SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs NAU - Go support the team at the Betty

FSSD

This is a microcosm of what is wrong with our athletic department right now. All this "duckies and bunnies, sunshine and smiles" BS has to stop. We have struggled in FB and MBB since moving up our programs. But, according to MR. Faison, if everyone isn't perfectly positive all the time, there will be consequences. Standards are being lowered and those lower standards are being strictly enforced. And that is not a healthy dynamic going forward.

Well said.

• Upvote 3

Not real clear on how this could have been "Handled internally" as the next broadcast would have been without Ralston and questions would have been asked. Then it becomes "a coverup". I guess it goes back to the new age we live in - announcers are employees of the school they cover, they sign a contact, they know what is in the contract, they know the ramifications. Chat rooms and media can make this bigger than it is. If an employee gets suspended for something they said publicly about the company they work for it's not news in the newspaper or on the radio.

Just curious...what did Ralston say that wasn't factual in his comments to Jones??? To suggest that this in any way, shape or form was handled appropriately by Faison is absurd.

• Upvote 1

All Paul had to say was "I think you let this one slip away" but you just simply can't use the phrase "choke job". I don't care who you announce for, this would not have flown ANYWHERE. It doesn't have to be "duckies and bunnies", but you also can't use a phrase like that with a coach, any coach, right after a tough loss. Bobby Knight probably would've ripped his throat out!

• Upvote 1

All Paul had to say was "I think you let this one slip away" but you just simply can't use the phrase "choke job". I don't care who you announce for, this would not have flown ANYWHERE. It doesn't have to be "duckies and bunnies", but you also can't use a phrase like that with a coach, any coach, right after a tough loss. Bobby Knight probably would've ripped his throat out!

It may have been an unfortunate choice of words, but did it warrant a two-game suspension, or a mere apology behind closed doors?

Was it the fact that he said it or was it the fact that he said it to Jones right after the game? I think there is a big difference between the two. Does anyone have the actual audio of what happened? I would guess most people haven't heard it (myself included) and are making judgements based on what was in the Herald and on here.

It may have been an unfortunate choice of words, but did it warrant a two-game suspension, or a mere apology behind closed doors?

An on-air apology would have been enough. Not sure if Jones supports the suspension but it makes him look soft and think-skinned.

What the suspension does do is remind a bunch of folks that don't normally do not pay attention to UND hoops (or did in the past) that UND did piss away a home game that was extremely important.

• Upvote 1

You are probably right. But, count me in the camp that a suspension for any amount of time is a bit of an over-reaction. I think at most, Ralston should have been made to privately address the coaches and team to apologize.

• Upvote 1

You are probably right. But, count me in the camp that a suspension for any amount of time is a bit of an over-reaction. I think at most, Ralston should have been made to privately address the coaches and team to apologize.

Really apologize to the team or coach? - If it bugged coach or Faison, Faison should have said something behind closed doors and that would have been it. Now it's a big deal. Thin skin by someone that's for sure.

Really apologize to the team or coach? - If it bugged coach or Faison, Faison should have said something behind closed doors and that would have been it. Now it's a big deal. Thin skin by someone that's for sure.

Can't believe that UND didn't let the process play out and give Paul his day in court. :)

How would that apology go...."aahhhh sorry guys for using the phrase choke job the other night when you guys !@#$ the bed. I was out of line and it won't happen again."

That fact that Ralston's comments and his suspension by our AD are getting more press than team's coached by Jones continually blowing games that they should win when leading down the stretch shows why this MBB program is such a mess!

• Upvote 3

The word choke Job is now a dirty word? Get real dakotasports. Pussification of America continues!

Never said it was a dirty word (just not tactful)......but as a play by play announcer it won't get you very far. You can use it all you want on your own call in show, but it simply won't work as a play by play guy, especially when you are employed the by the group you're interviewing. Ever notice how Paul Allen will criticize certain sport teams, but will never cut down the Vikings too hard?

How well do you think it would fly if Tim tried it with Hak?

I'm sure Ralston has already talked to Jones about this informally and hopefuly it won't affect their relationship down the road and they put it behind them.

Probably not the best choice of words for Ralston, but it's obvious he cares about the success of the program and that's what you want from your people.

As for the 2 games...seems a little harsh but whatever.

....another move along...don't ever complain or criticize comment....just eat what is spoon fed to you and be quiet.

It's an employee/employer matter, I am sure there are legal confidentiality issues involved. What would you like to know that could be legally shared in this situation?

Those who want to hate will always find something to hate about. This is a typical chat room mountain out of a mole hill. Love the irony of the name of this thread and this incident being beat to death within in.

I'm sorry for wanting some more information about the suspension. If that makes me a "hater" than so be it.