SiouxSports.com Forum

#1 Sioux vs. #4 Western Michigan

brianvf

For anyone that hasn't seen it, here is Chris Dilk's latest attempt at humor if UND beats WMU and BU beats the Gophers. Wow, that's really not very funny. So now we are making light of sexual assaults I am sure the victims will be amused. .

Plus, North Dakota and Boston University could potentially meet in the second round of the tournament, setting up the 'Racists vs. Rapists' headline I've had locked and loaded for weeks now.

Has anyone forwarded that link to BU yet?

... but if the boys play anything like this weekend we should be all right and I feel it is a good matchup for us.

IMO, the Sioux need to play better and play for the complete 60 min if they want to get to the Frozen Four.

I was not very impressed with our play against St.Cloud and for the better part of two periods we were getting worked pretty good by MN.

Hard to evaluate the Denver game as they had no gas left and were playing with 4 defenseman for most of the game.

They should feel good they won the WCHA playoff title but they shouldn't feel too good, they need to step up their play and consistency if they want to be playing after this weekend.

How good do you think the attendance will be this weekend?

I think it will be solid for both semifinal games. If both BU and WMU win on Saturday, championship attendance will suffer. If either UND or UM are in the championship game, the crowd will be good. If it's a rematch of Friday's Final Five Semifinal, it will be insane in there.

IMO, the Sioux need to play better and play for the complete 60 min if they want to get to the Frozen Four.

I was not very impressed with our play against St.Cloud and for the better part of two periods we were getting worked pretty good by MN.

Hard to evaluate the Denver game as they had no gas left and were playing with 4 defenseman for most of the game.

They should feel good they won the WCHA playoff title but they shouldn't feel too good, they need to step up their play and consistency if they want to be playing after this weekend.

Exactly if they play 60 mins for the next four games we take home #8...our team is young but learns fast and at this point are pretty battle tested...we keep our heads and play full on for the entire 60 mins I truly believe we can beat any team in the field

Good points. I'm sure we're all tickled that the Sioux are in the tourney, given what they have gone through, but we would be foolish to take too much from the FinFiv weekend. Sure is nice to be in the gravy phase, though.

I think Saturday has two good hockey games in store for everyone at the West Regional. I think one of the biggest factors will be the crowd. Will the Sioux fans out spirit the gopher fans, and if so, its a road game for the Broncos....or will Goldy crawl out from under the rock they've been hiding under since Friday night and make it as tough on the Sioux as possible?

Everything from here is gravy for me as a Sioux fan. Looking forward to some great college hockey all weekend long!

I think Saturday has two good hockey games in store for everyone at the West Regional. I think one of the biggest factors will be the crowd. Will the Sioux fans out spirit the gopher fans, and if so, its a road game for the Broncos....or will Goldy crawl out from under the rock they've been hiding under since Friday night and make it as tough on the Sioux as possible?

Everything from here is gravy for me as a Sioux fan. Looking forward to some great college hockey all weekend long!

Playing the first game is probably an advantage because the Gopher fans won't all show up for both games.

Playing the first game is probably an advantage because the Gopher fans won't all show up for both games.

Dang it you just beat me to it. I remember the year we lost to Ferris St. at the toilet. Might have been 1000 fans. Plenty of Sioux fans wanted tickets but couldn't get them since sold as package.

Dang it you just beat me to it. I remember the year we lost to Ferris St. at the toilet. Might have been 1000 fans. Plenty of Sioux fans wanted tickets but couldn't get them since sold as package.

I remember watching that game in Brannon Hall wondering why more Sioux fans weren't in attendance.....probably a good thing.....losing to Ferris at the John isn't a fond memory.

I do remember that fricken goalie from Ferris having the game of his life against the Sioux and then literally pooping his breezers against the gophers.

I was at that game. Had Club seating at the John. I think they even served beer there. The hard part was going back the next day and watching Ferris State get beat on by the Goofs.

No doubt the Sioux has the heart to win. Just not sure we have the guns to continue this grueling pace. If we get by WMU, and that's a big if, we are in for an epic battle with whom ever we play. Should it be the Gophers, I have a heard time believing they lay an egg two weekends in a row.

No doubt the Sioux has the heart to win. Just not sure we have the guns to continue this grueling pace. If we get by WMU, and that's a big if, we are in for an epic battle with whom ever we play. Should it be the Gophers, I have a heard time believing they lay an egg two weekends in a row.

The gophers do have chicken-yellow colored hair, so I think they are capable of laying another egg.

• Upvote 2

Also similar to the year we played the regioinals in Madison and had the early game. There were like 100 Badgers fans there for the bulk of the game, but they were pouring in at the end of our game. I think we won't see most the Gophers fans until half way through the game... Especially since it's being played so early...

I think we won't see most the Gophers fans until half way through the game... Especially since it's being played so early...

The early game might be the last chance for many of the Gopher faithful to watch some really good hockey for the year. I think that they'll be showing up. With their brown and yellow gear in paper sacks until Goldie takes the ice.

One overlooked benefit of playing with only 17 skaters is that we can doubleshift some of our better forwards on the fourth line.

Nelson's goal that tied the MN game at 3-3 I believe occured when he was skating on the fourth line.

With all the TV timeouts in the playoffs the fourth line should not be needed as much and when it is we can add a pretty good player to the mix.

One overlooked benefit of playing with only 17 skaters is that we can doubleshift some of our better forwards on the fourth line.

Nelson's goal that tied the MN game at 3-3 I believe occured when he was skating on the fourth line.

With all the TV timeouts in the playoffs the fourth line should not be needed as much and when it is we can add a pretty good player to the mix.

Lot different than last year when we cried about TV timeouts against Michigan...this year they are our friend.

Our guys have to be in top condition from playing shorthanded the last month, I feel strangely comfortable playing 17 guys at this point...although 1 untimely injury could change that in a hurry.

They have a veteran NHL coach behind the bench, so they will be prepared to play. I doubt that they will have ever played in front of 15,000 fans, which is a bonus our boys have with the size of the Ralph (11,000) any given weekend, and the fact we just played our best hockey of the year at the X in front of a packed bi-partisan crowd. Expect more of the same with WMU getting the Gopher faithful behind them.

I don't know much about them, except for their goalie has been on a nice run and has pretty good numbers.

Our D is significantly bigger than theirs, and we are certain to have more skill on our top-line.

Special teams are always big in the tourney, and we saw how big a hole a team can dig if they parade to the box (us on Friday, DU on Saturday).

Despite stereotypes, UND is one of the least penalized times in the NCAA this year.

WMU will be hungry, we need to be hungrier. We need to win 5 on 5 and we need to have quick feet...win loose puck battles = win the game.

I would say defensively that the Broncos are very, very good. We absolutely have to captialize on our chances to move on.

We're at the West bench, so we'll shoot at the East net twice. I saw the map when I went to get my tickets.

In other words, the same net we shot at twice on Friday and Saturday night this last weekend.

no matter where your tickets are, you'll be able to move around fairly easily i think. i just remembered how lame these regional games are for atmosphere. long timeouts and the NC$$ propaganda on the screen during breaks make for a pretty sterile environment. those who haven't been to one, don't expect it to be like the final five that's for sure.

no matter where your tickets are, you'll be able to move around fairly easily i think. i just remembered how lame these regional games are for atmosphere. long timeouts and the NC$$ propaganda on the screen during breaks make for a pretty sterile environment. those who haven't been to one, don't expect it to be like the final five that's for sure.

Thats disappointing to hear...

]

The worst thing is there will be no BEER!