SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 WCHA Final Five

Frozen4sioux

Ask yourself this Lucia, What would Herb Brooks say about the Sioux v Gophers rivalry and the importance of preserving it? What would Neil Broten say? Pete Hankinson? Eddie Belfour? Blake Wheeler?, How bout your predecessor Woogie?..

GO SIOUX!!!!

I would like to know what Doug Woog thinks of the rivalry taking a break.

What should be annoying is Minnesota's deep disrespect for college hockey as demonstrated by the following:

First Minnesota had a significant negative impact on the Sioux keeping their name and for no reason other than politically correct stupidity and maybe some spite at the fact that the Sioux were stealing some of their talent (See parise) and consistently humiliating them in regard to performance? (See season turning dismantling of their first placed, top ranked teams in more than one year. See Ralph Engelstad Arena. See the comparison between the Sioux and the Gophers overall accomplishments the last several seasons)

Now add it what Lucia said and did regarding one of college sports greatest rivalries, He made it all very clear when he said the following to explain and justify why he blew-off scheduling games against the Sioux for the next three years!! "It isn't a healthy rivalry" and you get a little peak into the mind of a pathetic man who can't handle being soundly beaten so he conjures a self-serving paradigm that does nothing positive for anyone, is totally bogus, completely disregards the reality of the situation and spits in the face of blood, sweat and tears lost over decades upon decades of fiercely intense rivalry and competition.

Ask yourself this Lucia, What would Herb Brooks say about the Sioux v Gophers rivalry and the importance of preserving it? What would Neil Broten say? Pete Hankinson? Eddie Belfour? Blake Wheeler?, How bout your predecessor Woogie?..

Yes Lucia, I could go on and on, as is usually the case wherein there is a historic rivalry being considered. You sure did make a call for a lot of folks didn't you? ...

I would say you are a sad and pathetic excuse for a hockey man but I think simply pointing out how much bad you have done for college hockey pretty much covers that one.

I hope the Sioux have an extra special circle around the calendar for the gophers series coming in January and I hope we get to take them down in the final final five.

...there you go as15 a vision into the TRUELY annoying..

GO SIOUX!!!!

Funny post. Unless you're being serious, than its just pathetically delusional and completely detached from reality.

• Upvote 1

Funny post. Unless you're being serious, than its just pathetically delusional and completely detached from reality.

Could you be specific about what's delusional? As I recall you said that Lucia really wants to play the rivalry, but his own words have been contrary to that.

as sad as it is to say, I don't think this rivalry will ever be the same even when it resumes in what four years. same with wisconsin, granted that rivalry has been put on the back burner and has been for years. Our number one rival will will soon become DU if it hasn't already.

Could you be specific about what's delusional? As I recall you said that Lucia really wants to play the rivalry, but his own words have been contrary to that.

Yababy8 said, "Minnesota had a significant negative impact on the Sioux keeping their name and for no reason other than politically correct stupidity and maybe some spite at the fact that the Sioux were stealing some of their talent (See parise) and consistently humiliating them in regard to performance?" I mean to somehow blame Minnesota for UND's nickname troubles is insane.

And later Yababy8 said "I would say you are a sad and pathetic excuse for a hockey man but I think simply pointing out how much bad you have done for college hockey pretty much covers that one." Claiming Lucia has somehow been bad for college hockey is ridiculous. Yababy8 was either drunk when typing or they are in serious need of meds. The entire post is garbge.

• Upvote 1

Yababy8 said, "Minnesota had a significant negative impact on the Sioux keeping their name and for no reason other than politically correct stupidity and maybe some spite at the fact that the Sioux were stealing some of their talent (See parise) and consistently humiliating them in regard to performance?" I mean to somehow blame Minnesota for UND's nickname troubles is insane.

And later Yababy8 said "I would say you are a sad and pathetic excuse for a hockey man but I think simply pointing out how much bad you have done for college hockey pretty much covers that one." Claiming Lucia has somehow been bad for college hockey is ridiculous. Yababy8 was either drunk when typing or they are in serious need of meds. The entire post is garbge.

"It isn't a healthy rivalry"

I'd agree this is garbage, but it is a quote from Lucia himself. And you'd like us to believe other commitments are ending the series between the two. Lucia doesn't want it, and so it ends. And you can then go to another message board.

"It isn't a healthy rivalry"

I'd agree this is garbage, but it is a quote from Lucia himself. And you'd like us to believe other commitments are ending the series between the two. Lucia doesn't want it, and so it ends. And you can then go to another message board.

I dont deny that Lucia is the main reason the rivalry is ending. It's more important to him as the flagship program in our state to play the Minnesota schools before anyone else. Disagreeing with him on that is a legit point of view.

But yababy8's assertion that Minnesota had a "significant" impact on UND losing their nickname is beyond stupid.

I dont deny that Lucia is the main reason the rivalry is ending. It's more important to him as the flagship program in our state to play the Minnesota schools before anyone else. Disagreeing with him on that is a legit point of view.

Nobody faults UMN for playing the other Minnesota schools first. We'll be playing games annually against many of them too. It's the multi-year agreements with Hockey East teams that irk people.

But yababy8's assertion that Minnesota had a "significant" impact on UND losing their nickname is beyond stupid.

Nice try, you stated that his entire post is garbage, but yet you seem to only hang onto the nickname issue, why is that?

Your goofs want to play Mn teams excuse is pretty lame and over used also, seen as how Mn is playing teams in their season that they never played before on a regular basis, hmmm?

Oh and lucifers son plays for one of them doesn't he?

Nobody faults UMN for playing the other Minnesota schools first. We'll be playing games annually against many of them too. It's the multi-year agreements with Hockey East teams that irk people.

But UND fans always seem to point out how the Gophers will not play or travel to the East coast teams, so how can it "irk" people? I for one love playing UND and am pretty bummed that we won't be playing them, until 2017 is what I heard or read a few weeks ago somewhere, I just think Lucia wants a cooling down period between the teams. I would imagine, and hope, there will be some tournament match-up between two in the next few years though, so that should keep the fires burning just enough hopefully. :)

But UND fans always seem to point out how the Gophers will not play or travel to the East coast teams, so how can it "irk" people? I for one love playing UND and am pretty bummed that we won't be playing them, until 2017 is what I heard or read a few weeks ago somewhere, I just think Lucia wants a cooling down period between the teams. I would imagine, and hope, there will be some tournament match-up between two in the next few years though, so that should keep the fires burning just enough hopefully. :)

That is exactly what "irks" UND fans. They don't travel out East much at all, then all of a sudden when they could be making sure they had room for an old rival every year, they start making longterm scheduling agreements. Doesn't exactly seem like the rivalry was a priority. To me, that should irk fans of both teams who love watching a true rivalry game.

That is exactly what "irks" UND fans. They don't travel out East much at all, then all of a sudden when they could be making sure they had room for an old rival every year, they start making longterm scheduling agreements. Doesn't exactly seem like the rivalry was a priority. To me, that should irk fans of both teams who love watching a true rivalry game.

It does make it seem that ending the rivalry with the Sioux was Lucia's #1 priority.

What should be annoying is Minnesota's deep disrespect for college hockey as demonstrated by the following:

First Minnesota had a significant negative impact on the Sioux keeping their name and for no reason other than politically correct stupidity and maybe some spite at the fact that the Sioux were stealing some of their talent (See parise) and consistently humiliating them in regard to performance? (See season turning dismantling of their first placed, top ranked teams in more than one year. See Ralph Engelstad Arena. See the comparison between the Sioux and the Gophers overall accomplishments the last several seasons)

Now add it what Lucia said and did regarding one of college sports greatest rivalries, He made it all very clear when he said the following to explain and justify why he blew-off scheduling games against the Sioux for the next three years!! "It isn't a healthy rivalry" and you get a little peak into the mind of a pathetic man who can't handle being soundly beaten so he conjures a self-serving paradigm that does nothing positive for anyone, is totally bogus, completely disregards the reality of the situation and spits in the face of blood, sweat and tears lost over decades upon decades of fiercely intense rivalry and competition.

Yes Lucia, I could go on and on, as is usually the case wherein there is a historic rivalry being considered. You sure did make a call for a lot of folks didn't you? ...

I would say you are a sad and pathetic excuse for a hockey man but I think simply pointing out how much bad you have done for college hockey pretty much covers that one.

I hope the Sioux have an extra special circle around the calendar for the gophers series coming in January and I hope we get to take them down in the final final five.

...there you go as15 a vision into the TRUELY annoying..

GO SIOUX!!!!

I've been attending UND/MN hockey games for decades. No one is more disappointed to see the rivalry go on hiatus. But this post takes on the eerie tenor of "stalker boyfriend" that really has no place in this discussion.

Hockey scheduling is like dating. Both parties have to agree. If one doesn't think the time is right it ain't going to happen. Standing here screaming like a petulant child in a Target aisle angry over denial of a piece of crap he thinks he can't live without just makes you look silly.

This is not the first time Minnesota has taken such a position. Throughout the '60's they refused to play Denver because of what they perceived as unfairness issues associated with DU's recruiting. After awhile they learn their lesson and come back.

Our response should be exactly what UND's institutional response has been thus far. We're disappointed but we understand. Call us when you want to get together. In other words, when you're ready for the buttkickings to resume, you know where to find us.

Let the MN fans get irate, not ours. It's their fans who get to watch home games against Providence and Mankato because they want to try to cool off the rivalry.

My attitude -- Meh. You've got the number.

• Upvote 3

I think Miami will turn into a nice rival once we change conferences. They have been damn good minus a natty just like und. Hell they basically handed BOSTON U a natty in DC. The gopher rivalry wont even be close to what it is at this moment come next season and on. I've stated it before unless we meet in a NCAA semi or final a couple times it will die down quite a bit. By the time we play them in 4/5 years those players may never even play Minnesota. Bring on Miami and Dener will only grow!

I think Miami will turn into a nice rival once we change conferences. They have been damn good minus a natty just like und. Hell they basically handed BOSTON U a natty in DC. The gopher rivalry wont even be close to what it is at this moment come next season and on. I've stated it before unless we meet in a NCAA semi or final a couple times it will die down quite a bit. By the time we play them in 4/5 years those players may never even play Minnesota. Bring on Miami and Dener will only grow!

I agree, Western Michigan, DU, UNO, UMD, Miami and SCSU are good rivals as well.

Just got my Final Fives - hope the weather is like last year - WOW. Also hope I don't get obnoxious gopher fans sitting in front of me, although last year it was sweet after having to listen to them in the first half of the Sioux-Gopher game.

Anyone need a Sioux Forever/Once a Sioux always a Sioux shirt for the weekend PM me.

You speak of which you do not know. If you educate yourself on the history of the Sioux name issue you will find that the turning for Sioux hockey fans was based primarily on two factors. 1. Coach Hakstol's public declaration that the name needed to go because if it did not it would hurt the school in the following ways; Future of other UND athletics (Big Sky is falling scare) and the fact that not changing the name could threaten the Hockey programs future ( Wisconsin and MINNESOTA would not schedule us), additionally this is the second big consideration that changed most SIOUX hockey fans minds.

Minnesota could have and should have done what schools like DU, CC and UNO did, stay the F*ck out of it. Minnesota could have even supported their arch rival in the name of honoring and protecting their historic and celebrated rivalry, not to mention it would have been a position truth and dignity.

If you want to believe Minnesota's lack of support of the Sioux and their subsequent THREATS of not playing us had little or no impact on the eventual position the citizens of North Dakota held then you can do one of two things; either go back and read the posts on these forums and read person after person post that they will not be voting to keep the name because schools will boycott us or you can just believe what you want,, I could care less..

But on another note, you had little to say regarding my deep criticism of Lucia's UNILATERAL dissemination of the historied rivalry and explaining such with proclamations of unhealthiness?? I ask you one simple question, "Does this show any disrespect for the thousands of student athletes and coaches who have a great deal of passion for this rivalry and what it means?" and further, "What kind of a man feels bestowed with the prerogative to unilaterally adjudicate the "health" of a rivalry and thereto sentence the extermination of such a storied tradition?" Puts him in a special category in my book that is for sure!

I guess Lucia had something to add to the following articles as they all failed to mention the "unhealthy" aspect...

"This rivalry has more hatred than UNC-Duke’s basketball rivalry and Oklahoma-Texas’ football rivalry combined."

http://www.thesportsbank.net/the-bank/gophers-sioux-an-underrated-rivalry/

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Nicknames_and_all_GophersNoDak_rivalry_among_college_hockeys_best110211

http://www.uscho.com/2011/01/13/moments-memories-come-back-when-its-minnesota-north-dakota-week/

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/133203098.html

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/03/17/12/Sioux-punch-Gophers-in-more-ways-than-on/landing_gophers.html?blockID=689976

"Rivalries in sports are something that everyone needs. You need those rivalry games, it wraps the organization and community together."

http://charliecloud.wordpress.com/2012/03/26/the-great-rivalry-of-the-minnesota-gophers-and-und/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...