SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 WCHA Final Five

Frozen4sioux

I called them last week and I guess Ticketmaster isn't printing them, they are only being used a 2nd party. The people at the Xcel are the ones printing and shipping tickets, which won't be released until mid-February. Since there has been no NHL why in the heck is it taking this long to print and ship?

I called them last week and I guess Ticketmaster isn't printing them, they are only being used a 2nd party. The people at the Xcel are the ones printing and shipping tickets, which won't be released until mid-February. Since there has been no NHL why in the heck is it taking this long to print and ship?

I've been going to the Final Five for many years and I seem to recall that the tickets do not show up until just a few weeks before the tournament. No need to get too worked up about it. I think that just leaves less time for the shysters to print up fake tickets and scam people. That stuff does happen.

You never get the tickets till 3 weeks prior to the event. What do you need them now for?

• 1 month later...

I highly doubt that the wcha will be commemorating anything as far as the "last" one...in fact I am willing to bet bungling bruce will be vehemently promoting next years wcha final five event or whatever It will be.

I doubt they will celebrate the fact that the main players are taking their sticks to a new pond.

I highly doubt that the wcha will be commemorating anything as far as the "last" one...in fact I am willing to bet bungling bruce will be vehemently promoting next years wcha final five event or whatever It will be.

I doubt they will celebrate the fact that the main players are taking their sticks to a new pond.

While the attendance plummets. The amount of fans that will come could fit into the Bloomington Ice Gardens or the Purpur Arena. Without Minnesota and North Dakota in the tourney to buy all the tickets they won't need a big arena to hold it in. After all of you were in Omaha how would that be for a site to hold the NCHC playoffs in? Would it work for a tourney? Or stick with a neutral site in Minneapolis?

While the attendance plummets. The amount of fans that will come could fit into the Bloomington Ice Gardens or the Purpur Arena. Without Minnesota and North Dakota in the tourney to buy all the tickets they won't need a big arena to hold it in. After all of you were in Omaha how would that be for a site to hold the NCHC playoffs in? Would it work for a tourney? Or stick with a neutral site in Minneapolis?

IMO Omaha would certainly work. If UNO can get an on-campus arena built it would almost be a no-brainer if the Target Center doesn't work out.

I think the WCHA will be better off attendance-wise in Grand Rapids as opposed to the X.

I think the WCHA will be better off attendance-wise in Grand Rapids as opposed to the X.

I think you are right. Really what do you have at the X? Bemidji? Mankato? 2 Minnesota teams and 4 Michigan teams does not make good numbers for the X. Grand Rapids is a good idea. A 10K seat arena still will be an empty barn. Better than 16,000 empty seats at the X.

I think you are right. Really what do you have at the X? Bemidji? Mankato? 2 Minnesota teams and 4 Michigan teams does not make good numbers for the X. Grand Rapids is a good idea. A 10K seat arena still will be an empty barn. Better than 16,000 empty seats at the X.

Honestly, and this is just my own personal opinion and not based on anything other than that...I think the X inked the deal to keep the WCHA every-other-year as a big THANK YOU to Bruce McLeod. The tournament has been a gold mine for the X and for the city of St Paul.

The reality is that there is no good option for the WCHA. The only "right sized" arenas are on campus arenas and that's not going to happen any time soon. The problem with holding it in Grand Rapids every year is that it is prohibitive for more than 50% of the teams in the conference to attend. Just looking at the situation, it seems as though they have to be depending on the MN/MI fans attending the event when the Big Ten Tourney isn't at their location. The only thing the WCHA can do is attempt to make as good of a situation out of a bad situation. Realistically, what's the difference in having an empty 10,000 seat arena versus having an empty 16,000 seat arena. Sure it might open them up to some criticism from some hard core fans, but, honestly, who cares?

Honestly, and this is just my own personal opinion and not based on anything other than that...I think the X inked the deal to keep the WCHA every-other-year as a big THANK YOU to Bruce McLeod. The tournament has been a gold mine for the X and for the city of St Paul.

The WCHA Final Five will be a shell of its former self starting in 2014. The greatest tournament in the country is being cannibalized because Penn State decided to start a hockey program. The X won't make nearly as much money from this tournament as they have been.

• Upvote 3

The reality is that there is no good option for the WCHA. The only "right sized" arenas are on campus arenas and that's not going to happen any time soon. The problem with holding it in Grand Rapids every year is that it is prohibitive for more than 50% of the teams in the conference to attend. Just looking at the situation, it seems as though they have to be depending on the MN/MI fans attending the event when the Big Ten Tourney isn't at their location. The only thing the WCHA can do is attempt to make as good of a situation out of a bad situation. Realistically, what's the difference in having an empty 10,000 seat arena versus having an empty 16,000 seat arena. Sure it might open them up to some criticism from some hard core fans, but, honestly, who cares?

What about the Resch Center in Green Bay for a future WCHA Final? Probably the most central location for WCHA teams. Capacity is 8709 which is about the attendance they are going to get starting next year. I think that having it in the X maybe just once, Mcleod will see that they need to downsize. Grand Rapids is a good option, but Having it in Milwaukee will make it better for attendance for the Minnesota schools and the UP Michigan schools especially.

50% includes the 2 Alaska teams whose fans would not come even if they were in it. Good drive for LSU, Ferris, Tech, NMU, and close enough for BG. Heck BG is closer to Grand Rapids than LSU, TECH, or NUM even. By a hundred to 2 hundred miles. So all schools, excluding the Alaska and Minnesota schools, are within 400 miles roughly of Grand Rapids. I think some leaders in GR need to get their act together quick. Grand Rapids in less prohibitive than St. Paul is. This is assuming that the Beavers or Mankato get in.

What about the Resch Center in Green Bay for a future WCHA Final? Probably the most central location for WCHA teams. Capacity is 8709 which is about the attendance they are going to get starting next year. I think that having it in the X maybe just once, Mcleod will see that they need to downsize. Grand Rapids is a good option, but Having it in Milwaukee will make it better for attendance for the Minnesota schools and the UP Michigan schools especially.

I think you found the best solution. Considering where 3 of the 4 Michigan schools are located. Alaska would fly in anyhow. So most likely the Beavers and Mankato would also. I really think a smaller arena would be better.

The WCHA Final Five will be a shell of its former self starting in 2014. The greatest tournament in the country is being cannibalized because Penn State decided to start a hockey program. The X won't make nearly as much money from this tournament as they have been.

I understand revenue for the X will be way down, but, like I said, this was a 'years-of-service' award to the WCHA. I give it 2-3 appearances and then the X will tell the WCHA to move elsewhere.