SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

All this talk about FBS yet there is clearly no money  

UND is paying 4.5 mill for hockey.  If the figures provided are correct there is about 22 million left for other sports.  NDSU is spending just under 27 mill on those other sports already, One entire hockey teams annual budget is available above and beyond what UND has available after hockey gets its share..  

It doesn’t matter what NDSU does or how much money they have or where they get it  because complaining about that doesn’t increase the UND revenues or decrease their expenses. 

UND dropped one entire hockey program and several other sports just to keep afloat in D1.   I guess if UND has the money to go FBS they could use it to reinstate women’s hockey and the other sports.  If they could easily raise the FBS money they could have easily funded women’s hockey etc. I guess if the money were available UND would still have those other sports?

i don’t know if NDSU can afford FBS but they haven’t dropped any sports and their coaching salaries are higher.  It looks like they are closer than any of the Dakota schools.  Also, in the improbable event of a UND FBS invite there will be questions about why they are spending all that money on football and not women’s hockey or baseball or the other dropped sports. 

The Big Sky already broke the budget. The Mountain West or other such expensive pipe dreams are obviously out of reach.   

In the spirit of commraderie along the mud werestling lines maybe the UND football pot dealers association could finance some of the burden?

3 hours ago, Milo said:

UND is paying 4.5 mill for hockey.  If the figures provided are correct there is about 22 million left for other sports.  NDSU is spending just under 27 mill on those other sports already, One entire hockey teams annual budget is available above and beyond what UND has available after hockey gets its share..  

It doesn’t matter what NDSU does or how much money they have or where they get it  because complaining about that doesn’t increase the UND revenues or decrease their expenses. 

UND dropped one entire hockey program and several other sports just to keep afloat in D1.   I guess if UND has the money to go FBS they could use it to reinstate women’s hockey and the other sports.  If they could easily raise the FBS money they could have easily funded women’s hockey etc. I guess if the money were available UND would still have those other sports?

i don’t know if NDSU can afford FBS but they haven’t dropped any sports and their coaching salaries are higher.  It looks like they are closer than any of the Dakota schools.  Also, in the improbable event of a UND FBS invite there will be questions about why they are spending all that money on football and not women’s hockey or baseball or the other dropped sports. 

The Big Sky already broke the budget. The Mountain West or other such expensive pipe dreams are obviously out of reach.   

In the spirit of commraderie along the mud werestling lines maybe the UND football pot dealers association could finance some of the burden?

You are so incompetent when it comes to expenses and revenues, and have so little knowledge concerning number of sports at each school and NCAA FBS requirements, that quite honestly, you’re not worth the amount of time it would take for someone here to explain it all to you. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Milo said:

Haha.  If you are going to make the arguement if NDSU being in a great spot to move up you better study up a bit on requirements.  Until than your posts are pretty funny cause you are actually contradicting what you are trying to argue.

5 hours ago, Milo said:

You assume much. 

The actions were a realignment of priorities as much as anything. What you're witnessing is that WIH is no longer a priority, nor is swimming and diving, or baseball. You assume if money was raised it would've gone for WIH; no, it seems there are other priorities. 

That said, a 21 sport DI department was unsustainable. I have it directly from Phil Harmeson (then acting AD) that he said as much to all the coaches when the DI move was made. UND has realigned to 17 sports. (It would've been 16 had men's golf not been privately saved.) Strangely enough, NDSU has 16 sports*. I'd say UND's department has been re-prioritized and (hate the word) right-sized. 

*Strangely enough, 16 sports is the minimum requirement for FBS; it's 14 for FCS. Why didn't UND go all the way to 14 if it was as bad as some claim?

Here's some interesting data ... straight from UND's NCAA reports. 

2018 (17 sports):
Revenues: $28,656,183
Expenses: $27,455,093

2017 (21 sports): 
Revenues: $28,201,349
Expenses: $26,727,343

UND spent more money on fewer sports in 2018.

I'll say it again: They spent more money. And on fewer sports. That's called "loading up". That's called shifting dollars to priorities. 

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

To date, he has not broken any forum rules. 

So, combine the account with the previously registered JBB from that IP address then. Misrepresentation of one’s allegiance in order to disparage another school, which seems to be the focal point of each of his posts, sure seems to bend those rules. Hopefully we don’t get some appraisal advice within these posts going forward. That’d be like getting advice on communicating with elected officials from “firedennyguy”.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Milo said:

Please stop talking about Division I Men's Hockey as a big money hole. It is not a net money loser. Period.

I hate the UND-REA lease agreement as much as the next guy, but your other points are so off the mark I won't even try to refute them.

24 minutes ago, choyt3 said:

So, combine the account with the previously registered JBB from that IP address then. Misrepresentation of one’s allegiance in order to disparage another school, which seems to be the focal point of each of his posts, sure seems to bend those rules. Hopefully we don’t get some appraisal advice within these posts going forward. That’d be like getting advice on communicating with elected officials from “firedennyguy”.

There is no proof that this is JBB. Unless there is, I don't think you can justify banning him. Posting stupid crap is not necessarily against forum guidelines.

NDSU may or may not move, if they do it will probably be by themselves. They certainly have the pedigree for a move.  Out of the 27 million UND has for athletics maybe some of you state trained accountants can break down the allocation for each sport. Someone posted hockey at 4.5 million: 

• Men’s hockey 4.5 mllion 22.5 million remaining
  • football
  • basketball. 
  • Tennis
  • track field
  • cross country
  • Softball
  • volley ball
  • soccer
  • golf - privately funded due to lack of resources. Does a UND contribute budgeted funds for golf or is it funded by the country club?

total should equal expenses 

dont include

• Women’s hockey - dropped no funding
  • simming diving dropped no funding
  • baseball - dropped no funding
  • any other sports no longer supported
  • expenses for White House visits and other honorary events

Some questions that come to my mind include coaches salaries  you should be at the top of the salary list for FCS if you are primed to move.  What FBS opponents can realistically be expected to play in GF,  The Alerus can’t generate very good guarantee money. How much does UND guarantee now?  checking old Idaho schedules may help.

It looks to me the money is there in about the same sense SV has “proven” the conference affiliation is there.

• Downvote 1

6 hours ago, Milo said:

NDSU may or may not move, if they do it will probably be by themselves. They certainly have the pedigree for a move.  Out of the 27 million UND has for athletics maybe some of you state trained accountants can break down the allocation for each sport. Someone posted hockey at 4.5 million: 

• Men’s hockey 4.5 mllion 22.5 million remaining
  • football
  • basketball. 
  • Tennis
  • track field
  • cross country
  • Softball
  • volley ball
  • soccer
  • golf - privately funded due to lack of resources. Does a UND contribute budgeted funds for golf or is it funded by the country club?

total should equal expenses 

dont include

• Women’s hockey - dropped no funding
  • simming diving dropped no funding
  • baseball - dropped no funding
  • any other sports no longer supported
  • expenses for White House visits and other honorary events

Some questions that come to my mind include coaches salaries  you should be at the top of the salary list for FCS if you are primed to move.  What FBS opponents can realistically be expected to play in GF,  The Alerus can’t generate very good guarantee money. How much does UND guarantee now?  checking old Idaho schedules may help.

It looks to me the money is there in about the same sense SV has “proven” the conference affiliation is there.

I’m not sure how UND expensed the White House visit.   How nice for ndsu to finally be invited as well, I hope they enjoy it. 

Why don’t you produce the same numbers for ndsu so they can be compared.  Also, you do realize revenues are part of the equation, right?   Right???

50 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I’m not sure how UND expensed the White House visit.   How nice for ndsu to finally be invited as well, I hope they enjoy it. 

Why don’t you produce the same numbers for ndsu so they can be compared.  Also, you do realize revenues are part of the equation, right?   Right???

And you do realize that you have millions more in student fees and institutional support.  Right???

Hi siouxfan 27.   Yes there are 27 million claimed by UND in athletic revenues.   The idea is to figure out what is being spent on each sport from that 27 million.  No wonder you are having so much trouble trying to figure this out.

1 hour ago, Milo said:

Hi siouxfan 27.   Yes there are 27 million claimed by UND in athletic revenues.   The idea is to figure out what is being spent on each sport from that 27 million.  No wonder you are having so much trouble trying to figure this out.

No, there’s isn’t Milo.  There is 27 claimed of EXPENSES.   That’s what I responded to.  

If you wanted to talk revenues, perhaps you should’ve quoted the revenues figure.   I agree- it is very difficult to figure out what you are talking about, when you don’t know what you are talking about. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Bison Dan said:

And you do realize that you have millions more in student fees and institutional support.  Right???

Those fees were approved by the students.

Do you realize that your athletic department showed a $857K deficit last year?