SiouxSports.com Forum

Lucia speaks for Broten, Woog and Parise and saves the world

yababy8

The Minnesota Gophers are "ducking" UND. Whether it is actually true or not, this is what everyone is saying. Perception is reality.

Just like Bison football is ducking UND. And Alabama football is ducking the Bison. etc etc etc

Its time to move on guys, the horse is dead and you've beating it into a pile of dust.

Oh really? I didn't realize Wisconsin had 4 other D-1 hockey programs in their state they need to schedule? :silly: The Gophers are obviously forced to play the Big Ten schedule, then their first priority, and rightly so, was to make sure we play our in-state schools. After that there simply is not enough room to play UND every year. Some years yes but not every year. Lucia also wants to make sure we continue to play DU and CC some years as well. There's just no way the Gophers and Sioux can play every year its just not realistic.

Now fill in UND/Minnesota with Ohio State/Michigan, Duke/North Carolina, and fill in there just isn't enough room, and that is how completely ridiculous this sounds. Ohio State really needs to play Youngstown State, or Michigan really needs to play Western Michigan, "There just isn't enough room". I would hope that more gopher fans don't feel the way you feel, because to me those thoughts are just ridiculous.

Truth? On this site? Good luck.

Here's a truth for you, In the 11 years ('99-'10) that Bemidji became a D-1 program and before they were in the WCHA, Minnesota played them a total of 7 times (6 in Mpls), while ND played them 15 times (10 in GF). Minnesota didn't care much to schedule this in-state school what amounts to a series every 3 years. ND and Bemidji played in 8 of the 11 years. Now it is supposedly important that Minnesota keeps the in-state schools on a yearly schedule and ND maybe every 3-4 years? They are clearly ducking ND.

Oh really? I didn't realize Wisconsin had 4 other D-1 hockey programs in their state they need to schedule? :silly: The Gophers are obviously forced to play the Big Ten schedule, then their first priority, and rightly so, was to make sure we play our in-state schools. After that there simply is not enough room to play UND every year. Some years yes but not every year. Lucia also wants to make sure we continue to play DU and CC some years as well. There's just no way the Gophers and Sioux can play every year its just not realistic.

Once again you have contradictions. Lucia wants to play DU and CC you say? I thought this whole thing is because Lucia didn't have control over anything. You were also the one arguing adamantly that Lucia really wants to play this series all the time, but his hands are tied. Your tune changed a little bit when the "unhealthy rivalry" talk came up. It is hard to take you seriously when you continually play both sides. You used to add something to the conversation, now you seem like just a pawn.

Now fill in UND/Minnesota with Ohio State/Michigan, Duke/North Carolina, and fill in there just isn't enough room, and that is how completely ridiculous this sounds. Ohio State really needs to play Youngstown State, or Michigan really needs to play Western Michigan, "There just isn't enough room". I would hope that more gopher fans don't feel the way you feel, because to me those thoughts are just ridiculous.

Mariucci had an extra big glass of the Gofer Kool-aid...:)

Here's a truth for you, In the 11 years ('99-'10) that Bemidji became a D-1 program and before they were in the WCHA, Minnesota played them a total of 7 times (6 in Mpls), while ND played them 15 times (10 in GF). Minnesota didn't care much to schedule this in-state school what amounts to a series every 3 years. ND and Bemidji played in 8 of the 11 years. Now it is supposedly important that Minnesota keeps the in-state schools on a yearly schedule and ND maybe every 3-4 years? They are clearly ducking ND.

Two very good posts. UMN is ducking UND.

Wisconsin, has had the same obstacles in place that both the U of M and Iowa in regards to scheduling UND teams. Yet, they scheduled UND for future non-conference play. The nickname issue had been settled before scheduling had began for future years. This is just Gopher Fans drinking the of their Athletic Department (who use it as a convenient excuse) and knows their fan base aren't smart enough to follow an historical time-line.

Reality for me, the Golden One's coach wants no part of this series anymore, and that's fine...but don't try lay it on thick that there were these big obstacles in the way. I'm going to miss the rivalry, tremendously. But when and if they want to come back to scheduling the series- they

A. Do it on our terms

and B. Continue it on a regular basis...none of this start stop garbage.

In what way does Wisconsin have to play 4 in-state teams each year?

If I sound mad, I am, because I hate to see a great rivalry the likes of the ones I mentioned, go by the wayside because of... whatever. It doesn't make sense to me. I would have thought that more Minnesota fans would be mad as well. Guess I was wrong, they seem to want to only tow the company line.

Once again you have contradictions. Lucia wants to play DU and CC you say? I thought this whole thing is because Lucia didn't have control over anything. You were also the one arguing adamantly that Lucia really wants to play this series all the time, but his hands are tied. Your tune changed a little bit when the "unhealthy rivalry" talk came up. It is hard to take you seriously when you continually play both sides. You used to add something to the conversation, now you seem like just a pawn.

Ive heard him say he would like to play CC and DU at some point as well which makes sense. I think it would be wrong for the U to make sure we play UND every year and blow off those two schools who we also have a long history with. Lucia definitely can't be blamed for two things. First, the situation surrounding the Sioux nickname at the time schedules were being made. And second, the fact that we need to play the other 4 in state programs every year.

If I sound mad, I am, because I hate to see a great rivalry the likes of the ones I mentioned, go by the wayside because of... whatever. It doesn't make sense to me. I would have thought that more Minnesota fans would be mad as well. Guess I was wrong, they seem to want to only tow the company line.

I'm extremely pissed about it. I just understand that it's happening for a long list of reasons while most UND fans want to place most if not all the blame on Lucia which I don't think is fair or accurate.

You do sound mad. I affirm your anger. It's still delusional to put this all on Lucia.

I'm not here to flame ss.com. My first post was complimentary. But now you're just starting to sound like a scorned lover.

I guess we'll never agree, because Hakstol has bent over backwards holding dates, agreeing to once a year, during midweek, etc. while all you get from Lucia are contradictions to what has been the case up until now. They need to play Bemidji, they really need to play out east more. If you really wanted to get it done you wouldn't be making long-term agreements. Wanting the rivalry and not putting blame on Lucia are at cross purposes. Lucia is the one that is suggesting having a series in Mariucci every four years. I think Doug Woog would be pressing a little harder and using some leverage to make it happen every year, if not every other. My dad may never see another Sioux/Gopher series after this year, and much of that can be attributed to Lucia.

I guess we'll never agree, because Hakstol has bent over backwards holding dates, agreeing to once a year, during midweek, etc. while all you get from Lucia are contradictions to what has been the case up until now. They need to play Bemidji, they really need to play out east more. If you really wanted to get it done you wouldn't be making long-term agreements. Wanting the rivalry and not putting blame on Lucia are at cross purposes. Lucia is the one that is suggesting having a series in Mariucci every four years. I think Doug Woog would be pressing a little harder and using some leverage to make it happen every year, if not every other. My dad may never see another Sioux/Gopher series after this year, and much of that can be attributed to Lucia.

Its very easy to speculate who is calling the shots and moving the goal posts. Could be Maturi, could be Lucia, could be Kaeler, could be the regents, etc etc. I've never run an NCAA division 1 hockey program so I have no idea how exactly the scheduling works.

Has anyone here run a division 1 hockey program? Could you please fill us in.

You do sound mad. I affirm your anger. It's still delusional to put this all on Lucia.

I'm not here to flame ss.com. My first post was complimentary. But now you're just starting to sound like a scorned lover.

Actions speak louder than words. People have given you plenty of circumstances where the actions of the past don't meet up with his concerns or interests now. Obviously the rivalry isn't important to some Minnesota fans because if it is a rivalry the likes of the greats then I can't imagine you would be hearing the kind of talk from those schools as you do from Minnesota, specifically Lucia's words. Actions do speak louder than words, but words count as well, and both don't reflect wanting the continuation of the rivalry, on anything but a very limited basis.

In what way does Wisconsin have to play 4 in-state teams each year?

In what way does Minnesota have to play all the in-state schools every year? Not only does their track record indicate that they could care less about those same schools but they don't have any sort of guidelines that require them to do so. Between you and Mariucci I can't tell who the biggest revisionist Is. Donny boy took your puck and went home. Fine, but to utilize conjured facts is farcical. Again, the nickname situation was settled soon enough for Wisconsin to get their near future games scheduled. Somehow that isn't soon enough for the mighy M. I mean I realize that Wisconsin's Athletics department makes yours look like a Sun Belt Conference Department already but I thought that was a running joke, I never for a second thought it was sooo close to the truth. And the fact that you just have to play these In State schools, because it's so important. Don't make me laugh. Water comes out of my nose and that hurts on a cold day such as this.

I don't understand why this is still going on. To me it sure sounds like the fans are upset because they are being left behind and won't get their shot at the Gophers anymore. Why is there no outrage about a rivalry with BC? You played them several years in the NCAAs. Why not rage on getting a regular season series with them scheduled?

You want to blame Lucia, fine. I'm sure he had a say in it. But he's looking forward to new rivalries with Michigan schools instead of trying to keep UND going where we all know it's only a matter of time before someone gets very seriously injured during this series given how things have gone, which would be way worse than someone getting stripped of their A. I bet that has a lot to do with why Lucia wants to let this one cool off. I also enjoy all the love for Woog. It's safe to like him now because he's gone from the program. Everyone needs to get over it and move on because it just isn't going to happen.

I don't doubt Hakstol and UND have done everything in their power to continue the rivalry as a two game series each year. He'd be an idiot not to. It's definitely one feather removed from his recruiting cap. Granted the program stands on it's own as a great one with great facilities, but not being able to guarantee a yearly chance to pound rodents may give some iron rangers (and Kristo types) pause on attending UND. I'm not at all saying it a big recruiting disadvantage, but it certainly could be a negative for some recruits.

The bottom line is, from a financial standpoint the U of M has much less to lose than UND and they are making that obvious with their matter-of-fact approach to the negotiation.

I don't doubt Hakstol and UND have done everything in their power to continue the rivalry as a two game series each year. He'd be an idiot not to. It's definitely one feather removed from his recruiting cap. Granted the program stands on it's own as a great one with great facilities, but not being able to guarantee a yearly chance to pound rodents may give some iron rangers (and Kristo types) pause on attending UND. I'm not at all saying it a big recruiting disadvantage, but it certainly could be a negative for some recruits.

The bottom line is, from a financial standpoint the U of M has much less to lose than UND and they are making that obvious with their matter-of-fact approach to the negotiation.

Not sure I understand. UND will still have 11,500 fans in the arena whether the opponent is Manitoba or UMTC. Which opposing team has brought the most Gopher fans into Marriuci the past 10 years?

• Upvote 1