SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Hockey Scores and Updates (Non-Sioux)

brianvf

Here is the breakdown, brought to you by the Minnesota rule.

I've seen a couple of people make mention to this in the last couple of days. The Minnesota rule only changes the normal order of the games when the gophers aren't the number 1 seed. But that won't be in play this year as Minnesota is the 1 seed and will be playing the night game as the 1 seed normally does.

I've seen a couple of people make mention to this in the last couple of days. The Minnesota rule only changes the normal order of the games when the gophers aren't the number 1 seed. But that won't be in play this year as Minnesota is the 1 seed and will be playing the night game as the 1 seed normally does.

The number one seed normally does if the gophers aren't at the final five. :whistling:

Not that it matters, but you would think it would be a bigger advantage for the #1 seed to play the early game on Friday. Assuming they win, they would have a longer recovery time then playing the night game.

Not that it matters, but you would think it would be a bigger advantage for the #1 seed to play the early game on Friday. Assuming they win, they would have a longer recovery time then playing the night game.

A while back UND was the #1 seed with the Parise-Bochenski-Murray line in top form and Anchorage had to play the next day at 2PM after beating CC. Anchorage was playing exceptional hockey, but there was no way they could recover to beat a rested UND team. I felt bad for them, as the Sioux and Anchorage should have been playing at 7pm that day.

I think it was the year before that Duluth beat the Sioux in the play in game and then got to play #1 seeded CC the next afternoon. They put up a fight, but lost in OT.

In the history of the final five, I don't believe a team has won a game on Thursday night and won on Friday afternoon. Some teams have come close, but its just a monumental task.

I've always thought so too. And now thinking back to the basketball tournaments this wknd, the 1 seeds generally did play in the afternoon. However, they sure didn't follow that format last year with UND playing the night game as a 1 seed.

We won the play in game and went on to win the final five two years ago.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe we played the Thurs night game, then the Fri night game that year. So we didn't have to play the Thurs night game and then follow that up with a game on Fri afternoon.

We won the play in game and went on to win the final five two years ago.

Luckily the Sioux didn't have to play the afternoon game on Friday against Denver, they played on Friday night. Same thing with Duluth the year before when they won all three.

In 2009, when the WCHA was still 10 teams, UMD played on Thursday and won the tournament.

And in 2010, the Sioux did the same thing (as already posted).

Yes, but they didn't play on Friday afternoon. They both played Friday night, making the task a bit easier IMHO.