SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

14 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

June could be too late for the Summit as the Summit must do things before adding or it might delay UST one years.  A nonDI team must be offered by June 1.

The Summit League has already accepted St Thomas contingent on the waiver approval.

There are extenuating circumstances which would allow them to move up for 2021.

The corona virus may force major expansion of CFP for more money.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/why-the-fiscal-fallout-from-covid-19-will-lead-to-college-football-playoff-expansion-160851276.html

U of Cincy has also dropped men's soccer and as a result there is a major wave asking the NCAA for two years of non-compliance with scholarship limits and reduced conference teams for an autobid.

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 4:07 PM, SiouxVolley said:

The corona virus may force major expansion of CFP for more money.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/why-the-fiscal-fallout-from-covid-19-will-lead-to-college-football-playoff-expansion-160851276.html

U of Cincy has also dropped men's soccer and as a result there is a major wave asking the NCAA for two years of non-compliance with scholarship limits and reduced conference teams for an autobid.

The one silver lining from all of this.  They are talking about starting the college Football season in February, so why not have an expanded playoff system!!  Not like weather will be a problem.  Longer the playoffs go, the warmer it gets!!  Playoffs  will be in April and May!! Do it!!

On 3/13/2020 at 12:15 AM, Herd said:

Is the one bid MVC a promotion?  Not much of a promotion if you ask me.

That's a promotion and a pretty solid one at that.

3 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article242028056.html

Wichita State is razing their old FB stadium.  Still think it wants FBS because it is financing a 200 piece marching band that would not work for all their other sports.

Making plans for a band before making an announcement about football...talk about putting the cart before the horse lmao.

2 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

That's a promotion and a pretty solid one at that.

Making plans for a band before making an announcement about football...talk about putting the cart before the horse lmao.

The same logic was horse !@#$ to your other bison dillusionists on this thread.  A 200 member band was going to be dynamite for the bball court, if they can even move to the court in 15 minutes without hogging all the good seats

1 minute ago, SiouxVolley said:

The same logic was horse !@#$ to your other bison dillusionists on this thread.  A 200 member band was going to be dynamite for the bball court, if they can even move to the court in 15 minutes without hogging all the good seats

Not much of an FBS stadium if they are replacing that stadium with a smaller one. 

56 minutes ago, zonadub said:

according to college sports info.com, Augie made an official application to the Summit on March 8. Why hasn’t any other media outlet reported this? 

http://collegesportsinfo.com/2020/03/09/ncaa-conference-realignment-rumblings/

Douple seemed more annoyed with the Augie talk during the Summit Tourney in Sioux Falls based on some conversations on the Bunny Board.

I tried to eavesdrop as much as possible when I was down at the Summit Tourney when I was in a SDSU or USD section of fans and pick up on anything about Augie joining.  I heard more talk about the SoDak 16 that Augie joining.  

Not saying it wasn't a topic of conversation, but based on my finding, it wasn't a big topic down there. 

If any of our Jack and Yote visitors on this board who went to Sioux Falls would care to chime in on this, perhaps they could give a better idea as well. 

3 hours ago, zonadub said:

according to college sports info.com, Augie made an official application to the Summit on March 8. Why hasn’t any other media outlet reported this? 

http://collegesportsinfo.com/2020/03/09/ncaa-conference-realignment-rumblings/

Pretty sure it has been. I remember reading stories about Augie formally applying. Feels like a year ago, but that's just because of COVID making time feel weird. However those stories had a very different feel because those reporters actually talked to some of the players and got a negative vibe from the Summit over Augie's chances. 

I think Augie's formal application was included in stories from the Argus and Forum in late Feb or early March, but the headlines were about Augie having an uphill battle to fight to convince the Summit presidents to accept them. I don't have subscriptions to either so I can't confirm, but I'm sure links to the stories are further up in this thread.

edit: Yep, there's a link a couple pages back to a Forum story published March 6. I know the Argus published a story that day or the day before.

4 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

15k is all they need, not an old pit with no shade.

You are using the highest number in the estimated range of 12-15K. Even using that potentially inflated number, WSU would still have the smallest football stadium in the FBS.

It seems very unlikely that a school with FBS aspirations would tear down a 30K football stadium to build a 12-15K multipurpose stadium. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2020 at 8:17 PM, SiouxVolley said:

As I'm writing this on the morning of the 11th, the news hasn't been released yet, but I'm at about 90% certain all it is is that they signed a deal with Under Armor. All the certainty came from the initial tweet several days ago(and I'm not the first to guess UA by a long shot). The text of the teaser video was the following:

PROTECT THIS
WE WILL
I WILL
THE ONLY WAY
A NEW BEGINNING
COMING SOON
5/11/20

Protect=Armor. "I Will" is Under Armor's company motto. "The Only Way Is Through" is a phrase from UA's 2020 ad campaign. Seems pretty conclusive to me, but we'll see in a few hours.

10 hours ago, Hammersmith said:

Got my guess in just in time. Official tweet dropped at 10:30am CST confirming it's a deal with Under Armor.

An Under Armour deal has got to mean a FBS move , Right??????

3 hours ago, bison73 said:

An Under Armour deal has got to mean a FBS move , Right??????

35 FCS schools with UA. 22 FBS. 

Most importantly, one of the schools is LIU, which just launched hockey. There must be an announcement about UTRGV hockey coming by that June 1 deadline.