

Nope...I cannot get on board with this. Intent to injure has no place in hockey, absolutely none. Inflicting pain by clean hard hits, yes, but not intent to injure.

• Upvote 1

Dump and chase has worked because we usually have some big/physical guys. Dump it in, go nail the opponent to the boards, take the puck. Rinse, repeat. By the 3rd period, those other guys are so sick of getting hit, it opens things up. This year, the guys aren't as big or physical, so it hasn't as worked as much, but if you've noticed, we have really cycled well lately.

Kyle Rau can take care of himself obviously because the way he yaps the entire game, and you know that each team has to have some kind of bounty out on him because of this yapping.

"you can't put a bounty on a mans head!"...-Joe McGrath, Slapshot

Regarding dump and chase: It's usually the best method to use when the defending team strings out across their defensive blueline. Most teams don't have the skill players to stickhandle their way through this picket fence. This happens at all levels, even the NHL. Watch the Blackhawks turn the puck over time and again when they try to stick handle through the "picket fence." Even Kane and Toews have trouble with this. Of course there are, at times, exceptions depending on the technique used by the defenders, but the most efficient way of entering the offensive zone vs this tactic is to dump the puck in deep. You need to have your other forwards breaking in at top speed to assure gaining possession of the puck, otherwise the defending team will just shoot the puck back out (or ice it if they are on the PK).

So to summarize: It's the opposing defensive strategy that usually will determine the type of offensive zone entry method to be used.

• Upvote 1

Regarding dump and chase: It's usually the best method to use when the defending team strings out across their defensive blueline. Most teams don't have the skill players to stickhandle their way through this picket fence. This happens at all levels, even the NHL. Watch the Blackhawks turn the puck over time and again when they try to stick handle through the "picket fence." Even Kane and Toews have trouble with this. Of course there are, at times, exceptions depending on the technique used by the defenders, but the most efficient way of entering the offensive zone vs this tactic is to dump the puck in deep. You need to have your other forwards breaking in at top speed to assure gaining possession of the puck, otherwise the defending team will just shoot the puck back out (or ice it if they are on the PK).

So to summarize: It's the opposing defensive strategy that usually will determine the type of offensive zone entry method to be used.

Good points. Like you said the real key is the forwards getting into the zone with speed. Another key is ringing the puck hard around so it gets to the other corner. It does no use to dump it to yourself if you can't be the first one to the puck.