SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs Gophers

AZSIOUX

As we were walking out after the game, a Gopher fan standing on the sidewalk gave us a wistful smile and said "Congratulations". So there is at least one Gopher fan out there that is fair, polite and just plain CLASSY. Yes, we did say " Thank You".

There's a lot of that out there, on both sides. We just hear about the ugly stuff ....

As we were walking out after the game, a Gopher fan standing on the sidewalk gave us a wistful smile and said "Congratulations". So there is at least one Gopher fan out there that is fair, polite and just plain CLASSY. Yes, we did say " Thank You".

We met a handful of nice Gopher fans. The one sitting beside my friend didn't understand why we kept cheering "Let's go Sioux," even toward the end of the game so she explained that this is just what we do; cheer our team all the way through. I don't have a problem with a little picking and prodding from another fan base, this rivalry just gets a little too ugly sometimes.

I was actually extremely embarassed by the amount of a$$hole Gopher fans I saw this weekend. Most people on GPL agree with that as well. Mariucci isn't even a quarter as bad as it was this weekend at the X. Granted I also saw a lot of a$$hole UND fans, but there were more Gopher ones that I saw. I stood up for my buddies that were UND fans on multiple occasions this weekend and even they were actually in awe that I was doing that. The fact is that I HATE the fans who are complete A-holes on any team, including my own.

On another note, the 3 UND buddies of mine that did tailgating with the GPL guys and myself all 3 days were VERY surprised at how welcomed they were by them and how nice they were.

• Upvote 1

I was actually extremely embarassed by the amount of a$$hole Gopher fans I saw this weekend. Most people on GPL agree with that as well. Mariucci isn't even a quarter as bad as it was this weekend at the X. Granted I also saw a lot of a$$hole UND fans, but there were more Gopher ones that I saw. I stood up for my buddies that were UND fans on multiple occasions this weekend and even they were actually in awe that I was doing that. The fact is that I HATE the fans who are complete A-holes on any team, including my own.

On another note, the 3 UND buddies of mine that did tailgating with the GPL guys and myself all 3 days were VERY surprised at how welcomed they were by them and how nice they were.

I have a couple of buddies who are diehard Gopher fans. We met at the Final Five many years ago. They are passionate and very knowledgeable about the game. They can appreciate a good play no matter who makes it. We have a good time every time we meet and we will be going out for supper after the Saturday games. But we did not have one other Gopher fan say a good word and over the three days had many many negative comments. I did not respond once and before she could stop herself my wife did respond once to a guy who was a real jerk. No one wanted to take it outside or challenge me to a fight, but in total this was definitely the worst we have ever experienced at the Final Five or at a Gopher-Sioux game.

I have a couple of buddies who are diehard Gopher fans. We met at the Final Five many years ago. They are passionate and very knowledgeable about the game. They can appreciate a good play no matter who makes it. We have a good time every time we meet and we will be going out for supper after the Saturday games. But we did not have one other Gopher fan say a good word and over the three days had many many negative comments. I did not respond once and before she could stop herself my wife did respond once to a guy who was a real jerk. No one wanted to take it outside or challenge me to a fight, but in total this was definitely the worst we have ever experienced at the Final Five or at a Gopher-Sioux game.

I call this the entitlement crowd, they have been around for a long time. We will always continue to see it from some fans. We of course have halos! :hypocrite:

Wow. What a blast. What a way to end what may well prove to be the final time that the North Dakota Fighting Sioux jerseys are ever worn on the ice. Pride. Courage. Tradition. Overcoming battles. This is the lasting legacy left by the boys to the program in Saint Paul this past weekend. Regardless of what might happen from here on in, and good things lie ahead, no one will ever be able to say that the spirit of the Fighting Sioux was weak or lost in Saint Paul March 16-18, 2012. Those little Gopher blondie boys must still have the look of utter shell shock in their blank stares as the third period Sioux massacre swarmed around them. We saw them from ice level. Priceless stuff. Priceless weekend. Long live the courage, pride, and tradition of the Fighting Sioux of NDU!!

I think the regional will be different with the lack of alcohol sales.

I say this every year: the Final Five brings out a lot of the fairweather type fans who don't know the game very well. Their knowledge of the game is: "Insert team name SUCKS!"

I had a handful of gopher fans come up to me after the game and say nice things. Now, on St Patty's day, I encountered the worst Gopher fans ever. Granted, many probably didn't even know that the Sioux beat them the night before. Oh well, still had a hell of a time. THREE-PEAT!

I made the comment that this was the most angry I have seen the masses at the Final Five. Not sure about Sioux fans, we were just happy, but St Cloud and Gopher fans were extremely angry at times! (rightfully so, I suppose)

A couple things from the U of M fans and our fans (UND):

1. Saw a lot of Gopher fans comment to me whether I was wearing my black Toews Sioux Reebok jersey or my Sioux T-shirt - with the people looking at me and commenting for no reason "Hey, the Sioux suck!" ... "You're a Sioux fan, Sioux suck!" etc... -- Having fun and always winning the battle (my mentality on how I was raised and born, not trying to be a jackass) "Hey, glad you remembered how to get to the Xcel this year" ... "Hey, are you going to the third place game today?" (after the Sioux beat the Gophers Friday night) "Hey, did the Gophers have practice today?" comments to Gopher fans at the Championship game between UND and Denver.

2. I met some great Gopher fans; so much so, that they bought me my late night meal at Mickey's at 2:30 Friday night! (A $50 tab amongst 4 people) Also the Gopher fans were cool sh^ts. His comment, "That dang Sioux team, I knew they wouldn't quit when they were down 3-0, they never do!" "Hey, regardless of your name/logo issue your jerseys and fans are awesome, even though every fan base has a few bad apples"

3. My main problem at the Xcel Energy Center, the Ushers in Club row. They got a little heated with our section of 20+ some Sioux fans cheering heavily Friday night, then come Saturday against Denver, they monitored and spot checked our tickets twice throughout the game, making sure we had Club level tickets. - Our group was a bunch of young professionals in the ages of 25-30, yes beer was being consumed, but we didn't use any profanity or make any rude comments around the fans around us...basically the ushers were disappointed because we were a little rowdy and had a lot of fun! -- They also thought having that many Sioux fans 3 rows deep was absurd! Hey, sorry for having friends!

And for a good laugh from a St. Cloud fan Saturday morning during St. Patty's day.

"Hey, the Sioux suck, you and your fans are losers."

My rebuttal Hey, good season St. Cloud, there's always next year.

His response, "Hey, we'll see you in the National Tournament."

My response: "Sorry, kid you won't, your season in over (St. Cloud), figure it, your comment was the dumbest thing I've heard all weekend!"

Lastly one more from a Gopher fan Saturday morning in St. Paul during St. Patty's Day:

"Sioux are terrible, they suck."

Me: We beat the the Gophers last night, did you not see that, you must be a gopher fan"

Her reply: "We just didn't care and didn't really try" ...Wow, what a fair weather fan and response!

I made the comment that this was the most angry I have seen the masses at the Final Five. Not sure about Sioux fans, we were just happy, but St Cloud and Gopher fans were extremely angry at times! (rightfully so, I suppose)

I found the best way to handle those fans was ignore them and cheer extra loud in their general direction when the Sioux mounted that insane comeback. That was the best hockey game I have ever been to hands down! I'm still in shock that it happened and made me very proud of this team and proud to be a fan of the Fighting Sioux.

I found the best way to handle those fans was ignore them and cheer extra loud in their general direction when the Sioux mounted that insane comeback. That was the best hockey game I have ever been to hands down! I'm still in shock that it happened and made me very proud of this team and proud to be a fan of the Fighting Sioux.

All I can say is that the best hockey tournament in the country has way too much hostility between fan bases. I have been going to the Final Five for 6 years now and the hostility seems to be growing worse every year. It amazes me that so many people can't enjoy beer and great hockey without all the hostility.

• Upvote 1

Minnesota players get it - as per their comments in the newspapers. It's a great rivalry and fun for them to play in. Minnesota fans can't stand it that a small school from a small state has created a college hockey dynasty - thank you Ralph.

Minnesota players get it - as per their comments in the newspapers. It's a great rivalry and fun for them to play in. Minnesota fans can't stand it that a small school from a small state has created a college hockey dynasty - thank you Ralph.

Tyler Matson gets it.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/143263796.html