SiouxSports.com Forum

Power of the Sioux Name and Logo

Rick

• 4 weeks later...

I don't live in North Dakota but have started wearing my Fighitng Sioux clothing more often - since I'm told very soon it will be against the law to wear it :glare:. Every time out I have been approched by somone - alumni, parents of current students, interested by-standers and asked: is it still possible to purchase Fighting Sioux clothing (yes how many do you want), questions about when a new nickname will be chosen (no time soon) and comments about how stupid and unfair the NCAA was about the nickname (this usually prompts a brief dissertation from me).

I don't live in North Dakota but have started wearing my Fighitng Sioux clothing more often - since I'm told very soon it will be against the law to wear it :glare:.

Absolutely, 100%, without a doubt, completely false. No one will be able to tell you you can't wear clothing with the Sioux logo on it. We have a Constitution to protect rights like these. Whoever told you that could not be any further from the truth. This is America, not North Korea!! Ha!

• Upvote 1

Absolutely, 100%, without a doubt, completely false. No one will be able to tell you you can't wear clothing with the Sioux logo on it. We have a Constitution to protect rights like these. Whoever told you that could not be any further from the truth. This is America, not North Korea!! Ha!

I was mostly joking but there have already seen instances shared where buildings prohibit the wearing of specific icons etc. You need to chat with Mafia Man he will scare the "I have the freedom to wear anything I want" daylights out of you. I realize that UND admin has always said they will never prohibit the wearing of Fighting Sioux clothing but then came the gathering of 100 on campus this spring and one of their demands was to remove and prohibit the Fighting Sioux logo from campus. It's already a policy (unspoken perhaps) that UND employees cannot wear the logo while at work.

I was mostly joking but there have already seen instances shared where buildings prohibit the wearing of specific icons etc. You need to chat with Mafia Man he will scare the "I have the freedom to wear anything I want" daylights out of you. I realize that UND admin has always said they will never prohibit the wearing of Fighting Sioux clothing but then came the gathering of 100 on campus this spring and one of their demands was to remove and prohibit the Fighting Sioux logo from campus. It's already a policy (unspoken perhaps) that UND employees cannot wear the logo while at work.

I don't see it happening. Do you really think REA wants to have a 60% drop in attendance for hockey and basketball? And do you think UND wants to have a similar drop in football attendance at the Alerus Center? I am not a big fan of Kelley and his leadership style, but I believe him when he says he will not do this. There is just too much to lose, starting with his job.

It's already a policy (unspoken perhaps) that UND employees cannot wear the logo while at work.

Can you name the department or describe your source? While UND's handling of the nickname is certainly fair game for criticism, I believe that people on here are entitled to know whether something asserted as true is a fact or merely a rumor. No offense, but I am calling BS on this one.

Can you name the department or describe your source? While UND's handling of the nickname is certainly fair game for criticism, I believe that people on here are entitled to know whether something asserted as true is a fact or merely a rumor. No offense, but I am calling BS on this one.

Someone needs to ask Hak if he has been told he cannot wear fighting Sioux clothing? Including when he is not at work but in public? How about the players? What are they told? I have never seen a current player wearing a fighting Sioux cap or T-shirt during an interview since they stole our identity two years ago. The realities of this whole thing are quite sick if one actually considers what is going on...

What has been said to players, coaches and faculty? Come on Press?? Ask some questions...

The reason I stated it as "It's already a policy - unspoken perhaps" is the way it was shared with me. I was wearing a "Once a Sioux, always a Sioux" shirt and was doing some business on campus. The UND employee said she liked my shirt and i told her I could get her one. She volunteered that they weren't allowed to wear Fighting Sioux logo wear while on the job because someone might assume they were "pro-nickname". It was in Wilkerson Hall. Now I didn't ask if that was a campus-wide policy and just left it at that. I had another woman purchase a Once a Sioux, always a Sioux shirt and she shared she was an employee at UND and knew she would never be able to wear it while on the job - so yes just hear-say I will admit.

The reason I stated it as "It's already a policy - unspoken perhaps" is the way it was shared with me. I was wearing a "Once a Sioux, always a Sioux" shirt and was doing some business on campus. The UND employee said she liked my shirt and i told her I could get her one. She volunteered that they weren't allowed to wear Fighting Sioux logo wear while on the job because someone might assume they were "pro-nickname". It was in Wilkerson Hall. Now I didn't ask if that was a campus-wide policy and just left it at that. I had another woman purchase a Once a Sioux, always a Sioux shirt and she shared she was an employee at UND and knew she would never be able to wear it while on the job - so yes just hear-say I will admit.

I am a UND employee and have worked in an area where it was requested that we not wear Sioux logos (not mandated...just requested due to constant interaction with the general public and the goal of being completely neutral), and another area where nothing has been said...ever. In fact, there are quite a few people who wear the logo, mainly on denim days.

I can only describe my personal experiences, though.

• 3 months later...

I don't think they would even let you wear the Sioux logo as a Halloween costume...if I can remember the recent memo from the new campus diversity Czar stating that everyone needs to be aware of your costume's potential to be interpreted by others as hurtful or disparaging of other cultures...Do you need anything else to tell you we're on the PC crazy train on our beloved campus? 

Can you name the department or describe your source? While UND's handling of the nickname is certainly fair game for criticism, I believe that people on here are entitled to know whether something asserted as true is a fact or merely a rumor. No offense, but I am calling BS on this one

Finanical Aid and I believe most departments in Twamley can not wear FS apparel

I don't think they would even let you wear the Sioux logo as a Halloween costume...if I can remember the recent memo from the new campus diversity Czar stating that everyone needs to be aware of your costume's potential to be interpreted by others as hurtful or disparaging of other cultures...Do you need anything else to tell you we're on the PC crazy train on our beloved campus? 

http://webapp.und.edu/dept/our/uletter/?p=50142

Halloween can be a time to have fun as we dress up as characters very different from ourselves.  As you think about your costume this year, please be thoughtful about the impact your costume choice may have on others in our community.

Sometimes costumes, including those sold by major retailers, may be offensive in their depiction of people’s heritage. Please be aware that making the choice to dress up as someone from another culture, even with the intention of being humorous and not disrespectful, can lead to inaccurate and hurtful portrayals of other peoples' heritages.  Examples may include wearing makeup so as to completely alter your skin color to simulate that of a person of another race or wearing clothing that exaggerates or distorts the cultural heritage and traditions of others.

The University of North Dakota values creativity and freedom of expression as well inclusiveness, respect and sensitivity. While everyone has the freedom to have fun and be expressive, we also encourage you to celebrate that you are a part of a vibrant, diverse, exceptional community that strives to respect all members of our community.

Have a fun and safe Halloween.

Best,

Sandra L. Mitchell

Associate Vice President for Diversity and Inclusion

Finanical Aid and I believe most departments in Twamley can not wear FS apparel

Source?  Do you work there?  Can you share any written policies?  Or did it go something like this:

- Hello, Wildfan. What's happening? Uh… we have sort of a problem here. Yeah. You apparently wore a Sioux shirt on denim day today.

- Oh, yeah. I'm sorry about that. I, I forgot.

- Mmmm..yeah. You see, we're banning the Fighting Sioux logo from the building. Did you see the memo about this?

- Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. I've got the memo right here, but, uh, uh, I just forgot. But, uh, it's almost 4:30, so there's no problem.

- Yeah. If you could just go ahead and make sure you do that from now on, that will be great. And Uh, I'll go ahead and make sure you get another copy of that memo. Mmmm, OK?

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...