SiouxSports.com Forum

Measure 4 tv ad

darell1976

& VOTE NO

That would be a waste of taxpayer money. Keeping the nickname is going to cost the University money. And it could force another election which would cost more taxpayer money. Vote YES to save taxpayer dollars, and allow UND to move on.

Fetch, we are still waiting to hear how keeping the name and being sanctioned by the NCAA, not hosting playoff games, and schools refusing to play us is a good thing. Yes we know that you want to keep the name, but sometimes you have to look at the consequesnces of your actions. Please explain how keeping the name and suffereing the known consequences is going to be a good thing for UND and its athletic teams? Still waiting.....

Fetch, we are still waiting to hear how keeping the name and being sanctioned by the NCAA, not hosting playoff games, and schools refusing to play us is a good thing. Yes we know that you want to keep the name, but sometimes you have to look at the consequesnces of your actions. Please explain how keeping the name and suffereing the known consequences is going to be a good thing for UND and its athletic teams? Still waiting.....

And you'll be waiting a long, long time my friend. Fetch has no answer for that.

more noise :p

How about this noise from Dave Hakstol via UNDSID

....“The significant reduction in opportunities for success for (our) teams and for these student-athletes is not acceptable." -- Dave Hakstol.

Swallow your pride and admit that voting YES is the only real answer for the future of UND.

All you taught your daughter was daddy is an unfair jerk trying to show off to the other parents. I see you avoided what you would have done to a different kid though. In poker that is called a tell. And you sir a 2 cent wannabe coach. The job no one else's egos needed pumpin up to take. Loser? That is why I have the cash and assests to be able to sit around the pool all afternoon in Phoenix and enjoy life? I have been watching and researching sport parents for years. I have more respect for the meth head in jail than these ego driven parents. How many varsity sports did you or your wife ever play?

Somehow it struck me that the reason he can afford the pool is explained 2 sentences later.

O’Keefe said he worries about “the degree of divisiveness this has brought on UND, its alumni and friends,” including among faculty, families and former teammates. “Particularly in the past year and a half, the division has gone to nuclear levels.” From that article Sioux82 posted.

This is very true....we're all Sioux (oh I meant UND fans :o)) and now we all hate each other. I have been posting on this site for roughly 2 months and have learned two things.....many of these posters don't know a heck of a lot about hockey other than Sioux hockey and if you vote No to measure 4 you might as well be mentally handicapped (sarcasm meant obviously to most of you childish posters). I find it funny how the same guys (you know who I'm talking about) blab all day about voting Yes (at no end), however, when a few of us try to note we support the No voters you all absolutely lose it. Many of you need to eat your own words.

• Upvote 2

O’Keefe said he worries about “the degree of divisiveness this has brought on UND, its alumni and friends,” including among faculty, families and former teammates. “Particularly in the past year and a half, the division has gone to nuclear levels.” From that article Sioux82 posted.

This is very true....we're all Sioux (oh I meant UND fans :o)) and now we all hate each other. I have been posting on this site for roughly 2 months and have learned two things.....many of these posters don't know a heck of a lot about hockey other than Sioux hockey and if you vote No to measure 4 you might as well be mentally handicapped (sarcasm meant obviously to most of you childish posters). I find it funny how the same guys (you know who I'm talking about) blab all day about voting Yes (at no end), however, when a few of us try to note we support the No voters you all absolutely lose it. Many of you need to eat your own words.

You keep basing your "No" vote (I guess opinion, not vote since you live in the cities right?) and other comments on the information that isn't correct. The fact is, a lot of people on this board care that much about UND to continually correct you and others that are misinformed and to make sure others don't think what you are saying is actually factual.

• Upvote 1

When people make claims about how the NCAA is going to back down on the sanctions, that we aren't going to lose recruits, that schools that say they won't play us will "wise up" and start to schedule us, and that our membership in the Big Sky is not in jeopardy, those of us who know the FACTS have to come on here and educate the poster and those reading it about the truth. When we hear flat out LIES about the issue, we call them out. Sorry you take offense to it. But if you are going to give FALSE information about the issue, prepare to be corrected.

There are facts that you and others continue to ignore. You throw out comments like you "hope that the NCAA will back down some day" or something like that. Many of us realize that there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that the NCAA will back down. And the whole time that UND would be waiting, and on sanctions, it would slowly be worn down by the sanctions. That is not acceptable to those of us that realize the school and the athletic department are much more important than a simple college sports nickname. This has become a very serious issue to many of us. Keeping the nickname is potentially very dangerous to the school because of the sanctions and we don't want to even take that chance. This isn't a game. This is serious business. And you don't understand why we don't just let you keep saying the same thing over and over again without ever really saying anything other than you really, really like the name.

That would be a waste of taxpayer money. Keeping the nickname is going to cost the University money. And it could force another election which would cost more taxpayer money. Vote YES to save taxpayer dollars, and allow UND to move on.

If only you guys had made this arguement 8 years ago instead of talking tough we would not be where we are today. Take ownership of the problem you helped create instead of being the savoir today. None of you have ever taken any responsibility for helping create this fiasco.

If only you guys had made this arguement 8 years ago instead of talking tough we would not be where we are today. Take ownership of the problem you helped create instead of being the savoir today. None of you have ever taken any responsibility for helping create this fiasco.

Eight years ago, the name still could have been saved. Many people were doing what they could to make that happen. Once the settlement was reached and the deadline passed, it became a dead issue. That's when a majority of people saw the writing on the wall. Why do you continue to post just to rile people up?

Isn't moving to retire it today taking ownership? 8 years ago there were still options available. Today there is not.

I assume from you comments, your view has never changed on anything. Must be easy living up in your ivory tower.

8 years ago many of us recognized that a problem was coming. The solution at that time was for UND to develop relationships with the tribes. I know that some people communicated that to UND officials, most of us were not in a position to make that happen. Not quite 7 years ago the NCAA issued their policy, and quickly offered an appeal process. UND tried to use the appeal process with the support of most alumni, the tribes did not cooperate. UND looked at other legal options because there were some legal options. The result was the settlement. If you go back and read the discussion at that time you will see that many people recognized it would be difficult to get approvals from both tribes. But if there was a chance it was worth taking. As the settlement period went on it became more and more obvious to people that Standing Rock was not going to change. Some of us moved to supporting retirement of the name at that time, and when it threatened conference membership. More moved to supporting retirement after the settlement period ended. Many others have move to that side as they learn about the actual results of sanctions. Others have not moved yet.

8 years ago there wasn't a direct and immediate threat to the University. That threat became more concrete and more immediate over the last 8 years. And now you attack people that are finally realizing the magnitude of the threat. You really know how to make friends.

Isn't moving to retire it today taking ownership? 8 years ago there were still options available. Today there is not.

I assume from you comments, your view has never changed on anything. Must be easy living up in your ivory tower.

No that is how you spin away your previous inolvement without taking ownership. There were no real options 8 years ago and the people that understood the reality of the situation saw this. You guys put on the blinders and charged at the windmills until you saw that it was not going to work years later and then pretended in your own self-rightous way that you are now leading the good fight. How long ago was it when your god sent out the email on his UND account in support of Al Carlson and his law? Were you not singing his praises at the time? Hmmm now we can just forget that all of you did that?

8 years ago many of us recognized that a problem was coming. The solution at that time was for UND to develop relationships with the tribes. I know that some people communicated that to UND officials, most of us were not in a position to make that happen. Not quite 7 years ago the NCAA issued their policy, and quickly offered an appeal process. UND tried to use the appeal process with the support of most alumni, the tribes did not cooperate. UND looked at other legal options because there were some legal options. The result was the settlement. If you go back and read the discussion at that time you will see that many people recognized it would be difficult to get approvals from both tribes. But if there was a chance it was worth taking. As the settlement period went on it became more and more obvious to people that Standing Rock was not going to change. Some of us moved to supporting retirement of the name at that time, and when it threatened conference membership. More moved to supporting retirement after the settlement period ended. Many others have move to that side as they learn about the actual results of sanctions. Others have not moved yet.

8 years ago there wasn't a direct and immediate threat to the University. That threat became more concrete and more immediate over the last 8 years. And now you attack people that are finally realizing the magnitude of the threat. You really know how to make friends.

Yes there were direct threats towards the university by not understanding the pecking order. Well at least I don't change who I am or what I believe to be accepted by the rest of the group.

There were no real options 8 years ago and the people that understood the reality of the situation saw this.

Really?

-UND had the same oppurtunity that FSU had at that time, getting approval from one of the tribes. That seems like an option.

-UND sued, then settled with the NCAA with the ability to keep the nickname. A longshot, but still an option.

The state law wasn't really an option but it gave many the closure they needed to see the writing on the wall.

Yes there were direct threats towards the university by not understanding the pecking order. Well at least I don't change who I am or what I believe to be accepted by the rest of the group.

Good for you, you are rigid and unable to learn new things. You don't change your opinion based on a changing situation. And you are bitter that other people didn't support you the entire time, or because they don't have the exact same reason for coming to the same conclusion. You would rather support people that blindly follow their own path, even if it is completely at odds with yours, than accept people onto your side. That is a great method for building a consensus.