SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 Recruiting

Hambone

He just wasn't that good when he got here. The rave reviews that are out there for Bartels and Mollberg were not there for Comes and Demler

I was watching Bartels highlights from high school today and the one negative thing I noticed about him was that he appeared to throw the ball really high. The kid looks like he can throw it deep but it just seemed like he threw it way too high.

I was watching Bartels highlights from high school today and the one negative thing I noticed about him was that he appeared to throw the ball really high. The kid looks like he can throw it deep but it just seemed like he threw it way too high.

That's more of a high school thing. One is that the camera is lower in the stands and make the trajectory appear more steep and also the dbs are slower so you can actually lob the ball more and get away with it.

I hear a lot on Mollberg and Bartels, but not much is ever said about Jake Hanson. I work with his cousin so that was how I knew he was still on the team. Could he rival the other two for the starting job?

Don't think so. We recruited a kid from mandan in the same class who is being groomed as a DB who was also a little better QB than Hanson.

Yeah, don't quit posting, you bring a good perspective.

In regards to the above, it brings up an interesting debate, can an Athletic department our size fully support the level of excellence demanded of hockey, basketball, and football? From a recruiting perspective, do football recruits think of UND as a "hockey" school since that reputation obviously should precede itself?

If the answer to this question is no, we shouldn't have moved up in the first place. We could have joined the NSIC and kept winning at the Division II level on a shoestring budget. But we didn't, so we better not take the frugal-prudent-close to the vest approach and settle for middle of the pack teams in our Big Sky sports. This was an issue discussed on ss.com (and in other communication mediums) when we were talking about moving up and I hope that the athletic department took into account the financial costs of being a winner at the Division I level.

Adams was apparently debating over NDSU or UND. Stockwell had offers from UND, NDSU and Montana State. He also had a walkon offer with the Gophers. This was a great day for recruiting. Of course it is always nice to have 2 recruits in the same day chose UND over NDSU. Keep it up. It sure looks like it is going to be an exciting class. Hopefully we can land some more defensive stars.

Adams was apparently debating over NDSU or UND. Stockwell had offers from UND, NDSU and Montana State. He also had a walkon offer with the Gophers. This was a great day for recruiting. Of course it is always nice to have 2 recruits in the same day chose UND over NDSU. Keep it up. It sure looks like it is going to be an exciting class. Hopefully we can land some more defensive stars.

This can't be true. Nobody has ever chosen UND over SU. It just doesn't happen.
  • Upvote 2

This class appears to really be taking shape. With the 4 recruiting weekends in January hopefully the coaching staff can continue to get their targets and we get some kids who may be able to contribute immediately next season. There is some opportunity for playing time on the defensive side of the football.

Welcome to UND to both AJ and Dustin.

• Upvote 2

Are these guys (Adams, and Stockwell) balanced OL or are they more pass blocking or run blocking? I would think we need more run blocking OL. If we have a mobile QB (Hendrickson type) then we can go for a more run blocking line but if our QB is not quite mobile (Hanson type) then we need balanced-pass blocking line. I am unsure if Bartels and Mollberg are the mobile types or not.

Are these guys (Adams, and Stockwell) balanced OL or are they more pass blocking or run blocking? I would think we need more run blocking OL. If we have a mobile QB (Hendrickson type) then we can go for a more run blocking line but if our QB is not quite mobile (Hanson type) then we need balanced-pass blocking line. I am unsure if Bartels and Mollberg are the mobile types or not.

I'd have to assume they'll be much more mobile than an injured Hanson, but it'd be pretty incredible if they're as quick as Hendrickson.