SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2012/13 (non UND Hockey)

AZSIOUX

• 2 weeks later...

Man, back in those early years in Chicago, I LOVED JR. The man was a 50 goal player who hit everything that moved. He played TJ Oshie's college game in the NHL...which shows the incredible talent, athleticism, and strength he had

Love JR! Hes one of the few that talks USA Hockey amd truly cares. Def see some jr in osh. Relentless!! Hawks and Yotes fan here and damn he could score.

Did Jeremy Roenick blast his 'selfish' decision too?

To be fair I believe the JR had a problem with the fact that a star player and important cog in an organization that had agreed to play for a number of years into the future, opted to bail out and go sign somewhere else for money..

I guess I see a bit of a difference it that aspect compared to R. Pultony.

To be fair I believe the JR had a problem with the fact that a star player and important cog in an organization that had agreed to play for a number of years into the future, opted to bail out and go sign somewhere else for money..

How can we criticize players (see aso: Howard, Dwight) for taking LESS money to go play somewhere where they feel they would be happier?

If Jeremy Roenick agreed to play for ten years in Siberia and three years into that deal decided to retire and return to the United States of America, where he was born and raised and where his family still lived, would Sergei Fedorov call him 'selfish'?

How can we criticize players (see aso: Howard, Dwight) for taking LESS money to go play somewhere where they feel they would be happier?

If Jeremy Roenick agreed to play for ten years in Siberia and three years into that deal decided to retire and return to the United States of America, where he was born and raised and where his family still lived, would Sergei Fedorov call him 'selfish'?

The fact that he made a committment and then reneged on that committment is what has some people ticked off. If you aren't a man of your word, why should anybody trust you?

The devils got themselves into this mess. Their fans are upset because didn't the devils go above the salary cap to sign him and are currently being punished for it? Now he's gone and they are out more. Sorry but the devils organization is to blame for the situation they are in.

The fact that he made a committment and then reneged on that committment is what has some people ticked off. If you aren't a man of your word, why should anybody trust you?

I don't see Jeremy blasting the New York Islanders for buying out Rick DiPietro's contract, do you? Nobody's faulting the Islanders for dumping a guy who's an injury waiting to happen. He didn't hold a gun to management's head and ask for that ridiculous deal, did he?

"This decision was something I have thought about for a long time going back to the lockout and spending the year in Russia," Kovalchuk said in a statement released by the team. "Though I decided to return this past season, Lou was aware of my desire to go back home and have my family there with me. The most difficult thing for me is to leave the New Jersey Devils, a great organization that I have a lot of respect for, and our fans that have been great to me."

Sounds reasonable to me...

The devils got themselves into this mess. Their fans are upset because didn't the devils go above the salary cap to sign him and are currently being punished for it? Now he's gone and they are out more. Sorry but the devils organization is to blame for the situation they are in.

Right! I'm sure it wasn't Ilya's idea to try to swing a deal that circumvented the league salary cap.

Right! I'm sure it wasn't Ilya's idea to try to swing a deal that circumvented the league salary cap.

Devils fans have a right to be ticked off....they should be ticked off with their own organization though. Ilya had every right to leave. They can't prevent him from going home.

It's a business. They could cut him at any time. He can leave at any time.

Yes and no. I suppose they could cut him at any time, but NHL contracts don't work like NFL contracts. The Devils would still be on the hook for his salary and they'd have nothing to show for it. With the new CBA coming out of the last lockout each team is allowed 2 compliance buyouts in the next 2 seasons. Other than that, they'd still have to pay him so they can't really just 'cut' him.

As we're seeing here, he can just leave when he wants. I'm not completely sure about the rules around this, but if he'd decide to come back to the NHL would he still be property of the Devils until his current contract runs out?

Yes and no. I suppose they could cut him at any time, but NHL contracts don't work like NFL contracts. The Devils would still be on the hook for his salary and they'd have nothing to show for it. With the new CBA coming out of the last lockout each team is allowed 2 compliance buyouts in the next 2 seasons. Other than that, they'd still have to pay him so they can't really just 'cut' him.

As we're seeing here, he can just leave when he wants. I'm not completely sure about the rules around this, but if he'd decide to come back to the NHL would he still be property of the Devils until his current contract runs out?

The Devils are on the hook to the tune of a $250,000 salary cap hit for each of the next twelve seasons of Kovalchuk's contract. Ouch.

The Devils are on the hook to the tune of a $250,000 salary cap hit for each of the next twelve seasons of Kovalchuk's contract. Ouch.

Even though he retired they get hit for $250,000? Ouch. I suppose $250,000 is a long ways away from the $10M or so he was due this year. Just sucks for the Devils to have to eat that when he decides to leave.

I guess this was more of my thinking. Kovy bailed on like 12 years of newly signed contracted while Pots will be making more than what he would be offered this coming year.

I think he would :). JR is the one who inked the deal. I would say fedorov has the right to be slightly pissed.