SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2012/13 (non UND Hockey)

AZSIOUX

The Devils are on the hook to the tune of a $250,000 salary cap hit for each of the next twelve seasons of Kovalchuk's contract. Ouch.

You're right, that's chump change to those teams but your forgetting what they're missing out on. A top 5-7 player in the game. Yes, 5-7.

Even though he retired they get hit for $250,000? Ouch. I suppose $250,000 is a long ways away from the $10M or so he was due this year. Just sucks for the Devils to have to eat that when he decides to leave.

I've heard from a hardcore devils fan that they lost more than just Ilya and the money. Was told they lost so many draft picks as well. I don't know the details and haven't read them....just figured this guy knew he was talking about.

I've heard from a hardcore devils fan that they lost more than just Ilya and the money. Was told they lost so many draft picks as well. I don't know the details and haven't read them....just figured this guy knew he was talking about.

The NHL fined them one first round draft pick for trying to circumvent the CBA.

The NHL fined them one first round draft pick for trying to circumvent the CBA.

Their decision to draft Stefan Matteau at #29 last year is looking even more worse for the Devils. They should've forfeited their pick that year but stupidly decided to use the pick when now it is very likely the Devil's are going to be forfeiting a higher position 1st round pick. Doh!

Its a business, and you can quit your contract anytime. Its called at-will employment. Your employer can end it and you can end it. Contracts are not indentured servitude. You can walk anytime and forego your comp. Would you rather have a $10 mil player who wasn't into it? I think it is more honest of Ilya to walk.

I think he would :). JR is the one who inked the deal. I would say fedorov has the right to be slightly pissed.

I'd be more pissed about losing Anna Kournikova to Enrique Iglesias than I would be over JR leaving Russia but that's just me...

• Upvote 1

How can we criticize players (see aso: Howard, Dwight) for taking LESS money to go play somewhere where they feel they would be happier?

If Jeremy Roenick agreed to play for ten years in Siberia and three years into that deal decided to retire and return to the United States of America, where he was born and raised and where his family still lived, would Sergei Fedorov call him 'selfish'?

Its a solid point you make I guess I just see it from the point of view of the organization and can see how both the club and fanbase could feel betrayed. ..

But really maybe its best they all move on!

"Cue Barney from the simpsons drunken belching " go back to russia"

You're right, that's chump change to those teams but your forgetting what they're missing out on. A top 5-7 player in the game. Yes, 5-7.

...when he cares to play. I think that's where JR's animosity stems from. He knows Kovalchuk has all the talent in the world but just fails to apply it, and I believe he called him out for it on prior occasions. Bailing on the Devils is just further evidence that he didn't really care much for playing in the NHL, and I think JR is using it to pat himself on the back for being "right" the whole time.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, MafiaMan, always the provocateur.

You should at least wait until UND players do something wrong before you get mad at the hypothetical suspension that they got.

Nice to see you again, passit. Did you just get back from egging Phil Housley's house?

• Upvote 1