SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

I can see an  8 week regular season, in September and October, Conference championships weekend of Halloween and then an 8 team playoff using the Big 6 Bowls.  Quarterfinals Nov. 6-7 (one game Friday night and then Noon, 4 and 8 ET on Saturday), Semis on Nov 14 and FBS title on Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend.  FCS could do the same but still have 16 team team playoff starting the week of FBS Conference championships.  Still get a season in before flu season really kicks off.  In all honesty it’s better for student athletes as well, although that is rarely a deciding factor for any decisions.

What if:. the FCS season moves to spring?

Most of FCS would probably go for it.  They'd be more likihood that FCS actually gets a big TV contract.  Schools that would not have it: The Montana's, SDSU, Weber St, and they work have to stay fall.  The MVFC would be much more local climate dependent.  Should UND go east or west.?

Just now, SiouxVolley said:

Akron, for financial and other reasons, needs to move down to DII.  But yet is contracts with FBS schools yield millions, as with Auburn fb and Ohio St fb or with the MAC.

https://www.beaconjournal.com/sports/20200711/university-of-akron-suggested-change-in-division-status-could-prove-expensive-proposition?rssfeed=true

44 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

So the Summit has added a new baseball program for the 2021-22 season

https://thesummitleague.org/news/2020/7/14/northern-colorado-to-join-the-summit-league-as-a-baseball-affiliate.aspx

So now they will have 6 teams and a transition St. Thomas next year for 7. 

Should have happened in 2013.....Douple really screwed that one up.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Hammersmith said:

St Thomas waiver approved.

https://news.stthomas.edu/july-15-2020-press-release/

Summit, Pioneer(FB), WCHA(WIH) all lined up. Men's hockey TBD.

This is really great news for St Thomas, the Summit League, and sports in the Twin Cities, the State of Minnesota and the Upper Midwest.

Minnesota has needed another DI school for decades.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

This is really great news for St Thomas, the Summit League, and sports in the Twin Cities, the State of Minnesota and the Upper Midwest.

Minnesota has needed another DI school for decades.

Dollars to doughnuts that Mankato's next.

1 hour ago, Shawn-O said:

They will steamroll through the entire PFL in year one, with the exception of San Diego.   

I think you're overestimating the MIAC.

IMO, UST is likely to have a tough time in in the PFL for a while. 

On 7/14/2020 at 12:07 PM, SWSiouxMN said:

So the Summit has added a new baseball program for the 2021-22 season

https://thesummitleague.org/news/2020/7/14/northern-colorado-to-join-the-summit-league-as-a-baseball-affiliate.aspx

So now they will have 6 teams and a transition St. Thomas next year for 7. 

Posted August 6, 2019

On 10/31/2017 at 12:45 PM, BisonCardinal said:

I think UMKC coming back is realistic.  UNO, I don't see going anywhere with Denver and UND as Summit members.  Fort Wayne will probably go to Horizon.  I also think WIU stays put.

So now the Summit puts full court press on U of Northern Colorado.  I'm really not too concerned with baseball compliance as the Summit just coming up with a "plan" will satisfy the NCAA for a couple years, but getting UNC would also help with Summit football, if that happens.

Although SV's DMI conference has its merits, I just don't see it happening primarily because of non-revenue sports.  Hard to justify flying all those sports west, when busing south is a lot cheaper.

UMKC - coming back - check

UNO - staying put - check

Fort Wayne - leaving - check

WIU - staying put - check

UNC - ????

SV's take that the Summit is in crisis because of baseball is an exaggeration.  The NCAA does not give a crap about the smaller leagues like the Summit, Big Sky and Horizon.  All the Summit has to do is present a plan for a couple years here and then another one a couple years later of getting back to the proper number and the NCAA says whatever.  Kind of like the attendance requirement.

Nailed it.  St Thomas having baseball is a bonus.  We will be lucky to have St Thomas in the Summit for very long.  I see them emphasizing basketball to move them into becoming a Big East candidate.  That conference would crave a MSP presence.  I really don't see them pushing football very hard.  They will be content in the Pioneer like other basketball schools like Butler, Drake and Valpo.  A suitable basketball facility already exists or can be built for 25% of a new football facility.

I am doing some thinking on the MVFC and Summit football situation.  For some reason I think that football will break along the lines of those that can consistently put 10,000 butts in the seats and those that can't.  I see the MVFC as the conference that will be able to stack teams in the 75 scholarship level with teams like NDSU, SDSU, UND, USD, UNI,  and Ill State, while the Summit will sponsor less than 75 scollies with teams like Ind. State, WIU, SIU, etc.

Honestly, I don't see much happening until Viverito retires.  I don't see her pushing for a new division or conference in her waning years.

3 hours ago, BisonCardinal said:
Posted August 6, 2019

UMKC - coming back - check

UNO - staying put - check

Fort Wayne - leaving - check

WIU - staying put - check

UNC - ????

SV's take that the Summit is in crisis because of baseball is an exaggeration.  The NCAA does not give a crap about the smaller leagues like the Summit, Big Sky and Horizon.  All the Summit has to do is present a plan for a couple years here and then another one a couple years later of getting back to the proper number and the NCAA says whatever.  Kind of like the attendance requirement.

Nailed it.  St Thomas having baseball is a bonus.  We will be lucky to have St Thomas in the Summit for very long.  I see them emphasizing basketball to move them into becoming a Big East candidate.  That conference would crave a MSP presence.  I really don't see them pushing football very hard.  They will be content in the Pioneer like other basketball schools like Butler, Drake and Valpo.  A suitable basketball facility already exists or can be built for 25% of a new football facility.

I am doing some thinking on the MVFC and Summit football situation.  For some reason I think that football will break along the lines of those that can consistently put 10,000 butts in the seats and those that can't.  I see the MVFC as the conference that will be able to stack teams in the 75 scholarship level with teams like NDSU, SDSU, UND, USD, UNI,  and Ill State, while the Summit will sponsor less than 75 scollies with teams like Ind. State, WIU, SIU, etc.

Honestly, I don't see much happening until Viverito retires.  I don't see her pushing for a new division or conference in her waning years.

On UST: I certainly hope that they can stay longer than the transition before going to greener pastures.   Now with them being a transitioning member, are they allowed to play in the tournament in Sioux Falls if they qualify?

ON UNC:  I'm sure the people on the Griz boards would be thrilled in they left.  (I'd take them over Augie)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...