SiouxSports.com Forum

Alumni Association begins campaign against nickname

jimdahl

Standing Rock, oddly enough, doesn't even entirely reside in North Dakota. Wonder why UND can't get approval?

like the rest, the ncaa wants a sioux tribe, the only one entirely in ND and closest to UND wants UND to use the their name,

but the NCAA says, "NO, we know better!" ???

WTF.

For one thing the SR Tribe were actual warriors that fought as to the SL Tribe they stayed out of the battles. They did not even live in what became North Dakota until the 1860's.

Creation of the Devils Lake Sioux Reservation

After the Dakota Conflict of 1862, a few Dakotas remained in Minnesota. Most were driven or fled onto the plains of the Dakota Territory while others fled to Canada. The Mdewakanton and Wahpekute bands had been removed to the Santee and Crow Creek Reservations on the Missouri River. The Sisseton and Wahpeton bands, who had been mostly innocent of participating in the uprising, settled in northern Dakota.

In February 1867, delegates went to Washington to make a new treaty. The treaty provided for the establishment of Lake Traverse, or Sisseton, Reservation in eastern Dakota, and another reservation south of Devils Lake for those wandering groups of Sissetons and Wahpetons who refused to come to Lake Traverse. The Cut Head band of Yanktonai Sioux was also included in the Treaty. (Pfaller, 1978, p. 6) When Fort Totten was built in 1867, there were no Indians in the immediate vicinity. The fort was established by General A. H. Terry, and named in honor of Brevet Major General Joseph Gilbert Totten, the late chief engineer of the U.S. Army. (DeNoyer, 1901, p.183) http://www.ndstudies.org/resources/IndianStudies/spiritlake/historical_reservation.html

Now that Hak sees the danger to other sports...how about educating the hockey only crowd on this.

it is great that coach hakstol came out with this statement . maybe now we won't have to read about all that he cares about is the hockey team and not the rest of the school. you can quit with your categorizing this as hockey against everybody else. it's not that simple and you know it. continuing that talk does nothing but divide the UND community .

• Upvote 1

it is great that coach hakstol came out with this statement . maybe now we won't have to read about all that he cares about is the hockey team and not the rest of the school. you can quit with your categorizing this as hockey against everybody else. it's not that simple and you know it. continuing that talk does nothing but divide the UND community .

Thank you. When this whole thing with the NCAA started, it was us against them...now we have a bunch of sub-groups, each with their own agenda...we got nickname savers, nickname haters, hockey only, UND only, power hungry, pro UND that never attended the school, outspoken alumni, big fat liars, the misinformed, and the just plain stupid...I'm pretty sure I fall into the last two categories at the very least.:).

I'm looking forward when we will just be UND again...end of rant...

• Upvote 1

And yet another gem from Frank Burggraf:

Frank Burggraf, a member of Sioux hockey teams from 1978 to 1982 and a member of the committee sponsoring the pro-nickname petition drives, was participating in a news conference with Spirit Lake Sioux supporters of the nickname in Fargo when he heard about Hakstol’s statement.

“That’s unfortunate to hear,” he said.

Burggraf suggested that Hakstol “had to make it” (the statement) to preserve his position at UND. Hakstol is currently negotiating a new contract with the school. His current one runs out at the end of the season.

His silence or the "no comment" was what people didn't like. You are for keeping the name or for the retirement. There is no both. The NCAA doesn't believe in both. Now he finally gave his stance...which I am sure pissed some people off but at least he is honest about it.

You realize that the coaches were told to not comment on the nickname, Hak mentioned that today in the press conference.

Hak probably finally realized when Lucia, Maturi, Eaves, and Alvarez explained that their schools can not play a team called the "Fighting Sioux" in non-conference play that the name is a real problem. When it was every other sport at UND with a problem Hak didn't have much to say. When it's his problem no kidding he's going to speak.

PS - I have it on good authority that Cary Eades wore a shirt that simply said "North Dakota" across the front to the UND luncheon this week in Fargo. Surely that's part of Frank Burggraf's grand conspiracy as well.

• Upvote 1

If you haven't listened to what Hak said, you should. It's 15 minutes and it's at UNDsports.com.

http://www.fightingsioux.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=205380595

He lays out the facts. He makes it pretty clear that if the name is kept we'll lose control of too many other things, like being on sanctions, not being able to schedule certain (cough Wisconsin, Minnesota cough) schools, and it will, to his estimation, cost us a slot in the Big Sky.

Like he says, keep control of the name and lose control of all that or give up the name and control items that are critical to the success of UND Athletics in Division I.

• Upvote 2

If you haven't listened to what Hak said, you should. It's 15 minutes and it's at UNDsports.com.

http://www.fightings...TCLID=205380595

He lays out the facts. He makes it pretty clear that if the name is kept we'll lose control of too many other things, like being on sanctions, not being able to schedule certain (cough Wisconsin, Minnesota cough) schools, and it will, to his estimation, cost us a slot in the Big Sky.

Like he says, keep control of the name and lose control of all that or give up the name and control items that are critical to the success of UND Athletics in Division I.

It would be a bummer to not have UW and UM play us in hockey, but honestly I do find myself getting sick of UM's "dish it out but can't take it" attitude on the ice and by half of their fanbase, and UW was the driving force behind the B1G hockey. Also the notion that UM will only play us at their home ice is a dream they need to give up. In all other sports, they could pull that off, but in hockey we are equals(IMO UND is the more storied hockey school, but that is a matter of opinion), so we will be alternating those games home/away each year.

Don't get me wrong, I do hope we play each other every year, I was just saying that those institutions seem to think they walk on water and can have a condescending attitude towards everyone else.

• Upvote 1

It would be a bummer to not have UW and UM play us in hockey, but honestly I do find myself getting sick of UM's "dish it out but can't take it" attitude on the ice and by half of their fanbase, and UW was the driving force behind the B1G hockey. Also the notion that UM will only play us at their home ice is a dream they need to give up. In all other sports, they could pull that off, but in hockey we are equals(IMO UND is the more storied hockey school, but that is a matter of opinion), so we will be alternating those games home/away each year.

But they do have some leverage there. To a half-assed hockey fan like me, Minnesota and Wisconsin are the two schools that I want to see the most in Grand Forks..................

Chaske said he remains convinced that the NCAA, if presented with a statewide North Dakota vote supporting the nickname - including clear support at Standing Rock - would relent in its position on UND's noncompliance with NCAA policy on use of American Indian names and imagery.

I'm amazed that Clueless Al and Chaske were separated at birth. I'm glad they've found each other.

• Upvote 1

Chaske said he remains convinced that the NCAA, if presented with a statewide North Dakota vote supporting the nickname - including clear support at Standing Rock - would relent in its position on UND's noncompliance with NCAA policy on use of American Indian names and imagery.

I'm amazed that Clueless Al and Chaske were separated at birth. I'm glad they've found each other.

clear support at Standing Rock .....ummm, yeah, really just need(ed) that.