SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota vs South Dakota Mines

Cratter

Seth Nichols played qb for three years at UND. Blair has played qb for 0 years at UND. He will see more of the ball at WR than Nichols will at te. It's a no brainer

Has anyone seen much of Nichols at QB from practices / scrimmages past? What seems to be his strong point?

From http://siouxfb.areavoices.com/

Fritz Jarrett says:

August 31, 2012 at 10:54 am

In my opinion, Townsend because of his athleticism back there. But Nichols is also an option to get you out of the game.

It has become very apparent and abundantly clear that the staff will do anything possible to preserve the redshirts of Ryan Bartels and Joe Mollberg. I think Jake Hanson might have his shirt pulled before those 2. Maybe I am wrong.

Gee, not that long ago another guy brought up using Jake Hanson (in an emergency) to preserve Bartels and Mollberg. Who was that guy, and why does my shoulder suddenly hurt? ;):D

I never said anything about the season being over. The reality is, the coaching staff is in a tough spot now. I would hate to see a redshirt pulled on either Mollberg or Bartles just so they can be a back up for 2-3 weeks. We have no one else to back up Hendrickson other than true frosh. My initial thought is they pull the redshirt for either Bartles or Jake Hanson and hope that Hendrickson stays healthy.

I wasn't targeting you in particular. I was targeting the casual fan that might decide that the season is over before it starts because one guy goes down for a few weeks. UND football has way too many of those fans. We are Division I FCS now, no more "transition", no more "non-counter status", no more membership in a "conference" that is nothing more than a glorified scheduling arrangment. One injury is not going to ruin all that, but the media today (Tom Miller, I am talking to you) is already preaching a doom and gloom storyline. Is it a big loss for the offense? Yes. Does it put the coaches in a tough spot? Yes. Will we have to pull a redshirt? Yes (there is no way Muss is going to put in a "QB" converted from another position who last played QB in high school; this season is much too important to the program). But this is still the most exciting team we have had since 2001. After what we have put up with during the past 5 years, I am going to enjoy this 100%.

I wasn't targeting you in particular. I was targeting the casual fan that might decide that the season is over before it starts because one guy goes down for a few weeks. UND football has way too many of those fans. We are Division I FCS now, no more "transition", no more "non-counter status", no more membership in a "conference" that is nothing more than a glorified scheduling arrangment. One injury is not going to ruin all that, but the media today (Tom Miller, I am talking to you) is already preaching a doom and gloom storyline. Is it a big loss for the offense? Yes. Does it put the coaches in a tough spot? Yes. Will we have to pull a redshirt? Yes (there is no way Muss is going to put in a "QB" converted from another position who last played QB in high school; this season is much too important to the program). But this is still the most exciting team we have had since 2001. After what we have put up with during the past 5 years, I am going to enjoy this 100%.

If Hanson is done for the season, then I think the decision to pull a red shirt becomes much tougher. But so long as it's reasonably likely that he'll be back within a month (and Hendrickson remains healthy), they aren't going to waste a year of eligibility just so Mollberg or Bartels can play a game or two or three.

Guaranteed whoever they put back there will be a better passer than Goska/Bradley were which equals a better offense than last year. I think Hendrickson will do fine and turn some heads in the next couple weeks.

I hope you are right.

If he turns out to be better than Bradley and Goska, I will be ecstatic and we will be fine......

IF....

I hope you are right.

If he turns out to be better than Bradley and Goska, I will be ecstatic and we will be fine......

IF....

Well he already is. What he did last night was better than what Bradley did against any team last year. And he threw a spiral which is better than Goska could manage. Now if he could be a leader like Goska that would be special.

I went to one of the scrimmages a few weeks ago and Hendrickson looked sharp. His passes were dead on that day. To bad for Hanson. I wouldn't count this team out of any game this year. The last few years some of UND'S best football has been on the road. Maybe not W's but good football.

UND crushed em. I'm sure Gene Roebuck is smiling somewhere. Ha.

Hendrickson went 5 for 6 last night with 2 TD's and including one for 44 yards... pretty darn good considering we were in "run the ball" mode for his time on the field.

I'm willing to give the guy a chance to lead this team over the next few weeks - hopefully he is up for the challenge.

I would have my doubts if they throw someone in at QB that hasn't played since HS. You're taking a big chance there - you'll be a god or a goat; no in-between.

I'm not very concerned about Hendrickson leading this team. He's a great athlete, and has a cannon for an arm, maybe even throws it harder than Hanson. Accuracy was his problem in the past, but that was two seasons ago. He's got 4+ years in the program. He's probably the perfect guy to have on the roster in this situation.

Seth Nichols played qb for three years at UND. Blair has played qb for 0 years at UND. He will see more of the ball at WR than Nichols will at te. It's a no brainer

Has anyone seen much of Nichols at QB from practices / scrimmages past? What seems to be his strong point?

Given the QB situation of the past 3 years, I was somewhat surprised when Nichols moved to tight-end last season. He is a huge kid with a big arm and had a stellar high-school career, as a typical drop-back passer. I believe that he took some game snaps behind Landry or Goska, but I'm not sure if he has ever thrown a pass in a game. Given all that, I'd give him the edge over Townsend as a potential backup. They were in the same class and the staff moved Townsend to receiver right away, while Nichols spent 3 years in the program as a QB.