SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

6 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

California kids can hardly get into UC-anyplace now, as they are too exclusive.  Boulder and Fort Collin get some California kids, and they are welcome as they pay higher tuition and help the Boulder and Fort Collins numbers.  Their only public alternative for a degree is some Cal States, which have much reduced value depending on the degree.  All of them don’t qualify for AAU reduced tuition in Colorado.

If Northern Col is not looking and trying to get those students, they are incompetent. It only an hour further to ski.

Alabama has more than half its undergrad enrollment from outside the state, like Illinois, Texas and Georgia.  Saban is attracting them to the hellhole of Tuscaloosa, allowing the school to more than double enrollment and prosper.

If Cali students are looking for a place to party and ski in Colorado, they're going to choose UCCS over Greeley in a heartbeat.

Have you even been to Greeley?

And what math are you doing on Alabama? There were already 25,000 people going to Alabama when Saban was hired and there certainly aren't 50,000 there now.

20 minutes ago, southpaw said:

If Cali students are looking for a place to party and ski in Colorado, they're going to choose UCCS over Greeley in a heartbeat.

Have you even been to Greeley?

And what math are you doing on Alabama? There were already 25,000 people going to Alabama when Saban was hired and there certainly aren't 50,000 there now.

Have a sibling living Colorado Springs and often ventures up I-70 and then west to go skiing.

CS may have other outdoor sports, but downhill skiing is not close.  Boulder has a local mediocre lift that few Coloradans use.  All the action is off I-70 west of Denver.

Alabama had under 20k when I moved to Mobile.  Now it has almost 40k.  That’s even math that you can’t do.

16 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Have a sibling living Colorado Springs and often ventures up I-70 and then west to go skiing.

CS may have other outdoor sports, but downhill skiing is not close.  Boulder has a local mediocre lift that few Coloradans use.  All the action is off I-70 west of Denver.

Alabama had under 20k when I moved to Mobile.  Now it has almost 40k.  That’s even math that you can’t do.

Your sibling is an idiot if they live in the springs and take i70 to get to skiing.

Kids from Cali who want to ski are not moving to Greeley to go to Eldora.

Yes, Alabama has doubled its enrollment in the past 20 years, but you claimed it doubled under Saban, which is a lie.

7 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

You know Greeley is much farther from the "action" than Boulder, right?  And it's really sh*tty compared to most anywhere else in Colorado.

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

You know Greeley is much farther from the "action" than Boulder, right?  And it's really sh*tty compared to most anywhere else in Colorado.

That's why UNC has to stay in the Big Sky!  Kid's from Cali and Arizona will go to UNC because they can watch Big Sky football and basketball in Greeley!!!   I saw a post on a message board, and a guy said that his neighbors cousin has a friend who knows the president, and he thinks they will double their enrollment within 3 years with this strategy.    :crazy:

14 hours ago, southpaw said:

Your sibling is an idiot if they live in the springs and take i70 to get to skiing.

Kids from Cali who want to ski are not moving to Greeley to go to Eldora.

Yes, Alabama has doubled its enrollment in the past 20 years, but you claimed it doubled under Saban, which is a lie.

Google must be an idiot because it always routes one to I70 to go skiing from Colorado Spring instead of a winding mountain road.

California kids who ski at Boulder would not go to Eldora, but they still go to Boulder.

Saban’s reign was responsible for the vast majority of it.  Alabama used to be a vast majority of Alabama kids.

7 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

The vast majority of Cali is less than Greeley, certainly as far as expenses and crime.

8 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Seriously, it smells there.  You can smell the death & blood, that packing plant smell.  No way kids from California would see Greeley as attractive.  Also, you do realize most college students are so broke they couldn't afford the gas to drive an hour to go skiing much less afford lift passes.

44 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Google must be an idiot because it always routes one to I70 to go skiing from Colorado Spring instead of a winding mountain road.

California kids who ski at Boulder would not go to Eldora, but they still go to Boulder.

Saban’s reign was responsible for the vast majority of it.  Alabama used to be a vast majority of Alabama kids.

The vast majority of Cali is less than Greeley, certainly as far as expenses and crime.

My buddy's daughter just got a full ride to Alabama, and she's from South Dakota.  Something to do with some cheer/pageant type deal.  They give out 50 full rides, one for each state, for this scholarship program.  I have a feeling Alabama is handing out lots of scholarships to entice out of state students to attend school there.

4 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

Seriously, it smells there.  You can smell the death & blood, that packing plant smell.  No way kids from California would see Greeley as attractive.  Also, you do realize most college students are so broke they couldn't afford the gas to drive an hour to go skiing much less afford lift passes.

The population of Greeley has doubled to over 100,000 from 1980 so smell isn’t keeping people away.  Just be North and west of it, as the prevailing winds are northwesterly.  People can’t afford the astronomical Ft Collin and Denver prices and moved there.  South Dakota is a major pork producer now and the hog heaven smell doesn’t cause a population drop.  Sioux Falls has grown in spite of its stockyards.  Vermillion can double its population if it produces pork.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greeley,_Colorado

4 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

My buddy's daughter just got a full ride to Alabama, and she's from South Dakota.  Something to do with some cheer/pageant type deal.  They give out 50 full rides, one for each state, for this scholarship program.  I have a feeling Alabama is handing out lots of scholarships to entice out of state students to attend school there.

This is a strategic move.  Schools like to get popular kids, especially beauty queens, to entice other out of state students to go there too and ones there to stay enrolled.  Alabama has a very strong Greek system and not that much higher an endowment than UND (its proportional).

Kids with brains are not popular.

I don’t think there is going to be any huge changes. It’s looking more and more like NDSU will get an FBS invite of some kind. The rest of us might rearrange the deck chairs a bit. 

Their success on the field is the result of that entire athletic department transforming itself into a wall-to-wall juggernaut.  Their success is huge financially, with the fans and on the field.  They have been building it for a generation or more and it’s really growing into something very impressive and primed for growth.  

Some people are starting to wonder if UND will even keep football.  The Omaha model for athletic budgets this size is more workable if you want D1 basketball.  otherwise a full slate of sports using the UMD model of D1 hockey  D2 football and other sports is successful for the schools using it.  We just don’t have the money to compete at this level in all sports.  By trying to do it, all sports are suffering.

• Downvote 4

4 hours ago, Milo said:

I don’t think there is going to be any huge changes. It’s looking more and more like NDSU will get an FBS invite of some kind. The rest of us might rearrange the deck chairs a bit. 

Their success on the field is the result of that entire athletic department transforming itself into a wall-to-wall juggernaut.  Their success is huge financially, with the fans and on the field.  They have been building it for a generation or more and it’s really growing into something very impressive and primed for growth.  

Some people are starting to wonder if UND will even keep football.  The Omaha model for athletic budgets this size is more workable if you want D1 basketball.  otherwise a full slate of sports using the UMD model of D1 hockey  D2 football and other sports is successful for the schools using it.  We just don’t have the money to compete at this level in all sports.  By trying to do it, all sports are suffering.

Wall to wall juggernaut? Their MBB and WBB programs are in the toilet right now. Their other non-FB programs aren't much better.

If you really think people like myself are going to accept UND becoming a low-level Division I school forever, you are kidding yourself. UND alumni will not tolerate the current level of mediocrity in the athletic department forever. I think Bill Chaves will clean this mess up and get us back to winning.

• Upvote 3

Athletic budgets this size aren’t successful with a full slate of D1 sports and hockey.  All the others are still D2 with hockey. Omaha dropped football to properly fund their other sports. 

UND has already dropped a lot of sports and cut back on their Big Sky adventure by retreating to the cheaper Summit and MVFC. There are fund raisers for basic safety equipment. Coordinators and other staff coaches get their start here and the head coaches aren’t  very successful.  The pay scale is too low. The budget model doesn’t work. It needs 2-5 million more to compete in D1 hockey and football.  

There isn’t going to be any FBS move. It would be a disaster.  The admin would never approve of the move unless something material changes. 

22 minutes ago, Milo said:

Athletic budgets this size aren’t successful with a full slate of D1 sports and hockey.  All the others are still D2 with hockey. Omaha dropped football to properly fund their other sports. 

UND has already dropped a lot of sports and cut back on their Big Sky adventure by retreating to the cheaper Summit and MVFC. There are fund raisers for basic safety equipment. Coordinators and other staff coaches get their start here and the head coaches aren’t  very successful.  The pay scale is too low. The budget model doesn’t work. It needs 2-5 million more to compete in D1 hockey and football.  

There isn’t going to be any FBS move. It would be a disaster.  The admin would never approve of the move unless something material changes. 

have u seen the current state of female athletics at the ndac??? somewhere amy ruley is cutting up pictures of comrade chapman.

2 hours ago, Milo said:

Apparently you haven’t heard of Western Michigan.  They went to the Cotton Bowl recently and their hockey team is better than UND this year.

NDSU will come begging for UND to go FBS so NDSU has an FBS league.

12 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

pretty good=FBS invitation

No conference ever made an invitation because of women’s sports, ever, even if they were “pretty good” except a women’s single sport conference.  Like NDSU has sell out crowds for their vaunted softball and T&F teams and a huge fan base on TV.  Heard that NDSU was building a domed stadium just for softball because their fans believe such nonsense.