SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ NOTRE DAME - Saturday

AZSIOUX

Name me another top flight team that doesn't start playing up to potential until late January

They're not that far off of playing up to their potential. Some guys might've been off tonight(plus Parks and Knight aren't healthy), but overall what you see is what you're going to get.

They just aren't going to ever be an offensive juggernaut, this year. They will have to work hard and play good team defense and get timely scoring to win. And have lights out goaltending. Every game will be a battle. Just like every year, it seems. :sad:

I hope I'm just being a bummer and they will prove me wrong.

They're not that far off of playing up to their potential. Some guys might've been off tonight, but overall what you see is what you get.

They just aren't going to ever be an offensive juggernaut, this year. They will have to work hard and play good team defense and get timely scoring to win. And have lights out goaltending.

how about the last 8 years?

Just saying, it could be worse. We could be playing to our potential right now and end up having a slow start and a meh finish.

I'd take the last 8 years over that.

Just saying that a feature of Hat's teams is that they coast until January - I can understand when some teams need to work out chemistry etc and jell later, but almost every Hak coached team under performs until the second half - Although it is nice to see the second half surge, It would be nice to get it done from start to finish. I can't believe that we have to start over every year. We have enough returners to understand his system this year.

They're not that far off of playing up to their potential. Some guys might've been off tonight(plus Parks and Knight aren't healthy), but overall what you see is what you're going to get.

They just aren't going to ever be an offensive juggernaut, this year. They will have to work hard and play good team defense and get timely scoring to win. And have lights out goaltending. Every game will be a battle. Just like every year, it seems. :sad:

I hope I'm just being a bummer and they will prove me wrong.

I think for the mostpart every night is a battle for everyone. Minnesota came down to the wire with Vermont tonight and Vermont was without two of their top players. You don't see many easy games across the country period.

Just saying that a feature of Hat's teams is that they coast until January - I can understand when some teams need to work out chemistry etc and jell later, but almost every Hak coached team under performs until the second half - Although it is nice to see the second half surge, It would be nice to get it done from start to finish. I can't believe that we have to start over every year. We have enough returners to understand his system this year.

Like the other teams that win national titles!!.........Right?

This is just off the top of my head, please feel free to add or subtract here.

Guys that are pulling their weight:

~Kristo, Saunders, Simpson, McMillan, MacWilliam, Rodwell, Knight (although can't buy a goal), Forbort, Mattson.....

Guys that need to pick up their play:

~Rowney, Gleason, O'Donnell, Caggiula, Chyzyk, Schmaltz, Gothberg

I'd say probably the biggest disappointment thus far to me personally has been Rowney. He does have 6 points in eleven games he has played, but after the way he finished last year I thought he'd ripping up the net all year. Lots of games left.

I shutter to think of how many shots and goals we allow to DU in two weeks. I'm thinking 60 and 8 on friday night and 55 and 7(10 if gothberg starts) sat night. that series will be brutal.

I agree with you. In fact, I'm planning on jumping ship on this season completely.

Maybe next season ('13-14) we'll be better. No wait, Kristo will be gone and take all the offense with him.

But the following season ('14-15), we'll have a stacked lineup. Crap, forgot that Grimaldi will probably leave early.

Well, then I guess we have the '15-16 season to look forward to.

Go UND in 2015-2016!!

• Upvote 2

~Kristo, Saunders, Simpson, McMillan, MacWilliam, Rodwell, Knight (although can't buy a goal), Forbort, Mattson.....

I'd say probably the biggest disappointment thus far to me personally has been Rowney. He does have 6 points in eleven games he has played, but after the way he finished last year I thought he'd ripping up the net all year. Lots of games left.

I thought Rowney has looked kind of a step slow this year so far... I don't know if that's the best way to describe his play, but something is just off there.

What are your thoughts on the goalies? Does this solidify Saunders as the starter or should Hak keep up the the rotation?

I am kind of thinking Saunders should now be named starter. Nothing against Gothberg he is a good goalie but just needs a little more work.

What are your thoughts on the goalies? Does this solidify Saunders as the starter or should Hak keep up the the rotation?

I am kind of thinking Saunders should now be named starter. Nothing against Gothberg he is a good goalie but just needs a little more work.

The thing is, Gothberg needs playing time so he can get experience, learn from his mistakes and get better. I definitely think rotating every weekend is not the best solution right now, but he's got to get in there every couple weekends if he's going to develop and get better.

Schmaltz has not done anything for me yet. A few spurts of good play but other than that he looks a bit overwhelmed. I realize defense is tougher to adapt to for rookies than the offense so I will give him some time but he is not living up to the press clippings as of yet. What really stands out is his lack of physicality. Maybe that has never been his style but man hit somebody and he has had his chances. Edited by sioux rube

You need to add Grimaldi to the "pulling their weight" group. Might want to consider taking MacWilliam out of that group - penalties are really hurting his play. The stick to the head today was really dumb. Not sure what's going on with Rowney - I expected he would be near the team lead for points after his finish last year - an injury that we don't know about?

You need to add Grimaldi to the "pulling their weight" group. Might want to consider taking MacWilliam out of that group - penalties are really hurting his play. The stick to the head today was really dumb. Not sure what's going on with Rowney - I expected he would be near the team lead for points after his finish last year - an injury that we don't know about?

If you think Grimaldi needs to be added to the "pull your weight group" then you need to re-evaluate your hockey eval skills. He is the real deal, leaves 100% on the ice at all times. Big-time difference maker. Outside of #7, he's this teams biggest threat to score.

• Upvote 3

If you think Grimaldi needs to be added to the "pull your weight group" then you need to re-evaluate your hockey eval skills. He is the real deal, leaves 100% on the ice at all times. Big-time difference maker. Outside of #7, he's this teams biggest threat to score.

Uh, that's what I meant - he needs to be included in the "pulling their weight" group. Wilbur didn't include him. I certainly agree that he is the real deal.

I'll take a shot at this based on years played at the college level, prodution coming into the season, their actual talent/skill set and hype.

For veterans that I think carry the water very night...Kristo, Simpson, Easy Mac and Forbort, Pattyn.

Those veterans who have played ok, but I know could play better...Mac, Mattson and Knight (he just doesn't seem himself especially when he played half of last season on one foot).

Veterans that need a really jump start...ODonnell, Rodwell, Gleason, Rowney...the 1st 2 have big time talent, but... The last 2 here are head scratchers for me.

Parks is a HUGE substraction from the lineup...our most physical forward IMO and a beast along the walls. He owns the puck down low.

1st year players show what they have got in streaks and all need to get more consistent but I like what I see in St. Clair, Cagguila, and Schmaltz.

Rocco is the wildcard...supreme talent, but 2 of 5 goals are in garbage time...ENG and last night's goal. Has hit a ton of pipes. Most electric player at UND since Spirko IMO. I think he is just misfit...Drake and Colton are good but not on his level. On an opposite wing with Danny and it's lights out. IF he really gets it going I think that is when this team turns the corner...unless defensively we play this way all year which I hope is not the case.

UND really has had a tought schedule to date, but has thrown away a couple of wins as well.

The next 3 weeks are going to be just as tough...at CC, DU, at MTU. 3-3 I would take in a heartbeat based on what I have seen from this team to date. That would put UND at 9-7-2 going into the Christmas break with what should be 2 wins vs. Holy Cross coming right after the break. 11-7-2 thru the 1st week in January and then 2nd half surge? Not the record I would have expected going into the CC series at home but it is on par for what we have seen during Hak's tenure.

It was a frustrating game but I don't think it was that bad. They actually played better tonight than they did last night.

Still a lot of pieces to pull together though...

Yes they did play better than last night as far as their offensive game goes. They must have had triple the scoring chances. Still....terrible timing of penalties (macw) and terrible own zone d by all 5 players. Also gothberg did let in 2 bad softies but all in all didn't play terrible. It's early.

I'll take a shot at this based on years played at the college level, prodution coming into the season, their actual talent/skill set and hype.

For veterans that I think carry the water very night...Kristo, Simpson, Easy Mac and Forbort, Pattyn.

Those veterans who have played ok, but I know could play better...Mac, Mattson and Knight (he just doesn't seem himself especially when he played half of last season on one foot).

Veterans that need a really jump start...ODonnell, Rodwell, Gleason, Rowney...the 1st 2 have big time talent, but... The last 2 here are head scratchers for me.

Parks is a HUGE substraction from the lineup...our most physical forward IMO and a beast along the walls. He owns the puck down low.

1st year players show what they have got in streaks and all need to get more consistent but I like what I see in St. Clair, Cagguila, and Schmaltz.

Rocco is the wildcard...supreme talent, but 2 of 5 goals are in garbage time...ENG and last night's goal. Has hit a ton of pipes. Most electric player at UND since Spirko IMO. I think he is just misfit...Drake and Colton are good but not on his level. On an opposite wing with Danny and it's lights out. IF he really gets it going I think that is when this team turns the corner...unless defensively we play this way all year which I hope is not the case.

Somewhat agree besides the rodwell and odonnell talent comment. I was also thinking Rocco was going to be much better (yes I know it's early). Rowney has been almost non existent and while knight has been good, I thought this would be an absolute monster year for him as he averaged a point per game as a soph and he's still playing with kristo. I wouldn't talk down odonnell just yet, some of you thought he was the next coming of stafford but I figured he would simply be a solid role player. Rowney must figure it out.

t

this is beyond tonights game this is in regards to sat in alaska, sat at home against alaska, sat at home against bu, sat at scsu and fri at home against duluth. there is absolutely no reason this team should not have won TWO of those game-none. instead all you see and hear is it is november, this team is still learning, let them develop. DU lost more this offseason than we did and they aren't struggling too much. BC lost a hell of a lot more than we did and I don't see them "learning" in november. last I checked york and BC have won more titles in the last 7 months than we have in a 12 years. these "slow" starts are pathetic. you would think you would start to see some improvement if they are "learning"-where is it?

Watch out, you'll have the duckie and bunny brigade on your butt for suggesting that national titles are important. They'll remind you that they are almost impossible to win anymore, despite evidence to the contrary. They'll even suggest that we are at a major recruiting disadvantage because we aren't on the East Coast. :silly: All sarcasm aside, I agree with you.

• Upvote 1