SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 Season

GeauxSioux

According to this poll..... http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2%2Fwriters%2Finfcshuddle%2Farchive%2Fhaley_01_09_2013.htm ...UND will be playing the #2, #6, #8, #10 and #16 teams. Thankfully four of the games will be in Grand Forks. Flagstaff will be the only road game, with UNA #16.

That kind of a schedule has to look nice to recruits.

According to this poll..... http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2%2Fwriters%2Finfcshuddle%2Farchive%2Fhaley_01_09_2013.htm ...UND will be playing the #2, #6, #8, #10 and #16 teams. Thankfully four of the games will be in Grand Forks. Flagstaff will be the only road game, with UNA #16.

That kind of a schedule has to look nice to recruits.

If we win these games more people better fill up the Alerus.

• Upvote 1

If we win these games more people better fill up the Alerus.

Honestly, it's doubtful. First off, we have to win those games which will be a challenge in its self. Secondly, the fan base/ students have to realize the school has a football team, not only a hockey team. Last year at times I felt no matter what the situation, including post-season semi-final game, the Alerus will never be full. Hopefully I'm wrong. I guess if we played NDSU in Forks we'd see max capacity, but that's the only exception.

Honestly, it's doubtful. First off, we have to win those games which will be a challenge in its self. Secondly, the fan base/ students have to realize the school has a football team, not only a hockey team. Last year at times I felt no matter what the situation, including post-season semi-final game, the Alerus will never be full. Hopefully I'm wrong. I guess if we played NDSU in Forks we'd see max capacity, but that's the only exception.

The Alerus was doing just fine in the early 2000s when the team was WINNING

Just take a look at the left column of this website. There are 14 articles listed and 13 of them have to do with UND hockey. There are 6 videos listed and all of them are UND hockey videos. I know that there have been several articles written and videos produced in the last week about other sports and athletes in other sports, but the person that edits this website chooses not to include links to those articles or videos. I'm not sure more exposure on this site would help attendance, but it would be nice to see a little more balance.

Of course it's now hockey season

• Upvote 1

Just take a look at the left column of this website. There are 14 articles listed and 13 of them have to do with UND hockey. There are 6 videos listed and all of them are UND hockey videos. I know that there have been several articles written and videos produced in the last week about other sports and athletes in other sports, but the person that edits this website chooses not to include links to those articles or videos. I'm not sure more exposure on this site would help attendance, but it would be nice to see a little more balance.

This is a privately owned website so I guess the owner can put up whatever content he wants to. I am sure he also looks at how many clicks the content he puts up gets as well and relies on past information to decide what he wants to put up.

Here is a UND site for you to check out if you want complete sports coverage.

http://www.undsports.com//

I think winning and hosting playoff games will be the "shot in the arm" the program needs to get recognition and get some attendance. With that said, simply winning might not work. For example, in 2011 when we hosted South Dakota for the conference championship, the attendance was horrid. Now, it was the Great West and there was no chance for playoffs, but I still think you have to consider situations like this.

Furthermore, there is no reason we shouldn't have major attendance for the 2nd game against South Dakota State, and if we beat SDSU, we should see significant numbers for the Montana game. Now, whether that actually happens is another story. Last year everyone was quite confident for a sellout against Montana and how did that turn out?

I think winning and hosting playoff games will be the "shot in the arm" the program needs to get recognition and get some attendance. With that said, simply winning might not work. For example, in 2011 when we hosted South Dakota for the conference championship, the attendance was horrid. Now, it was the Great West and there was no chance for playoffs, but I still think you have to consider situations like this.

Furthermore, there is no reason we shouldn't have major attendance for the 2nd game against South Dakota State, and if we beat SDSU, we should see significant numbers for the Montana game. Now, whether that actually happens is another story. Last year everyone was quite confident for a sellout against Montana and how did that turn out?

Look at our record leading up to the Montana game it wasn't pretty.

Winning is the best marketing tool but not the only one.

Faison and our teams and staffs need to be cultivating and growing relationships with our students and the surrounding community. They do some things but I am not sure how aggressive we are in the off season. The FB team should have had a number of functions with the students in the dorms, fraternities and sororites. When the students and community get to know players and establish relationships they will also be more likely to come to games. There should be a committee of students, athletes and community leaders meeting regulary to brainstorm about ideas to improve the experience for students. Someone should be working on ideas to expand tailgaiting and improving the student experience.

The new practice and sports medicine research facility also needs to be the top fund rasing priority right now for the UND alumni office. There are some great things UND could be doing with sports medicine research in conjunction with engineering, the med school, the grad school, sports psychology etc. Tie in some work with obesity in our nations children and there are grant dollars out there. UND has some great things going on and it isn't a big stretch to expand what we do on a big time scale.

• Upvote 3

Winning is the best marketing tool but not the only one.

Faison and our teams and staffs need to be cultivating and growing relationships with our students and the surrounding community. They do some things but I am not sure how aggressive we are in the off season. The FB team should have had a number of functions with the students in the dorms, fraternities and sororites. When the students and community get to know players and establish relationships they will also be more likely to come to games. There should be a committee of students, athletes and community leaders meeting regulary to brainstorm about ideas to improve the experience for students. Someone should be working on ideas to expand tailgaiting and improving the student experience.

Using the term marketing and Faison in the same sentence while trying to make a point is an oxymoron!

• Upvote 1

well, with SDSU we'll at least get to see how our run d stacks up this year early.

If there is no improvement in our run defense, SDSU could realistically roll up close to 500 yards on the ground against us.

Here's to hoping that the coaching staff improves the 2013 defense like they did the 2012 offense.............

• 2 weeks later...

We need to keep marketing this schedule over and over during the coming months in all corners of the state. I forgot how good the schedule was until I just read this release. Our first 4 games are going to be entertaining and will tell us a lot about where the season is going to go.

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=206257161

Its a great start for an intro video, but it needs to conclude with a better pump up song to get both the players and crowd into the game more. "Back in Black" by ACDC doesn't have that pump up factor - its not too early to start brainstorming for some ideas!

Welcome to the Jungle or Enter Sandman should be our song.

The schedule was "officially" released and you can now buy or at least reserve season tickets.

http://www.undsports...399&SPSID=58644

Does anyone know if the Sacramento and Portland weekends got switched? I thought it was the opposite of what is now listed.

They did. I wonder why they did that? Scheduling conflict at the Alerus possibly?