SiouxSports.com Forum

Alumni Association begins campaign against nickname

jimdahl

Chaske said he remains convinced that the NCAA, if presented with a statewide North Dakota vote supporting the nickname - including clear support at Standing Rock - would relent in its position on UND's noncompliance with NCAA policy on use of American Indian names and imagery.

I'm amazed that Clueless Al and Chaske were separated at birth. I'm glad they've found each other.

That would be great. He believes that I am sure, but all of that could happen without forcing the name issue on UND. Too many factors out of UND's control to risk the future of UND hockey and UND athletics on the opinion of a few people. The NCAA wouldn't relent when legislation was passed by the legislature. Get Standing Rock to relent, then we can start figuring our if we can then get the NCAA to move back on this issue. In the meantime, our teams and athletes have new conferences to join and games to win. The name will have to be a lower priority until we know for sure we will be held harmless.

Contracts are broken or amended all the time why is this one any different

Contracts can be amended or changed if both sides are agreeable. As has been repeated many times, the NCAA isn't going to agree to changing the settlement to allow use of Native American names or imagery. Breaking contracts often results in lawsuits, and the party that breaks the contract is normally the loser of the lawsuit. In this case the NCAA is getting exactly what they want out of the settlement, why would they agree to a change?

That would be great. He believes that I am sure, but all of that could happen without forcing the name issue on UND. Too many factors out of UND's control to risk the future of UND hockey and UND athletics on the opinion of a few people. The NCAA wouldn't relent when legislation was passed by the legislature. Get Standing Rock to relent, then we can start figuring our if we can then get the NCAA to move back on this issue. In the meantime, our teams and athletes have new conferences to join and games to win. The name will have to be a lower priority until we know for sure we will be held harmless.

In my own view, it was always the "Sword of Damocles" tying the moniker to any tribe's approval, let alone two tribes. Given the changes in politics in Indian Country an "approval" could have been revoked in the future,and we'd be having this same discussion again. Moreover, it creates the specter of one or more tribes effectively holding a school "hostage" at any given time. (Just try suing a "sovereign nation" for extortion or breach of contract.) Because of the money on the table, I doubt the Seminoles in Florida would pressure FSU on the name. It would be interesting to see if the Chippewa or Utes do it in the future.

& all they can do is stop us from having Home playoff games - you know darn well they would have it close & the Sioux Fans travel well where ever they are & screw the Gophers & Wisco if their that PC now

We get it, anything and everything that happens as a result of keeping the name and logo is "a small price to pay". :silly: Maybe in your delusional world, but not in mine. The sanctions will destroy UND athletics. Living under the sanctions is...not...an...option.

• Upvote 3

Hak said what he had to - to appease the SOB's in all this

I think he still wants to keep the name & will never lose his love & respect & pride in it

Multiply that times 1000000000 & that is what many (MANY) of us feel - we will never change & think we should take any opportunity to keep it alive - Never give up Hope

I think he still wants to keep the name & will never lose his love & respect & pride in it

Most people feel this way. And like Hakstol, Faison, Kelley, O'Keefe, etc, most people also realize that keeping is not worth the known and potential costs to the student-athletes, athletic department and University of North Dakota.

• Upvote 1

Why don't people get it. If we keep the Fighting Sioux we will:

- get kicked out of the Big Sky as they will not see us a a sactioned school as a viable member

- become an independent in all sports (except hockey) and face a scheduling nightmare

- lose recruits because they don't want to play for a school that has sanctions on it and not in a conference

- never play Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, and an ever growing list of schools EVER in any sport

It does not matter what we do with a statewide vote or a constitutional amendment. We have a legally binding settlement with the NCAA. They will hold firm to that. They reaffirmed that last August when the North Dakota delegation met with the President of the NCAA. All of the things mentioned above will happen. That is a fact. Choose to believe it or not.

I have been a fan of the University of North Dakota for as long as I can remember. I love the Fighting Sioux name and all that it represents. I want to keep the name as much as every other supporter. But there comes a time where you need to see what the reprocutions of keeping the name will be. And they are very serious and very real. I am a fan of the Fighting Sioux, but a Fan of the University of North Dakota first. Keeping the name will absulutley kill out athletic department because the things I mentioned above can and will happen.

• Upvote 2

Hak said what he had to - to appease the SOB's in all this I think he still wants to keep the name & will never lose his love & respect & pride in it Multiply that times 1000000000 & that is what many (MANY) of us feel - we will never change & think we should take any opportunity to keep it alive - Never give up Hope
M808295.jpg
  • Upvote 1

- get kicked out of the Big Sky as they will not see us a a sactioned school as a viable member

- become an independent in all sports (except hockey) and face a scheduling nightmare

- lose recruits because they don't want to play for a school that has sanctions on it and not in a conference

- never play Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, and an ever growing list of schools EVER in any sport

NONE of THAT IS A FACT - & could be delt with if it happened

Why don't people get it. If we keep the Fighting Sioux we will: - get kicked out of the Big Sky as they will not see us a a sactioned school as a viable member - become an independent in all sports (except hockey) and face a scheduling nightmare - lose recruits because they don't want to play for a school that has sanctions on it and not in a conference - never play Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, and an ever growing list of schools EVER in any sport NONE of THAT IS A FACT - & could be delt with if it happened

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt

WOW - I imagine you think that if you keep walking you'll fall off edge of the earth too!

• Upvote 1

If you listen to what Fullerton said, he said that they are very concerned with the issue, and can see UND not being a viable member. He said that although it takes a unanimous vote form all schools to remove a member, it is not that difficult to do.

If we are not in the Big Sky, we don't have a conference. There is no Great West after this year and no other conference is looking to expand. Without a conference, we will have to schedule all our games. No gauranteed games with any schools because we have no conference affiliation.

If we don't have a conference, can't host playoff games, end up playing lower quality teams (D2, NAIA), not being able to win a conference tourbnament, what is inticing a young athelete to come to UND? Recruiting will take a huge hit. no denying it.

Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa all have clearly stated they will not play us. that is a FACT. Cold hard fact. Basketball, Football, Hockey, whatever. And other schools are adopting the same policy.

I don't want to have to "deal with it" when these issues come up. It is not worh the risk.

• Upvote 1

If you listen to what Fullerton said, he said that they are very concerned with the issue, and can see UND not being a viable member. He said that although it takes a unanimous vote form all schools to remove a member, it is not that difficult to do.

If we are not in the Big Sky, we don't have a conference. There is no Great West after this year and no other conference is looking to expand. Without a conference, we will have to schedule all our games. No gauranteed games with any schools because we have no conference affiliation.

If we don't have a conference, can't host playoff games, end up playing lower quality teams (D2, NAIA), not being able to win a conference tourbnament, what is inticing a young athelete to come to UND? Recruiting will take a huge hit. no denying it.

Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa all have clearly stated they will not play us. that is a FACT. Cold hard fact. Basketball, Football, Hockey, whatever. And other schools are adopting the same policy.

I don't want to have to "deal with it" when these issues come up. It is not worh the risk.

Fullerton isn't real but actually Douple in disguise. We can live without a conference look at Notre Dame. We will be fine in basketball look at Alcorn State (RPI 330 out of 344 teams). Oh wait reality check....Fullerton is real and so is his words. We don't have the $$$ like Notre Dame to live in Independent hell, and I think we deserve a basketball team better than the bottom of DI.

Interesting isn't it, that those whom would be tasked with dealing with it if it happened now favor dropping the name?

well you may have to - so don't put all your egg(heads) in one basket

I got news for you: "Clueless Al" Carlson is going to LOSE in his fight with the ND Supreme Court and this asinine nickname law will be tossed into the dustbin of history where it belongs. Then the UND Alumni Association is going to campaign against this even more asinine constitutional amendment that is being pushed and get that defeated (assuming it gets on the November ballot). Then you can fade quietly into the night since you care more about the name and logo than the institution itself. And we won't have to read your delusional drivel any longer. :angry:

• Upvote 1