SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

On 6/12/2020 at 5:55 PM, bison73 said:

ARMwYsh.jpg

The writer has a below IQ Level much as you do.

So NDSU is building state of the art indoor practice faciiities practice with no intention of moving up?  This is their chance to leave UND in the dust permanently.  This ismost NDSU fans dream.  You don't have much aspirations do you? 

3 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

The writer has a below IQ Level much as you do.

So NDSU is building state of the art indoor practice faciiities practice with no intention of moving up?  This is their chance to leave UND in the dust permanently.  This ismost NDSU fans dream.  You don't have much aspirations do you? 

mFKsfEd.jpg

Ther are rumors about Youngstown St and Wright St dropping down a level or becoming branch campuses.  Youngstown St becoming a branch of Akron U, and Wright St becoming a branch of Miami U.  Akron has already dropped the number of its majors and colleges.  If both those happen, the Horizon drops to the ten schools.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/division-i-council-proposes-pathway-diii-schools-become-di-members

Key Paragraph:

While this legislation is under consideration, the Council indicated it would be receptive to a formal waiver request from Division III St. Thomas (Minnesota) and the Summit League that would allow the school to begin the reclassification process.

15 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

https://tommiesports.com/general/2019-20/releases/20200617u216oc

I guess the only good thing is that they didn't say: No. 

No, they basically said UST is in. The committee decided that a formal process(which needs to be written up and voted on) is better than dealing with waivers on a case by case basis. However, they don't want UST to have to wait for all that since they were the one that started all this, so they'll approve a waiver in this case as soon as it's submitted. IOW, "send something in so we can rubber stamp it, then go ahead and use the DII to DI process." It's basically the best news UST could have hoped for.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Hammersmith said:

No, they basically said UST is in. The committee decided that a formal process(which needs to be written up and voted on) is better than dealing with waivers on a case by case basis. However, they don't want UST to have to wait for all that since they were the one that started all this, so they'll approve a waiver in this case as soon as it's submitted. IOW, "send something in so we can rubber stamp it, then go ahead and use the DII to DI process." It's basically the best news UST could have hoped for.

It just would have been nice that they could have said yes right now and still develop that process.

Still, I love hearing that it should happen... lets hope very soon. 

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

It just would have been nice that they could have said yes right now and still develop that process.

Still, I love hearing that it should happen... lets hope very soon. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the waiver will be handled by a different committee or department. The one that just met is concerned with bigger picture things, while the department that grants the waiver will be one that looks at nuts and bolts. But that's just a guess.

3 hours ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

Pioneer football for a few years then mvfc?

If that is the case, watch for St Thomas to move all the rest of their sports to the MVC too

There would be enough schools for a Summit Football league, but doubt that will happen

5 hours ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

Pioneer football for a few years then mvfc?

Doubtful in the near to mid term; anything is possible in the long term(10 years+). Too many costs to jump into scholarship football this decade. They have to likely double or more the personnel in their athletic dept, big increase in travel costs, adding scholarships to all the other sports, they have to build several new facilities, and they have to commit to and achieve good hockey before they can think about going scholarship in football. If their donors really open their pockets, maybe start talking about scholarship football in about 10 years. If they don't, then the Pioneer indefinitely. 

17 hours ago, FSSD said:

I don't think the Tommies are going to go non scholarship for long..   St. Thomas is a football school and they have deep pocket donors and they have this facility just down the road available on Saturdays.

https://www.krausanderson.com/construction/portfolio/twin-cities-orthopedics-performance-center-minnesota-vikings-headquarters-and-practice-facility/

Allianz field is closer, bigger and nicer. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FSSD said:

I completely agree. 

Option 1) Allianz field - But I am not sure they will let 6 football games to be played on the pitch?

2)  TCO - Egan

3)  CHS Field in St. Paul

I suppose talking about stadiums is premature at this point. In any case, a semi-annual game at any of those stadiums, or an on-campus stadium, would be great fun. 

Summit League and MVFC teams don't get enough coverage here in MSP.  St Thomas joining the league should greatly enhance the Summit's presence in the metro area.  I'm looking forward to it. 

4 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

I suppose talking about stadiums is premature at this point. In any case, a semi-annual game at any of those stadiums, or an on-campus stadium, would be great fun. 

Summit League and MVFC teams don't get enough coverage here in MSP.  St Thomas joining the league should greatly enhance the Summit's presence in the metro area.  I'm looking forward to it. 

So am I, and a short drive to go and watch when UND comes down (or in your case, NDSU).