SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs NAU - Go support the team at the Betty

FSSD

Other people on other teams message board think ralston sucks so bad... wish we could get sywg back

Huh, I've only heard/read a couple of comments about Ralston on other Big Sky boards, and both have been positive when they've been watching our broadcasts on Big Sky TV.

I actually really enjoy listening to Paul. He has just the right amount of homerism, yet he is critical at times when the team isn't playing well. Apparently too critical.

Then again, you don't really like anything about UND, so I am not surprised you don't like Ralston.

There must be a clause in Paul's contract with UND that perceived derogatory comments against his employer or representatives of his employer (UND players, coaches, teams) are grounds for disciplinary action. I think this is one of the reasons why Swyg resisted so much when Sean Johnson was going around and "recruiting" the old radio play-by-play guys to come on board and work for UND. It's a common practice across the college sports landscape but it makes for uncomfortable situations like this. Swyg said his meeting with Johnson to come on board was a bit terse and to the point, as in "join the club or take a hike." Swyg stuck to his principles and took the latter. Good for him.

Paul's critique of the closing of the game may have been spot on, but you aren't going to get away with telling a coach his team pulled a "choke job" in any situation. I actually applaud Jones for defending his team, and even taking the blame for the end of regulation-that doesn't always happen (see University of Minnesota/Tubby Smith).

As far as Swyg, anyone that listened to him near the end knew his main objective was to get out of the arena as fast as possible. His broadcasts became so negative and whiny that they were hard to listen to IMO. I think it was in everyone's best interest to bring in some fresh energy, and Paul does bring that. It's nice to have some pre/post game coverage about the game rather than Swyg whining about how far the walk from the pressbox was!

Bottom line: Paul got caught thinking he was a little "closer" to Jones that he thought he was and Jones called him out.....a humbling moment I'm sure. He'll refocus, regroup, and be back in a couple games. For as many players that have missed games this year, why wouldn't our radio host miss a couple too! :)

The biggest homers in the Big Sky, in my opinion, are Weber State (Dutch) and U Northern Colorado's play by play guy.

They have nothing on ol' Hawk Harrelson for the White Sox, though.

I watched the Midco announcers Saturday and they seemed to be just enough of a homer and critical enough to call the game in a tolerable manner. No complaints from this outsider.

Anybody have any idea what their coach was so upset with the ref about? He was barking at the official on two trips back and forth up the floor and a timeout. I can't believe he didn't get t'd up.

I think it might have been this: he thought Huff step out of bounds (which was bull because from where I was in the student section he was clearly a full foot inbounds) and he just went off for like 4 minutes on that.

One other note: You guys have to remember that our radio announcers are no longer employed by the radio station like back in the old days of Swyg and Bohlman. They work for UND now and are basically PR guys as broadcasts can be used as a recruiting tool both on the radio and when simulcast with the Big Sky TV network. Most companies don't like criticism from within..........that being said, I agree with SIOUXFAN97 and totally think it should have been handled internally.

• Upvote 1

I particularly enjoyed how obsessed their coach became with the fans when they started yelling at him........he literally stopped coaching several times to make eye contact and yell directly to an individual fan who had yelled at him......very professional! :)

Forgot about that. He was also yelling ACROSS the court and making gestures to fans seated in middle section.

Happy that our announcer isn't too much of a homer to call it like he sees it. Not happy that he got suspended. But while I don't agree with it, I can see why UND did what they did. Probably a better way to go about saying what he said and I'm sure next time will take that into account.

The customers (i.e. - the fans) don't like duckies and bunnies all the time, particularly when things aren't going well. I like the announcer to have some homer in him, but when things are falling apart, I cannot stand an announcer that won't say the obvious and give a voice to what most of the fans are thinking. Even if the broadcast guy is a direct employee and is essentially a PR guy, I still question this move because the suspension is worse PR than the original comment. I'm not a big basketball guy and I personally wouldn't have even known about this situation but for the suspension. The suspension shines a light on the choke-job itself and demonstrates the thin-skinned nature of the administration.

There was no chatter about it before, and now here we are rightfully ripping the administration for it. And great point about the suspension shining light on the choke job.

I didn't even know about the comment either until this happened.

I agree that it should of been handled internally but I can see why the coach reacted as he did. The radio guy could have been a lot smarter in the words he used. Everybody will learn from this. It isn't exactly a surprise that the team missed some free throws down the stretch. They have done that for 3 years.

This is a microcosm of what is wrong with our athletic department right now. All this "duckies and bunnies, sunshine and smiles" BS has to stop. We have struggled in FB and MBB since moving up our programs. But, according to MR. Faison, if everyone isn't perfectly positive all the time, there will be consequences. Standards are being lowered and those lower standards are being strictly enforced. And that is not a healthy dynamic going forward.

Ralston was just telling it like it was. I am sorry if Faison can't handle it.

• Upvote 4

Not real clear on how this could have been "Handled internally" as the next broadcast would have been without Ralston and questions would have been asked. Then it becomes "a coverup". I guess it goes back to the new age we live in - announcers are employees of the school they cover, they sign a contact, they know what is in the contract, they know the ramifications. Chat rooms and media can make this bigger than it is. If an employee gets suspended for something they said publicly about the company they work for it's not news in the newspaper or on the radio.

• Upvote 1