SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota vs South Dakota Mines

Cratter

The only reason a redshirt would be pulled is if Hendrickson gets hurt.

As for Hanson, non weight bearing leg break means fibula which can actually be played on if absolutely needed. I had this injury in highschool and it took 3 weeks of not running/cutting for it to heal. It sucks but it's better than alot of other possibilities.

Yeah, Hanson threw a nice pass for a big gain to Hardin right after his injury, so it isn't too serious. I'd say Mussman's goal would be to get him back from the Big Sky opener @ Sac State. However, this really makes the next two games difficult, and the Portland State game is really important because of the crappy DII team we just played. We need all the DI wins we can get to make playoffs and without Hanson, Portland St. will be tough to beat if we can't throw the ball. I'm not saying Hendrickson can't throw for over 200 yds against PSU, but I'll go out on a limb and say if he doesnt UND loses. Hope the 5th year senior from Perham, MN has it in him, but I won't believe it until I see it 9/8. Also, the QB depth situtation just makes this injury that much worse.

Hard to take much away from this game. It was nice that the team imposed their will from start to finish and dominated in every facet of the game. This has not always been the case in recent seasons against lower division teams (Southern Oregon, Sioux Falls).

Tough deal with Hanson. He did look quite good while he was out there. Hopefully it heals quick. He was walking around on it just fine before they carted him off. Would this be the same kind of broken leg that ended Hardin's season late last year? Remember he broke it in the middle of the game but continued to play, and found out after the game that it was broken.

Regarding Hendrickson, he looked good out there tonight, and made some nice throws. Let's just remember that the last time he saw significant action, he was a sophomore making his first career start in Missoula in front of 25,000 raucous Griz fans. He's now a 5th year senior with alot more experience and time in the program.

I noticed Tyhre Ivery and Myles Jablonski were not in pads.

Ryan Bartels is listed on the participation report from tonight's game. Doesn't that mean his red-shirt is gone?

Anybody that thinks the season is lost because of what happened to Hanson can just get off the bandwagon right now. This team is deeper and more athletic than they have ever been and they have great depth at RB and WR. The defense is looking to be a strength of the team once again. And if they have to pull a redshirt off of a QB, so what? It won't ruin the program. If this team can get better week by week, we'll have a solid first year in the Big Sky Conference, and that isn't all that bad considering how we looked a couple of years ago. Keep the faith!

As far as playoffs, the injury puts UND in jeopardy(not that we would have known otherwise, game against Mines shows nothing), but a big part of the UND playoff hope was(from what i gathered) based on him. Two weeks without him, could really hurt if UND loses the PSU game. Y'all got the next few weeks to see if you got a shot at the playoffs. UND needs 7 wins to gain consideration. UND has 10 games to garner that consideration. Portland State game just got more complicated. Things should very interesting to watch from a Bison fan perspective.

I thought that's what I said.

So whose redshirt does UND pull? Best case scenario is that Hanson only misses 2-3 games. We need a back up to Hendrickson, so what does the coaching staff do?

Yeah you did. I did a poor job of backing up what you said. My bad.

Frustrating to see Hanson get injured in this meaningless game.

Hard to take much away from this game. It was nice that the team imposed their will from start to finish and dominated in every facet of the game. This has not always been the case in recent seasons against lower division teams (Southern Oregon, Sioux Falls).

Tough deal with Hanson. He did look quite good while he was out there. Hopefully it heals quick. He was walking around on it just fine before they carted him off. Would this be the same kind of broken leg that ended Hardin's season late last year? Remember he broke it in the middle of the game but continued to play, and found out after the game that it was broken.

Regarding Hendrickson, he looked good out there tonight, and made some nice throws. Let's just remember that the last time he saw significant action, he was a sophomore making his first career start in Missoula in front of 25,000 raucous Griz fans. He's now a 5th year senior with alot more experience and time in the program.

I noticed Tyhre Ivery and Myles Jablonski were not in pads.

Ryan Bartels is listed on the participation report from tonight's game. Doesn't that mean his red-shirt is gone?

He's listed as assisting on a tackle, so I'd assume that it is a mistake. I sure as heck don't remember seeing him in the game.

Tailgating free food report I can't believe I ate:

Shredded pork and a beer in Champions Club tent

Couple slices of T Rex from Rhombus Guys

Hot Dog from Grand Forks CVB

Barbeque pork from Ground Round

Jalapeno poppers from the Oslo/Alvarado tailgaters

A beer

Chips and bean dip

Slider

Another beer

Sioux shots with some tailgaters

There were questions about free food - info I got was there will always been free food in Tailgate village. They want to attract people early for the game who don't have tailgating spots. Next week is Potato Bowl - lots of baked potatoes, pork burgers etc free at the RRV Potato Growers Tent. Come early, eat often.

3 sections is 2000, right? 18 sections, 12000 seats, ~700 per section

Plus the students who were sitting in empy season ticket seats in 214 and in the endzones. We showed up to our season tickets and there were students in our seats and the seats of others around us. The ones who stayed said the student section tickets were all gone so they gave them tickets in the endzone areas and they wanted to move down. More than 3 sections worth.

Can Hendrickson throw the long ball with accuracy? Because now PSU will put more guys in the box to stop our running game possibly leaving our receivers one on one. Maybe some play action passes will burn the Vikings defense. All I know is I am still excited to be going to the game next Saturday. I have my tickets, and if UND just plays smart (no turnovers, no penalties) and just play UND football. We should do fine, big crowd, loud Alerus, and have the defense step up even more and ifeveryone play this game like its a playoff( if we lose we could be done) UND should win.

• Upvote 2

As far as playoffs, the injury puts UND in jeopardy(not that we would have known otherwise, game against Mines shows nothing), but a big part of the UND playoff hope was(from what i gathered) based on him. Two weeks without him, could really hurt if UND loses the PSU game. Y'all got the next few weeks to see if you got a shot at the playoffs. UND needs 7 wins to gain consideration. UND has 10 games to garner that consideration. Portland State game just got more complicated. Things should very interesting to watch from a Bison fan perspective.

Well thought out post with breaking information we were not aware of.

• Upvote 1

Well. Who is backing up Hendrickson for next 2 or 3 games?

Good question that I am sure someone will answer. Who is the dumber QB, Joey Bradley for leaving or Braden Hanson for trying to throw a block against a team you are going to pummel when you are short on QB's anyway? Muss certainly must have told Hanson not to do anything stupid out there, man what a situation to start the season with.

Grand Forks Herald reported a scout from the Dallas Cowboys was in attendance last night looking at Brenneman and Braden Hanson; that gives you an idea of just how good this guy might really be. Of course, Hendrickson will have to step up and hopefully he can make enough big plays to pull out a win. As far as SDSU, I just hope we can make it competitive, but UND NEEDS this Portland St. win as it would go along way towards playoff consideration. It's tough to stop thinking about the Hanson injury, not only because he'll miss a couple key games and the depth is horrible, but also because he just looked so darn impressive before he got hurt.

Good question that I am sure someone will answer. Who is the dumber QB, Joey Bradley for leaving or Braden Hanson for trying to throw a block against a team you are going to pummel when you are short on QB's anyway? Muss certainly must have told Hanson not to do anything stupid out there, man what a situation to start the season with.

I would take it easy on Braden. The guy has been waiting a while for this opportunity and I am sure he was pretty amped up.

Hopefully Hendrickson can step it up and get us a win next week. I think if we can get a win next week, that would be huge. With the way our defense played and how good our running game was, we should have a great chance to win. The San Diego State game was going to tough to get a win even with Hanson. The next week after SDSU is Sac State on the road. It would be nice to get Hanson back for that game, but Sac St. is picked to finish in the bottom half of the Big Sky, so we may have enough talent to get a win there with Hendrickson and just pounding the ground game on them. If we had Hanson back for the Cal Poly game, that would be ideal. a whole month off that leg might be enought to heal up so he is ready to go for the rest of the year.

I keep hearing how deep we are at receiver, so, run (QB converted to TE) Seth Nichols under center as Hendrickson's backup for a couple weeks. They'll only have to run the "no Hanson" playbook: Jake goes left, Jake goes right, Mitch up the middle. Up 21? Oh Jer ... Up 35? Oh PJ ...

Yes, Nichols is listed as a TE but we never throw to TEs anyway so just tell Taylor Grant that it's time to put the blocking pads on.

• Upvote 1

Blair Townsend threw for 30 td's his senior year at Coon Rapids, and ran for nine more. While it would be asking a lot to potentially step in at quarterback after not having played the position for four years, I think he's the best option to back up Hendrickson.

Blair Townsend threw for 30 td's his senior year at Coon Rapids, and ran for nine more. While it would be asking a lot to potentially step in at quarterback after not having played the position for four years, I think he's the best option to back up Hendrickson.

Seth Nichols played qb for three years at UND. Blair has played qb for 0 years at UND. He will see more of the ball at WR than Nichols will at te. It's a no brainer