SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

3 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

So am I, and a short drive to go and watch when UND comes down (or in your case, NDSU). 

Absolutely, agree - having them in the Cities will be a lot of fun.  In addition, it will be interesting to see what the Tommie's emphasize for sports:  Basketball, Football or Hockey?

11 minutes ago, FSSD said:

Absolutely, agree - having them in the Cities will be a lot of fun.  In addition, it will be interesting to see what the Tommie's emphasize for sports:  Basketball, Football or Hockey?

My guess is the winter sports will be more an emphasis. 

On 6/12/2020 at 7:58 AM, Siouxphan27 said:

This writer has no information from the schools and no idea of what’s needed to go FBS. He just picked teams that have been pretty good in FCS. 

The writer is thinking one-dimensionally --> football. 

As some are prone to say here, college presidents pick conference members, and they use far more than the football criteria. 

2 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Both. I think they could pull it off on both.  However, if I had to choose one:  basketball

Basketball has, by far, the most potential. 3+ million people in the metro, 5.5+ million in the state and only one other DI Basketball team. Plus, a potential crosstown rivalry with the Gophers.

The next 10 years will be interesting. 

• Like 2

Most of the MEAC football is either gone or talking to another league, as Delaware St is talking to the NEC. which RMU just left

The poorest endowed schools like Md-Eastern Shore, Coppin St, and  Morgan St are left, but they don't have football.  The one wealthy school, Howard, with almost a billion in endowment, can maybe forms it's own FBS league with the CAA.

The ASun attempted to get it's own FBS or FCS league but that fell through when it never announced the eight more required teams and NJIT left for America East.  The ball is in the MEACs or CAA's court.  Chicago St may team up with the Maryland MEACs to stay alive.

On 6/18/2020 at 2:21 PM, FSSD said:

I don't think the Tommies are going to go non scholarship for long..   St. Thomas is a football school and they have deep pocket donors and they have this facility just down the road available on Saturdays.

https://www.krausanderson.com/construction/portfolio/twin-cities-orthopedics-performance-center-minnesota-vikings-headquarters-and-practice-facility/

When somebody floated UND going non-scholarship in FB during our transition, I basically said we are better off without FB than settling for non-scholarship FB. I suspect St. Thomas may do the same thing.

3 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

When somebody floated UND going non-scholarship in FB during our transition, I basically said we are better off without FB than settling for non-scholarship FB. I suspect St. Thomas may do the same thing.

"Academic scholarships"

I see them as a program similar to San Diego in the near term with the potential to join the valley any time after their transition.  However, if I was their AD, I'd be interested in staying in the Pioneer if St. Johns would sill be willing to schedule an annual game, although that would be a big if, but it is a non-scholly league so that could still be a possibility.

On 6/19/2020 at 6:24 PM, Gothmog said:

Basketball has, by far, the most potential. 3+ million people in the metro, 5.5+ million in the state and only one other DI Basketball team. Plus, a potential crosstown rivalry with the Gophers.

The next 10 years will be interesting. 

Hockey could be the easiest to show parity with the Gophers.

On 6/19/2020 at 3:47 PM, SWSiouxMN said:

The Big South wants to get to 12 teams and then split, so six would go to the ASun and then have six with the Big South and 2 AQ's.   The MEAC would likely be nonfb.

The ASun FB league:

Kennesaw St

UNA

NCAT

Jacksonville St - to be added

Howard - to be added

E Kentucky - to be added

This whole league could advance to FBS down the road if it got JMU, Delaware and Stony Brook.

Rumors that the Big 12 will expand by 4 schools:

10). Ciccinnati - helps cement WVU

11). Memphis - helps center the conference

12) Houston - helps protect the conference

13). BYU - gives it a western edge

Boise St might be 14

The AAC looses three but takes Rice from CUSA

8 hours ago, southpaw said:

Second time I've seen this posted somewhere, but I must be missing something. Is it just because of the Nebraska game? 

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

I assumed it's because it's outdoors, but I dunno.

Correct, due to the weather, it would be much less than ideal for SDSU and their outdoor stadium.