SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Hockey Scores and Updates (Non-Sioux)

brianvf

That is to bad about Troy Juting. I thought he was one of those characters of hockey. I suppose they needed a change but best of like to you Troy.

I thought he was a good coach that was in a tough situation.

Correct. Jutting is out

Source told me Jutting contract has not been renewed.

I assume the assistants are out too, not good news one of them was from my hometown and I grew up watching him play high school and college hockey and know him pretty well, great guy and coach.

I thought they would keep him since his kid will be on the team. What really sucks is that Mankato had some very good young kids. Top 2 leading scorers this year were freshmen and they have a solid recruiting class coming in as well. Doesn't seem fair that they're finally getting some better players and the coach recruiting them is gone. Oh well.

I haven't heard any rumors regarding replacements yet. I'd have to assume Guentzel isn't even in the question haha. Lucia needs him, this year proved it.

I assume the assistants are out too, not good news one of them was from my hometown and I grew up watching him play high school and college hockey and know him pretty well, great guy and coach.

One of his assistants is Darren Blue who is from East Grand Forks, MN.

I thought they would keep him since his kid will be on the team. What really sucks is that Mankato had some very good young kids. Top 2 leading scorers this year were freshmen and they have a solid recruiting class coming in as well. Doesn't seem fair that they're finally getting some better players and the coach recruiting them is gone. Oh well.

I haven't heard any rumors regarding replacements yet. I'd have to assume Guentzel isn't even in the question haha. Lucia needs him, this year proved it.

Guentzel has to feel he's been a major contributor to the changes that have taken place in Dinkytown, regardless of the outcome next weekend. It took going away and coming back to prove that. Will Lucia let his buddy go?

Guentzel has to feel he's been a major contributor to the changes that have taken place in Dinkytown, regardless of the outcome next weekend. It took going away and coming back to prove that. Will Lucia let his buddy go?

I doubt it. Not positive on this, but I think Guentzel might actually make more money than the head coaching position at Mankato pays.

Let the speculation begin... Guentzel? Eades? Steve Johnson? Will the pool of applicants be smaller because of the "new" leagues?

Among the locals, I think there was some frustration with not making the NCAA (1 in 13 years) or even the WCHA Final Five for several years. Jutting was Don Brose's handpicked choice a decade ago, and one could reasonably conclude he's had a chance to make it work.

I think MSU Mankato has a number of advantages going forward, including an easy commute from the hockey suburbs on the south side of the Twin Cities. Your kid can get more quality ice time and you can be home by midnight on game nights.

They certainly have had a string of high quality players come through there in the past years, but the lack of development of the rest of the roster was apparent ... David Backes, Grant Stephenson, Shane Joseph, Ryan Carter, Travis Morin and the top guys couldn't carry the load alone.

As to replacement coaches, Guentzel and Johnson are good guesses. I don't see Eades making that move, but I could be wrong.

My money would be on Eric Means. Was assistant to Jutting, now the women's head coach.

Among the locals, I think there was some frustration with not making the NCAA (1 in 13 years) or even the WCHA Final Five for several years. Jutting was Don Brose's handpicked choice a decade ago, and one could reasonably conclude he's had a chance to make it work.

I think MSU Mankato has a number of advantages going forward, including an easy commute from the hockey suburbs on the south side of the Twin Cities. Your kid can get more quality ice time and you can be home by midnight on game nights.

They certainly have had a string of high quality players come through there in the past years, but the lack of development of the rest of the roster was apparent ... David Backes, Grant Stephenson, Shane Joseph, Ryan Carter, Travis Morin and the top guys couldn't carry the load alone.

As to replacement coaches, Guentzel and Johnson are good guesses. I don't see Eades making that move, but I could be wrong.

My money would be on Eric Means. Was assistant to Jutting, now the women's head coach.

I would be shocked if it were Eric Means. The comments I was hearing from long time season ticket holders this year would fly in the face of that happening. The women's team isn't that good and he is from the old regime. The argument for bringing him in as men's coach would be a tough one to make to fans when he's an old assistant coach. People want a change, not more of the same.

Jutting is a good guy, but has had a long time to make this program into something more. It just hasn't happened and the fan base is apathetic and staying the same would have been worse. In two seasons the attendance figures have gone down 25%-30% and it was translating into lots of real dollars being lost.

There is a very good pool of candidates for my school to choose from right now. Guentzel, Eades, Rohlik among others are all guys that are going to be looking to make a jump sooner than later. I would guess that the allure of being in the power position is going to be enticing for all of them. I know it's going to a "lesser" school, but still going to be worth it to be the man rather than reporting to the man.

Let the speculation begin... Guentzel? Eades? Steve Johnson? Will the pool of applicants be smaller because of the "new" leagues?

Steve Johnson I would guess. As someone said before about head coaching experiance and Steve is the only one with a lot of it of these 3.

The big difference for the Gophers this year was the play of the defense. Replacing Hill with Guentzel made the difference. He has to be the front runner. Even if it it a third rate conference.

I think Eades could be a candidate, depending on whether or not he wants to move to a HC position. Other teams seems to love UND assistants and it worked well for Duluth.

The big difference for the Gophers this year was the play of the defense. Replacing Hill with Guentzel made the difference. He has to be the front runner. Even if it it a third rate conference.

He would make a great head coach but I wonder if he wants to change positions again. In the last four years he has coached at CC, UNO, USHL, and now the Gophers again. And I think the Gopher job is his when Lucia leaves. I just don't see him leaving the U again be we'll see.

He would make a great head coach but I wonder if he wants to change positions again. In the last four years he has coached at CC, UNO, USHL, and now the Gophers again. And I think the Gopher job is his when Lucia leaves. I just don't see him leaving the U again be we'll see.

The ironic part is that by coming back and helping make the gophers relevant again, he is enabling Lucia to stick around as well. I am sure the current administration understands his impact in the turnaround, but who knows how long Lucia sticks around. He kind of seems like he would be content like Red Berenson to be there until his welcome is worn out. Speaking of Berenson, do you think he will ever wear out his welcome at Michigan, or is he the Joe Paterno of college hockey minus the scandal?

Guentzel would make a great head coach. Actually I would like to see Guetnzel get the job and then watch the Gophers implode without him.

The ironic part is that by coming back and helping make the gophers relevant again, he is enabling Lucia to stick around as well. I am sure the current administration understands his impact in the turnaround, but who knows how long Lucia sticks around. He kind of seems like he would be content like Red Berenson to be there until his welcome is worn out. Speaking of Berenson, do you think he will ever wear out his welcome at Michigan, or is he the Joe Paterno of college hockey minus the scandal?

There's been a lot of talk that Lucia is considering stepping down soon and that the HC job would be Guentzel's. Lucia said he wanted to end on top. Doubt he would leave after this year but I've heard some rumblings (Which as we know, may or may not be true) that he wants to be done in 5 years MAX.

There's been a lot of talk that Lucia is considering stepping down soon and that the HC job would be Guentzel's. Lucia said he wanted to end on top. Doubt he would leave after this year but I've heard some rumblings (Which as we know, may or may not be true) that he wants to be done in 5 years MAX.

And 5 years of a successful run at Mankato would be the piece of the resume currently missing. If he moves to Eden Prairie he could commute to work.

The only way he will go out on top is if he keeps Guentzel around.

Whoever takes over at Mankato will insist that they dump the soccer song as a condition of acceptance. That's before they talk money and health insurance.

The fact that it pisses so many people off is the best reason for us to keep it. :)