SiouxSports.com Forum

Lucia speaks for Broten, Woog and Parise and saves the world

yababy8

Your right, Minnesota fans will cheer when Zach scores for the the Wild because he plays for the Wild not UND. Just like UND fans cheer for Mitch MacMillan now since he plays for UND not Saint Cloud State. Point is who cares who their previous team was, it is their current team they play for is all that matters.

Two words...

Brett. Favre.

Run your mouth all game long and then take it to a personal level in the hand shake line, then its time to pay the piper(Blood). Rau is the consummate definition of pussy. Sometimes if you want to play the game you have to buy the ticket. Blood was just taking payment.

Id say payment was just the ante someday in some AHL rink next year Blood will meet up with Ms Rau again....

What exactly will save him then..some things in hockey are understood as acceptable, what rau said isnt one of those things and may God, and Blood, have mercy on him after he has to face the music without a cage or a ref in front of him.

At a blueline luncheon a few years ago Hakstol was asked about his fight with Ben Hankinson. He said "I got a few licks in on Ben and he got a few licks in on me, it was pretty much a draw, when we see each other now we laugh about it". They seem like they are pretty good friends . So, I guess Hakstol's interpretation is a little bit different from you saying "Hak schooled Ben Hankinson".

Hak being nice because it was far from being a draw. How could Hankinson got any licks in when his jersey was wrapped over his head?

Figured the post would come to this. Can't imagine College refs wasting their time discussing college teams with fans but I suppose some of them are that stupid. Officials are not supposed to make those remarks even if they are true. For some reason I doubt that the Mariucci "Doood" is a respected sports fan who an intelligent ref would want to sit and have a beer with. It is a no win situation for the ref. Too many of these guys are half in the bag and too unpredictable. I would take his bet if I could bet that hockey fans across the country will typically pick their rival as the "cheapest" team. Doesn't matter because it is irrelevant.

This is one of the greatest college sports rivalries. Big city, big University, long storied hockey tradition for the school and for the state. Next door smaller school, state population less than metro area also with long storied hockey tradition. They go up against each other for the same recruits. Both schools have had cheap shot artists (not sure if I recall any worse than Burgraff) but the Gophers have had just as many. Both schools have obnoxious fans and both have great fans. Both schools have had coaches say or do dumb-ass stuff over the years. I hope this thread doesn't continue with the crap about whose team has a goon or who started whcih altercation. Who the hell cares? If we aren't competing on the ice, it is all irrelevant.

I believe that Wisconsin's Alvarez is as responsible as anyone for the breakup of the WCHA. I believe he sees the Big 10 as a vehicle for more TV revenue and I believe he thinks it will hurt UND, Denver, Duluth and CC. If he can hurt those schools, then he thinks it will benefit the Badgers. I believe Lucia sees an opportunity to hurt UND's schedule by not scheduling UND. I don't believe there are Gopher players who don't want to continue the rivalry. That is what competitors want, to always measure up against the best. The Sioux and Gophers are two of the best. The games between these teams are typically sold out are are great for college hockey. The only reason I see for Lucia to stop the rivalry is to hurt UND. True hockey fans on both sides want to see the rivalry continue.

Good post. I'm a Gopher fan but thought I'd chime in here. The wishes of the Big Ten as a whole are going to trump our wishes as WCHA fans 100% of the time. Sure, men's hockey has a great conference and a great rivalry with a handful of smaller/private schools. But you know what that gets you in a bigwig Big Ten boardroom? Bupkis. Nothing. Forces 1000x larger than UND have been moving against your cause for years. Sorry, but that's just the case. TV deals are everything now, unfortunately. In huge $ conferences with their own TV channels, ADs travel by private plane and move teams like U of M and Wisconsin out of the WCHA with the stoke of the pen.

As far as the Lucia bashing, I understand its rivalry week, but it's completely misplaced rage. Lucia is a product of the athletic department and they are beholden to the Big 10. Seriously, there's no conspiracy to relegate UND and others to the sideline. It's simply big time administrators making decisions that move the needle on the bottom line.

(Full disclosure, on GPL I've said I wont miss this regular season series. I think we'll meet in the NCAAs enough to scratch the itch. Plus it looks like we'll meet about every other year after the initial 4 year break.)

Good post. I'm a Gopher fan but thought I'd chime in here. The wishes of the Big Ten as a whole are going to trump our wishes as WCHA fans 100% of the time. Sure, men's hockey has a great conference and a great rivalry with a handful of smaller/private schools. But you know what that gets you in a bigwig Big Ten boardroom? Bupkis. Nothing. Forces 1000x larger than UND have been moving against your cause for years. Sorry, but that's just the case. TV deals are everything now, unfortunately. In huge $ conferences with their own TV channels, ADs travel by private plane and move teams like U of M and Wisconsin out of the WCHA with the stoke of the pen.

As far as the Lucia bashing, I understand its rivalry week, but it's completely misplaced rage. Lucia is a product of the athletic department and they are beholden to the Big 10. Seriously, there's no conspiracy to relegate UND and others to the sideline. It's simply big time administrators making decisions that move the needle on the bottom line.

(Full disclosure, on GPL I've said I wont miss this regular season series. I think we'll meet in the NCAAs enough to scratch the itch. Plus it looks like we'll meet about every other year after the initial 4 year break.)

How is it misplaced rage when Lucia himself is the one saying they shouldn't play every year. It came from his own mouth that playing once every four years in each teams home rink is fine.

How is it misplaced rage when Lucia himself is the one saying they shouldn't play every year. It came from his own mouth that playing once every four years in each teams home rink is fine.

The 4 year break starting next year is because he wasn't allowed to schedule UND until the naming stuff got taken care of. Total bureaucratic bs, but hardly his fault. So UND is replaced by ND. Self-serving choice, given Mario goes there? Maybe partly, but they are a formidable opponent and given that he was going to pick from a central or eastern team, I'd say ND is one of maybe only 4-6 that are appropriate temporary replacements for UND.

Given the constraints, playing UND twice (one home, one away) every 4 years is actually a lot more than we should reasonably expect. The U of M only has 4 non-conference games to play with because we have to play our in-state teams. Someone over on GPL explained it well.. basically the U of M has a vested interest in keeping the smaller Minnesota U of M schools happy. In addition, these schools probably raised holy hell to make sure the U of M (and the money generated) came to visit once a year.

I'm not sure how you pin this whole mess on Lucia. As I said earlier, forces MUCH bigger than the WCHA commish have been at work for years to put their own product on their own TV channel. Lucia just happened to be at the helm when it happened.

The 4 year break starting next year is because he wasn't allowed to schedule UND until the naming stuff got taken care of. Total bureaucratic bs, but hardly his fault. So UND is replaced by ND. Self-serving choice, given Mario goes there? Maybe partly, but they are a formidable opponent and given that he was going to pick from a central or eastern team, I'd say ND is one of maybe only 4-6 that are appropriate temporary replacements for UND.

Given the constraints, playing UND twice (one home, one away) every 4 years is actually a lot more than we should reasonably expect. The U of M only has 4 non-conference games to play with because we have to play our in-state teams. Someone over on GPL explained it well.. basically the U of M has a vested interest in keeping the smaller Minnesota U of M schools happy. In addition, these schools probably raised holy hell to make sure the U of M (and the money generated) came to visit once a year.

I'm not sure how you pin this whole mess on Lucia. As I said earlier, forces MUCH bigger than the WCHA commish have been at work for years to put their own product on their own TV channel. Lucia just happened to be at the helm when it happened.

All interesting points. However, if you really want to find a way to make it happen, it could be done. That effort is not being made in the Twin Cities.

How'd that work out for ZP? Oh yeah, with UMN winning its second national title in a row and UND hanging no banners while he was there.

Pretty good....he developed into a top 15 player in the NHL. What player from that Gopher team went on to being one of the BEST in the NHL?!? Please don't say Vanek...because he is on the third line in Buffalo.

All interesting points. However, if you really want to find a way to make it happen, it could be done. That effort is not being made in the Twin Cities.

True. The effort isn't there because they want to push the new conference and try to move forward past all the B1G hate. There isn't enough that want to make it happen so I think they compromised with waiting a few years.

Must keep series going

Doug Woog, Lucia's predecessor, said the series has to continue.

"There is no reason not to play. You can't give me one," Woog said http://www.startribu...e/?id=133207458

You know, I loved ripping on Wooger when I was a student, but he's a decent guy and has always looked at UND as a true rival and respects us as a program. Unlike someone else we know. :whistling:

Wisconsin, has had the same obstacles in place that both the U of M and Iowa in regards to scheduling UND teams. Yet, they scheduled UND for future non-conference play. The nickname issue had been settled before scheduling had began for future years. This is just Gopher Fans drinking the of their Athletic Department (who use it as a convenient excuse) and knows their fan base aren't smart enough to follow an historical time-line.

Reality for me, the Golden One's coach wants no part of this series anymore, and that's fine...but don't try lay it on thick that there were these big obstacles in the way. I'm going to miss the rivalry, tremendously. But when and if they want to come back to scheduling the series- they

A. Do it on our terms

and B. Continue it on a regular basis...none of this start stop garbage.

If you don't think that most of this is Lucia's decision, you are being delusional. I don't think the administration is saying it is an unhealthy rivalry. Where there is smoke there is fire, and the smoke is coming from Lucia. So for years Minnesota didn't play out east, now Lucia is being forced to play out east? I said over a year ago before they even started to schedule Notre Dame and such that Lucia would not want to play and was told by gopher fans that he most certainly did, and then I said the proof would be in the pudding.

Must keep series going

Doug Woog, Lucia's predecessor, said the series has to continue.

"There is no reason not to play. You can't give me one," Woog said http://www.startribu...e/?id=133207458

I think it is funny how the article says that Lucia looks back fondly on Ballard pulling the jersey over Lundbohm's head. That is pure gopher, do something to infuriate the other players, then cry cheap when somebody comes back at you. I guess that shows me that he taught Tony Lucia the same, and why Jones blew up on him.

Little Known Facts About MINNESOTA

>>>

>>> Minnesota became the 32nd state on May 11, 1858 and was originally

>>> settled by a lost tribe of Norwegians seeking refuge from the searing

>>> heat of Wisconsin's winters.

>>>

>>> The state flag of Minnesota consists of a blue background upon which

>>> sits a design best described as "how a 7-year- old city girl would draw

>>> a picture titled 'life on the farm'".

>>>

>>> Minnesota gets its name from the Sioux Indian word "mah-nee-soo-tah",

>>> meaning, "No, really... they eat fish soaked in lye".

>>>

>>> The state song of Minnesota is "Someday the Vikings will... Aw, never

>>> mind".

>>>

>>> The Mall of America in Bloomington, Minnesota covers 9.5 million square

>>> feet and has enough space to hold 185,000 idiot teenagers yapping away

>>> on cell phones.

>>>

>>> Madison, Minnesota is known as "the lutefisk capital of the world".

>>> Avoid this city at all costs.

>>>

>>> "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" was set in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and was

>>> Mary's first real acting job since leaving the "Dick van Dyke Show". The

>>> show about a single woman's struggle to find happiness in the big city

>>> ..

>>>

>>> The state motto of Minnesota at one time was "Where even a man who wears

>>> a feather boa can be governor." Now it's "Where even Stuart Smalley can

>>> be Senator."

>>>

>>> Downtown Minneapolis has an enclosed skyway system covering 52 blocks,

>>> allowing people to live, work, eat, and sleep without ever going

>>> outside.. The only downside to this is that a Norwegian occasionally

>>> turns up missing.

>>>

>>> Cartoonist Charles M. Shultz was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota and grew

>>> up in St. Paul. He was the only artist to accurately depict the

>>> perfectly circular heads of Minnesota natives.

>>>

>>> The Hormel Company of Austin, Minnesota produces 6 million cans of spam

>>> a year, even though no one actually eats it. Spam is a prized food in

>>> Japan.

>>>

>>> Water skis were invented in 1922 in Lake City, Minnesota by Ralph

>>> Samuelson. Sadly, he drowned shortly afterwards, as the motorboat hadn't

>>> been invented yet.

>>>

>>> St. Paul, Minnesota was originally named "Pig's Eye", after French

>>> Canadian whiskey trader Pierre "pig's eye" Parrot. Its "twin city",

>>> Minneapolis, was known as "Pig's Colon".

>>>

>>> The stapler was invented in Swingline, Minnesota by a chubby, mumbling

>>> man named Milton in 1899. The city was mysteriously destroyed by fire

>>> later that year.

>>>

>>> Pelican Rapids is home to a 16-foot-tall concrete pelican, which

>>> subsists on a diet of 4-foot-long concrete fish.

>>>

>>> In 1973, Olivia, Minnesota, erected a 25-foot tall fiberglass corn cob

>>> to celebrate its rich, agricultural heritage. Then in 1974, it was eaten

>>> by a 50-foot statue of Babe the blue ox. Yes, Minnesota has a lot of

>>> problems with statue cannibalism.

>>>

>>> Minnesota license plates are blue & white and contain the phrase

>>> "Blizzards on Independence Day - you get used to it."

>>>

>>> Frank C. Mars, founder of the Mars Candy Co. was born in Newport,

>>> Minnesota. His 3 Musketeers candy bar originally contained three bars in

>>> one wrapper, each filled with a different flavor of nougat - chocolate,

>>> spam, and lutefisk.

>>>

>>> The first fully automatic pop-up toaster was invented in Minneapolis,

>>> Minnesota in 1926. Minnesota's stringent bread-control laws currently

>>> only allow residents to own semi-automatic toasters.

>>>

>>> Tonka trucks continue to be manufactured in Minnetonka, Minnesota,

>>> despite the thousands of GI Joe dolls killed by them annually in

>>> rollover accidents. No airbags, no seat belts. These things are

>>> deathtraps, I tell ya!

>>>

>>> Author Laura Ingalls Wilder was raised at Walnut Grove, Minnesota, and

>>> was famous for writing the "Little House" series of books, as well as

>>> inventing the "spam diet" which consists of looking at a plate of spam

>>> until you lose your appetite. Much like the "lutefisk diet".

>>>

>>> The snowmobile was invented in Roseau, Minnesota so as to allow families

>>> a means of attending Independence Day picnics.

>>>

>>> Minnesotans are almost indistinguishable from Wisconsinites. The only

>>> way to tell them apart is to ask if they voted for Mondale in '84.

>>>

>>> Now... it's up to you to forward this to all your friends

>>>

>>> If one of them does not forward it to others, he/she will be given an

>>> entrance pin to attend the Eelpout Festival in Walker, MN, February

>>> 18-20, 2011.

>>>

>>> If your other friend doesn't forward this to others he/she will be given

>>> tickets to a Minnesota Vikings meet-and-greet and he/she won't know

>>> anyone there, unless yet another friend has not complied and received

>>> free tickets also.

>>>

>>> If you have think you have three friends or more, you're a little too

>>> extroverted and smug and you probably don't belong in Minnesota anyway

• Upvote 1

Wisconsin, has had the same obstacles in place that both the U of M and Iowa in regards to scheduling UND teams. Yet, they scheduled UND for future non-conference play.

Oh really? I didn't realize Wisconsin had 4 other D-1 hockey programs in their state they need to schedule? :silly: The Gophers are obviously forced to play the Big Ten schedule, then their first priority, and rightly so, was to make sure we play our in-state schools. After that there simply is not enough room to play UND every year. Some years yes but not every year. Lucia also wants to make sure we continue to play DU and CC some years as well. There's just no way the Gophers and Sioux can play every year its just not realistic.

Oh really? I didn't realize Wisconsin had 4 other D-1 hockey programs in their state they need to schedule? :silly: The Gophers are obviously forced to play the Big Ten schedule, then their first priority, and rightly so, was to make sure we play our in-state schools. After that there simply is not enough room to play UND every year. Some years yes but not every year. Lucia also wants to make sure we continue to play DU and CC some years as well. There's just no way the Gophers and Sioux can play every year its just not realistic.

I am getting really sick and tired of hearing this crap. For years, the U of M couldn't care less if schools like Bemidji State, Mankato State and St. Cloud State ever established themselves at the Division I level. They even pitched a hissy fit when KMSP-9 decided to air St. Cloud State games back in the 1990's, even though they had their own sweetheart cable deal with Midwest Sports Channel. Gopher propaganda outlets like Let's Play Hockey, WCCO's Sid Hartman and MSC made sure that most (if not all) media coverage focused on the Gophers and that's it. You wouldn't even know if anyone else had a Division I program in the state except for the mighty Golden Gophers (yes, even Duluth got ignored most of the time). But now, when the U of M needs an excuse not to play UND out of conference, all this love and affection for the State Universities of Minnesota suddenly comes out. What a crock of crap! :angry:

Please go to GPL or whereever else people will buy this garbage because nobody here is buying it without a gigantic block of salt.

I am getting really sick and tired of hearing this crap. For years, the U of M couldn't care less if schools like Bemidji State, Mankato State and St. Cloud State ever established themselves at the Division I level. They even pitched a hissy fit when KMSP-9 decided to air St. Cloud State games back in the 1990's, even though they had their own sweetheart cable deal with Midwest Sports Channel. Gopher propaganda outlets like Let's Play Hockey, WCCO's Sid Hartman and MSC made sure that most (if not all) media coverage focused on the Gophers and that's it. You wouldn't even know if anyone else had a Division I program in the state except for the mighty Golden Gophers (yes, even Duluth got ignored most of the time). But now, when the U of M needs an excuse not to play UND out of conference, all this love and affection for the State Universities of Minnesota suddenly comes out. What a crock of crap! :angry:

Please go to GPL or whereever else people will buy this garbage because nobody here is buying it without a gigantic block of salt.

Man, how spot on is this post! And shortbusguy's reply above says something about his "family and this new girl out east". "Family" in this situation must represent the other Minnesota schools. To hear them being referred to as family by the Gopher faithful is funny! :lol:

You seriously don't have a clue what you're talking about. In fact I think it's almost impossible to be as wrong as you are in this post. Wow.