SiouxSports.com Forum

Lucia speaks for Broten, Woog and Parise and saves the world

yababy8

Your screen name sure fits you perfectly!!

This is the same fan (he admitted it) that held up the "Robbie Bina rides the shortbus" sign at Mariucci one year. Well, some UND players who didn't dress that night went over and "relieved" this loser of his sign. Mercifully, they didn't do what they should have done to this person.

No respect for you, sir. Now maybe his name makes sense.

No they were not in support of this. You re-write history like the state of Texas.

Can you please give examples on how Minnesota was not suportive to the other DI Minnesota schools. Even Bale31, a Mankato fan, says that Minnesota was supportive to Mankato.

This is the same fan (he admitted it) that held up the "Robbie Bina rides the shortbus" sign at Mariucci one year. Well, some UND players who didn't dress that night went over and "relieved" this loser of his sign. Mercifully, they didn't do what they should have done to this person.

No respect for you, sir. Now maybe his name makes sense.

Yes, I believe there was an earlier reference to him 'turtling' when his sign was taken away?..I picture Lloyd from Dumb and Dumber curled up in the fetal position on the floor of the bathroom stall sucking his thumb...:)

I just couldn't let people come on here and insist that the U of M cared so much about other D-I programs in the state when they never have in the past.

And the U of M never bent over backwards to schedule these schools before they joined the WCHA. So, please explain these "big relationships" because I just don't see them.

In 2000, Don Lucia and the Gophers traveled to Bemidji to play one game against the Beavers in their own rink....repeat...the Gophers traveled to Bemidji to play in a rink that held 2,300 people. At the time with BSU just out of D2, that would be like the Yankees playing a game in Toledo against the Mudhens.

Bob Peters, Bemidji's legendary coach in the Pioneer Press: "We feel very fortunate to have the Gophers step in to help us with our transition to Division I. Don Lucia has picked up where John Mariucci left off in promoting college hockey in the state. From a fan-interest standpoint, it's colossal that these teams are playing us. Our season tickets and individual-game ticket sales have surpassed last season. And playing these teams has had a profound effect on our recruiting. We're on schedule to grow and develop Division I hockey in Bemidji."

Later in the 2000-01 season, Bemidji played at Mariucci Arena. Bemidji played two more games at Mariucci the following season and another series in 2003-04.

The U played St. Cloud State in Eveleth the first year the Huskies were a Division I independent. Minnesota played Mankato four times during its three year Division I independent phase. Don Lucia's CC team played a home and home with Mankato during the same period.

In 2000, Don Lucia and the Gophers traveled to Bemidji to play one game against the Beavers in their own rink....repeat...the Gophers traveled to Bemidji to play in a rink that held 2,300 people. At the time with BSU just out of D2, that would be like the Yankees playing a game in Toledo against the Mudhens.

Bob Peters, Bemidji's legendary coach in the Pioneer Press: "We feel very fortunate to have the Gophers step in to help us with our transition to Division I. Don Lucia has picked up where John Mariucci left off in promoting college hockey in the state. From a fan-interest standpoint, it's colossal that these teams are playing us. Our season tickets and individual-game ticket sales have surpassed last season. And playing these teams has had a profound effect on our recruiting. We're on schedule to grow and develop Division I hockey in Bemidji."

Later in the 2000-01 season, Bemidji played at Mariucci Arena. Bemidji played two more games at Mariucci the following season and another series in 2003-04.

The U played St. Cloud State in Eveleth the first year the Huskies were a Division I independent. Minnesota played Mankato four times during its three year Division I independent phase. Don Lucia's CC team played a home and home with Mankato during the same period.

Great post! It's just crazy for Sioux fans to claim the Minnesota program never supported the others in our state. They simply don't realize how important it was to make sure the U keeps playing those schools, far more important than playing UND.
  • Upvote 1

Let's not get too carried away here.

And playing these teams has had a profound effect on our recruiting. We're on schedule to grow and develop Division I hockey in Bemidji."

And UND played against BSU pretty much every year when they became a Division I team, to include playing numerous series in the John Glas field house. UND also played MSU-M pretty much every year through their transition to the WCHA. I wouldn't break your arm patting yourself on the back.

Great post! It's just crazy for Sioux fans to claim the Minnesota program never supported the others in our state. They simply don't realize how important it was to make sure the U keeps playing those schools, far more important than playing UND.

hmmmm...import is subjective...support is also a very loose term. In the early days it was a win-win: BSU, MSUM, SCSU get to play a relevant team, MN could look magnanimous while at the same time padding their record.

Here are the incidents that probably bother Lucia:

1. Handshake Line Fight

2. Wehrs getting smoked by Frattin

3. Tony Lucia getting chirped at

4. Hak flipping the bird

5. Kangas' cell phone number

6. Holy Cross

7. Going 1-4 in season ending games vs UND

8. The F the Gophers chant

9. The throwing of plastic cups and bottles on the ice

You compound all that stuff, and maybe it does need a cooling off period. Look, I love the rivalry, but it probably has gone over the top. I remember in the 2004 Final Five when the Gophers beat the Sioux in the final in an epic game, there was clearly respect among and between like Zach Parise and Drew Stafford and Matt Greene and Thomas Vanek and Keith Ballard and Paul Martin and, and, and...I don't know if that respect is still there among the players...

• Upvote 1

hmmmm...import is subjective...support is also a very loose term. In the early days it was a win-win: BSU, MSUM, SCSU get to play a relevant team, MN could look magnanimous while at the same time padding their record.

1. Handshake Line Fight

4. Hak flipping the bird

6. Holy Cross

You compound all that stuff, and maybe it does need a cooling off period. Look, I love the rivalry, but it probably has gone over the top. I remember in the 2004 Final Five when the Gophers beat the Sioux in the final in an epic game, there was clearly respect among and between like Zach Parise and Drew Stafford and Matt Greene and Thomas Vanek and Keith Ballard and Paul Martin and, and, and...I don't know if that respect is still there among the players...

You left out number 10...getting drilled by UND as a player for Notre Dame (the Other uND) in the NCAA's in the early 80's...;)

As a somewhat grounded member of the Sioux fanbase, I apologize for that behavior. It is unacceptable in any setting, and it is unfortunate that I share the same team allegiance as animals like that. Neither program has a monopoly on classless fans, but I sincerely apologize that your children were subjected to that. I would wish every fan visiting our arena (especially children) an awesome experience in all ways (except for on the scoreboard at the end of the game).

I agree with you. Last year at the Final Five a Gopher fan started saying very terrible things to my buddy (who is a UND fan). So I just stepped in and told him to shut the hell up and that he was making our whole fan base look bad with his BS. There was definitely more said but I can't repeat that on here :D Fans like that are a disgrace, no matter the sport.

• Upvote 1

1. Handshake Line Fight

4. Hak flipping the bird

6. Holy Cross

Obviously you'll get drilled by fellow UND fans because of this but you really do make good points. Can't deny that.

• Upvote 1

I agree with you. Last year at the Final Five a Gopher fan started saying very terrible things to my buddy (who is a UND fan). So I just stepped in and told him to shut the hell up and that he was making our whole fan base look bad with his BS. There was definitely more said but I can't repeat that on here :D Fans like that are a disgrace, no matter the sport.

I got called a derogatory term for a female that rhymes with bore for saying "Excuse me" to a Gopher fan that was blocking my spot at Mariucci last year. What a nice fellow. I hope I see him this weekend.

Every fanbase has their bad seeds. Even if you keep your mouth shut, you still get egged on by certain fans. Some people are better at not engaging than others.

I got called a derogatory term for a female that rhymes with bore for saying "Excuse me" to a Gopher fan that was blocking my spot at Mariucci last year. What a nice fellow. I hope I see him this weekend.

Every fanbase has their bad seeds. Even if you keep your mouth shut, you still get egged on by certain fans. Some people are better at not engaging than others.

Exactly. I HATE all fans like that. It's one thing to support your team and hate your rival, but to personally attack people for no reason other than being a fan of a team you don't like is completely uncalled for. Just my two cents, I guess.

Anything regarding the actual points I made or just your usual witty and well thought out comment? It's weird that a Gopher fan keeps lurking around a Sioux Sports message board.

Oh, you know you'd miss us if we weren't here. Without us it would be...

"I think UND is the greatest team ever."

"No I think they are even greater than you do."

"But I think they'll win 3 titles in a row."

"Only 3? I see 5."

And so on. Our presence mixes it up a bit to give you a point to focus your hatred upon and increase the entertainment value for all. Right? ;)

Lucia on KFAN right now. Charchian and PA hammered him with questions about Big 10 hockey, breaking up the WCHA, he got questions on "Why not OK for Sioux but it's OK for Fighting Irish"...deflected those questions by saying "ask the administrators, that's above my paygrade, ask the NCAA, etc. I'm surprised they're asking him some of this and not sucking his lollipop. Lucia sounds frustrated. Admits that his son going to Notre Dame had something to do with scheduling them. That's my very quick recap.

This cant be true. Lucia and the Gophers ended UND's season in 2002 and last year so there's 2 wins right there.

And UND played against BSU pretty much every year when they became a Division I team, to include playing numerous series in the John Glas field house. UND also played MSU-M pretty much every year through their transition to the WCHA. I wouldn't break your arm patting yourself on the back.

Did you even bother reading the quote I was responding to?

Lucia sounds frustrated. Admits that his son going to Notre Dame had something to do with scheduling them. That's my very quick recap.

So I was 100% right when I said earlier this week that he most likely scheduled ND because of his son. Although I did say he probably wouldn't admit it...I was wrong there haha.

Lucia on the UND series this morning, "The reality is, if there was no nickname issue we'd probably be playing next year."

Have not posted here for quite a while. That being said now is a good time to break the silence. (not that anyone really cared :) )

I will miss the rivalry as far as the talent level of the team to be named later goes. They have always been competitive, even more so late in the season when it counts most. It will be tough to find the intensity anywhere else.

I can do without the post whistle sillyness that always seems to occur when MN plays the team from 94 West. I am sure it happens when the Gophers play other teams as well, but definitely not with the frequency I have seen historicly, and I expect to see this weekend.

Regarding the fan base... Welll, if I never see another Whioux fan, I am good with that. I am sure that there are decent, grounded fans of your team out there, but I have not met them. When your fan base started hurling F-Bombs at my 5 year olds in Grand Forks a few years back, you lost me. If they wanted to rip me because I was wearing Maroon and Gold, that is fine. (dumb, but fine) I am a big boy and I can dela with it. But when groups of people start yelling and swearing at kids, (adults were doing this, not teenagers) it is pretty disgusting. Not sure how that made them feel tough, dropping the FBomb on kids til they cried and laughing. Pretty pathetic.

So, if I never come across a ND fan again, fine with me. You will not be missed.

Meanwhile, it should be a good series this weekend. Hopefully the games are close, and no one gets hurt.

Wow is this pathetic! I could give examples of this at the REA from goof fans during a home game against the rodents. My daughter was 8 than, and the jerk of was trying to pick a fight with a 70 year old Sioux fan. But hey, make sure your claim "all Sioux fans are like the ones you encountered" Maybe I should do the same? Tool......