SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

7 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Sorry was on my phone.  This is the video posted on the CSNBBS thread where the story broke - the Tarleton State President says that a new member was just voted into the WAC during his state of the university address.

what makes you think its a BSC member...some/lots think its some alphabet school in middle of texas

7 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

what makes you think its a BSC member...some/lots think its some alphabet school in middle of texas

See my post above - I think we posted at the same time.  The reddit guy now has an article on his blog, but it's behind a pay wall.  https://extrapoints.substack.com/

This is his bio found on his blog: "My name is Matt Brown. I used to oversee SB Nation’s college team sites, and regularly contribute to SBNation.com’s college football coverage. Before that, I helped run their Ohio State brand, Land-Grant Holy Land. I also wrote a book on great college football What If questions. I live in Chicago. Nice to meet you!"

He seems legit.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

so BSC is setting itself up for a nice 14 (7 east/ 7 west) team all sports conference with the soon to be announce invites to UND, NDSU, USD, and SDSU....(too soon)?

Nothing wrong with speculating. 

If it is SUU (or any other BSC school), what happens with their football program?
Doubt BSC will let them stay (nice even number of 12 teams without them).

Will they drop football?
Will they go independent?
Will the WAC restart a football conference? (SUU would be the 4th football team - NMSU [FBS], Tarleton and Dixie [FCS] are currently independent). Obviously that would mean they have to find at least a couple more teams, and NMSU will fight dropping to FCS.

I think it is becoming pretty obvious that WAC football is going to happen.  Why would a conference pickup 3 football playing schools (Dixie State, Tarleton and SUU), if it weren't going to sponsor it?   Plus WAC member Utah Valley is starting football with UTRGV seriously considering it.

The question becomes what division will they play in?  I am guessing FCS.  With the D2 move ups and a mediocre team like SUU, I don't see how they can pull off an FBS move.  NMSU is going to have to decide if they want to stay FBS independent or be a strong contender in a decent FCS conference.  I predict NMSU will drop down to FCS and play in the WAC conference.

I also predict that NAU will follow SUU into the WAC.

So the Big Sky will consist of: EWU, Idaho, Idaho State, Montana, Montana State, Portland State, Sac State, UNC and Weber State with UCD and Cal Poly as football affilates.

The WAC would look like this with 7 football playing schools:  Dixie State, Utah Valley, SUU, NMSU, NAU, UTRGV and Tarleton State.  The WAC also has the non-football schools of Cal Baptist, Grand Canyon and Seattle, so there would be 10 members total.  Chicago State is out there but I anticipate them ceasing to exist or dropping sports totally in the next couple years.  There are rumblings of West Texas A & M wanting to make a move.  They look like they would fit nicely into the WAC.

I had thought UNC would be a candidate for the WAC but am thinking they will stay in the Big Sky.  Considering they just signed their baseball program, which the WAC sponsors, into the Summit makes me think they are not considering the WAC.  Besides the Big Sky kind of needs them and Weber State for the numbers.

On 10/2/2020 at 11:27 AM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

haha  haha hahhhaahhha (ed mcmahon voice offscreen)

All jokes aside.  

It just amazes me how the WAC has managed to stay alive as a conference.  I thought they would have been done many times over in these past few years. 

3 hours ago, BisonCardinal said:

I think it is becoming pretty obvious that WAC football is going to happen.  Why would a conference pickup 3 football playing schools (Dixie State, Tarleton and SUU), if it weren't going to sponsor it?   Plus WAC member Utah Valley is starting football with UTRGV seriously considering it.

The question becomes what division will they play in?  I am guessing FCS.  With the D2 move ups and a mediocre team like SUU, I don't see how they can pull off an FBS move.  NMSU is going to have to decide if they want to stay FBS independent or be a strong contender in a decent FCS conference.  I predict NMSU will drop down to FCS and play in the WAC conference.

I also predict that NAU will follow SUU into the WAC.

So the Big Sky will consist of: EWU, Idaho, Idaho State, Montana, Montana State, Portland State, Sac State, UNC and Weber State with UCD and Cal Poly as football affilates.

The WAC would look like this with 7 football playing schools:  Dixie State, Utah Valley, SUU, NMSU, NAU, UTRGV and Tarleton State.  The WAC also has the non-football schools of Cal Baptist, Grand Canyon and Seattle, so there would be 10 members total.  Chicago State is out there but I anticipate them ceasing to exist or dropping sports totally in the next couple years.  There are rumblings of West Texas A & M wanting to make a move.  They look like they would fit nicely into the WAC.

I had thought UNC would be a candidate for the WAC but am thinking they will stay in the Big Sky.  Considering they just signed their baseball program, which the WAC sponsors, into the Summit makes me think they are not considering the WAC.  Besides the Big Sky kind of needs them and Weber State for the numbers.

Since 2020 has lasted forever, I must have missed this.  When did Utah Valley say they were starting FB?

8 hours ago, BisonCardinal said:

SW, good catch on Utah Valley football.  That press release I was looking at is dated 2014 and none of the links worked.  Kind of Babylon Bee-ish. Sorry

I wonder if there any follow up to that and if they are still thinking about it. 

Nevertheless, the main part of your post was sound.  The WAC appears to have a plan. 

On 10/3/2020 at 10:26 PM, SWSiouxMN said:

I wonder if there any follow up to that and if they are still thinking about it. 

Nevertheless, the main part of your post was sound.  The WAC appears to have a plan. 

the wac's plan seems to be strength in numbers