SiouxSports.com Forum

Lucia speaks for Broten, Woog and Parise and saves the world

yababy8

Not sure I understand. UND will still have 11,500 fans in the arena whether the opponent is Manitoba or UMTC. Which opposing team has brought the most Gopher fans into Marriuci the past 10 years?

Manitoba? Really? I may have to look up attendance stats to verify that one.

Not sure I understand. UND will still have 11,500 fans in the arena whether the opponent is Manitoba or UMTC. Which opposing team has brought the most Gopher fans into Marriuci the past 10 years?

Not true. Yes they have it close to full most nights, but they rarely reach full capacity at REA anymore. Heck, against CC on Friday you can't say there was more than 7500 people there.

Not true. Yes they have it close to full most nights, but they rarely reach full capacity at REA anymore. Heck, against CC on Friday you can't say there was more than 7500 people there.

It is absolutely true, tickets sold are 11,500-12,000 most nights, go check the boxscores. The game on friday vs CC was during a blizzard warning, and there were still many people there. Don't even get started about actual butts in seats, you have a huge problem with that over at Mariucci.

I'm sure the weather had nothing to do with the lack of fans on Friday night. Many people come from several miles away to these games.

Might want to check this link:

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/almanac/attendance.php

It is absolutely true, tickets sold are 11,500-12,000 most nights, go check the boxscores. The game on friday vs CC was during a blizzard warning, and there were still many people there. Don't even get started about actual butts in seats, you have a huge problem with that over at Mariucci.

Not refuting tickets sold. That I know is true. Tickets used is another thing. Pretty tough to say what real attendance is now though because nobody goes by real attendance, they go by tickets sold. Yes, this includes UND. And yes I do agree, Minnesota needs to start giving out less tickets to corporations and let people buy them that actually want to use them because it's a flippin joke to have that many tickets go unused. Start giving the corporations more tickets to football or something. I'd really love to see the redemption rate of tickets given to corps.

Not refuting tickets sold. That I know is true. Tickets used is another thing. Pretty tough to say what real attendance is now though because nobody goes by real attendance, they go by tickets sold. Yes, this includes UND. And yes I do agree, Minnesota needs to start giving out less tickets to corporations and let people buy them that actually want to use them because it's a flippin joke to have that many tickets go unused. Start giving the corporations more tickets to football or something. I'd really love to see the redemption rate of tickets given to corps.

UND still gets the money for those tickets that were sold, don't they?

To my earlier point, I don't see how UND has more to lose than UMTC by losing this rivalry (as the previous poster claims).

Manitoba? Really? I may have to look up attendance stats to verify that one.

Exhibitions at REA:

2012 10,477 Manitoba

2011 11,576 Regina

2010 10,059 Manitoba

2009 10,779 Manitoba

2008 11,571 Manitoba

Average = 10,892 is more than a SRO sellout at Marriuci

Would that be the empty side of the arena that the cameras show in the Mariucci at every game?

In what way does Minnesota have to play all the in-state schools every year? Not only does their track record indicate that they could care less about those same schools but they don't have any sort of guidelines that require them to do so. Between you and Mariucci I can't tell who the biggest revisionist Is. Donny boy took your puck and went home. Fine, but to utilize conjured facts is farcical. Again, the nickname situation was settled soon enough for Wisconsin to get their near future games scheduled. Somehow that isn't soon enough for the mighy M. I mean I realize that Wisconsin's Athletics department makes yours look like a Sun Belt Conference Department already but I thought that was a running joke, I never for a second thought it was sooo close to the truth. And the fact that you just have to play these In State schools, because it's so important. Don't make me laugh. Water comes out of my nose and that hurts on a cold day such as this.

You can't simply go on the U of M track record with in-state schools to determine what "should" happen in BTHC schedule negotiations. Things change, particularly when its likely the Big Ten started negotiations with zero in-state obligations. I'm sure the smaller Mn schools bargained to get the U of M on the schedule. If you think UND is going to trump the MnSCU system just because the hockey is better, you're kidding yourself. One small example: Bemidji just built a new facility. Lucia has gone on record saying they want to do their part by keeping them in the schedule in part to help them justify the expense of the arena.

There are so many moving parts here we aren't privy to. You say Wisconsin figured it out, why didn't the U? Well perhaps because Wisconsin didn't have 4 other in state schools sucking at the teat -- who knows possibly even threatening legal action -- that freed UW up to make a UND contract agreement before the U of M figured it out. The point is WHO KNOWS? We weren't there.

To summarize the very little public knowledge we have on the whole negotiation as a coup by Lucia to get UND of the schedule is absolutely delusional. I don't know any other way to characterize it.

Butts in seats is only a fraction of the financial picture. You are ironically disregarding the TV deal that got us into this mess in the first place. That's where the dollars are. TV ads, corporate money, etc. When you look at the whole financial picture, UND and the U of M are completely different animals. I maybe shouldn't have said UND has more to lose, but they certainly have more modest revenue streams. Whether they change significantly with U of M off the schedule, I admit I have no idea.

Dude, I've had discussions with refs at Sugars after games there and they have very strong opinions that UND is the dirtiest team in the league. One official who I will not name called them "psychos." I swear he literally said that. Obviously BOTH teams are responsible with some of the fighting that goes on when they play but I GUARANTEE you that if there was a poll asking all WCHA fans who is the cheapest team in the league the winner would be UND hands down.

Funny, this season UND is 30th in Penalty Minutes. So I would doubt that the refs would be saying that this year.

Butts in seats is only a fraction of the financial picture. You are ironically disregarding the TV deal that got us into this mess in the first place. That's where the dollars are. TV ads, corporate money, etc. When you look at the whole financial picture, UND and the U of M are completely different animals. I maybe shouldn't have said UND has more to lose, but they certainly have more modest revenue streams. Whether they change significantly with U of M off the schedule, I admit I have no idea.

And the rest of the story: In switch, cable operators want to go "a la carte".

http://www.reuters.c...E78K05L20110927

Why would they do this - "Comcast Corp and Time Warner Cable, the two largest operators have lost 1.2 million video customers in the 12 months to June 30." People are walking away from cable because of cost. Who is driving the cost up - SPORTS.. Most people do not watch the Big Ten Network - but have to pay for it. When this happens all the conference networks ie Big 10 Network money dries up. I know that if I had the choice I would drop the Big Ten Network in a heartbeat.

And the rest of the story: In switch, cable operators want to go "a la carte".

http://www.reuters.c...E78K05L20110927

Why would they do this - "Comcast Corp and Time Warner Cable, the two largest operators have lost 1.2 million video customers in the 12 months to June 30." People are walking away from cable because of cost. Who is driving the cost up - SPORTS.. Most people do not watch the Big Ten Network - but have to pay for it. When this happens all the conference networks ie Big 10 Network money dries up. I know that if I had the choice I would drop the Big Ten Network in a heartbeat.

Excellent point. Exactly the reason I refuse to subscribe to pay tv now. Why should anyone need to pay for 100 plus channels when you only watch 10 of them? Once this ala carte hits our area, I'll subscribe to someone's service again. For now free tv via antenna works just fine. Maybe the big ten network could really find their true worth in our region. Could be some interesting results.

You can't simply go on the U of M track record with in-state schools to determine what "should" happen in BTHC schedule negotiations. Things change, particularly when its likely the Big Ten started negotiations with zero in-state obligations. I'm sure the smaller Mn schools bargained to get the U of M on the schedule. If you think UND is going to trump the MnSCU system just because the hockey is better, you're kidding yourself. One small example: Bemidji just built a new facility. Lucia has gone on record saying they want to do their part by keeping them in the schedule in part to help them justify the expense of the arena.

There are so many moving parts here we aren't privy to. You say Wisconsin figured it out, why didn't the U? Well perhaps because Wisconsin didn't have 4 other in state schools sucking at the teat -- who knows possibly even threatening legal action -- that freed UW up to make a UND contract agreement before the U of M figured it out. The point is WHO KNOWS? We weren't there.

To summarize the very little public knowledge we have on the whole negotiation as a coup by Lucia to get UND of the schedule is absolutely delusional. I don't know any other way to characterize it.

Mommy, mommy, uncle don won't play with me!! Waaahh....

I'm extremely pissed about it. I just understand that it's happening for a long list of reasons while most UND fans want to place most if not all the blame on Lucia which I don't think is fair or accurate.

Lucia said what he said. No matter what you say you cannot get around what he said.

I am getting really sick and tired of hearing this crap. For years, the U of M couldn't care less if schools like Bemidji State, Mankato State and St. Cloud State ever established themselves at the Division I level. They even pitched a hissy fit when KMSP-9 decided to air St. Cloud State games back in the 1990's, even though they had their own sweetheart cable deal with Midwest Sports Channel. Gopher propaganda outlets like Let's Play Hockey, WCCO's Sid Hartman and MSC made sure that most (if not all) media coverage focused on the Gophers and that's it. You wouldn't even know if anyone else had a Division I program in the state except for the mighty Golden Gophers (yes, even Duluth got ignored most of the time). But now, when the U of M needs an excuse not to play UND out of conference, all this love and affection for the State Universities of Minnesota suddenly comes out. What a crock of crap! :angry:

Please go to GPL or whereever else people will buy this garbage because nobody here is buying it without a gigantic block of salt.

Haha....you're right. Playing the rest of us in-state schools that MN has a much bigger relationship with than UND, is just an elaborate story so that MN can dodge UND. Just read that a few times and tell me that doesn't sound delusional.

EDIT: I'm not disputing that the rest of the schools have been ignored. They have, but this is taking it about 20 steps further.

Lucia said what he said. No matter what you say you cannot get around what he said.

True but if you think the coach has that much power over scheduling you might want to rethink that. Input? yes. Final say? No. I'm starting to think Lucia said that just to drive you all crazy. Who knows, he could be in his office reading all these whiny posts about ducking UND and laughing.

Haha....you're right. Playing the rest of us in-state schools that MN has a much bigger relationship with than UND, is just an elaborate story so that MN can dodge UND. Just read that a few times and tell me that doesn't sound delusional.

EDIT: I'm not disputing that the rest of the schools have been ignored. They have, but this is taking it about 20 steps further.

Just what is that much bigger relationship? Other than having MN in your name?

True but if you think the coach has that much power over scheduling you might want to rethink that. Input? yes. Final say? No. I'm starting to think Lucia said that just to drive you all crazy. Who knows, he could be in his office reading all these whiny posts about ducking UND and laughing.

Yeah, I guess the fact that Minnesota will play Notre Dame for the next 4 years....and Lucia's kid just happens to be playing for Notre Dame for the next four years is just a coincidence!!

It's not like Lucia said that he wants to continue the rivalry and play UND every year and when the schedule came out he was disappointed. He said that he does not want to play UND because it is not a "healty rivalry" and what do you know....they aren't on the schedule!! Belivee it or not, coaches have a greater say in who they play than you think.