SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Bowling Green offers hockey and FBS at a budget less than UND has.

Any talk of NDSU and SDSU getting into the MWC or MAC is total nonsense.  Those conferences only get 10 shares of the CFP and they have more than 10 members.

Before the CFP, the MAC invited Temple, UCF and U Mass as associate fb members because they are in enormous media markets, but those schools refused full memberships..m

The MWC took SJSU because it thought it needed a Bay Area presence for TV.  SJSU was taken over NMSU just based on media.

You also forgot your normal blather that NDSU cant go FBS without UND. :whistling: You must be slipping.

35 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

I am confused.  Is the Bison fan saying that UND's athletic budget is $27 million, but take out hockey and it's $15 million?  So hockey costs $12 million?  What about hockey revenues?  Hockey is cash flow positive, pays for itself and helps fund other sports.  How is that a problem exactly?

Its JBB - nothing makes sense.

Hey JBB, the one item you are forgetting with SDSU and USD is the they have mortgages to pay for with the facilities that they built/building.  NOTE to USD and SDSU fans, this is not meant as a slight toward your schools.  I thinks they are great investments in the schools and they are long over due.

NOTE:  UND also has a 7 million dollar mortgage  on the "Betty" that as of 2017 had a 1.4 million balance remaining.  The maturity date is 2020.  So, more funds $700,000 annually will be available for other capitals projects or available to other programs next year

I believe that the other thing that could be misleading about UND public numbers is how REA and its revenues and expense are included in the reported numbers.  The REA is a separate entity so I am not sure how there numbers are accounted for in UND's public numbers.

Betty.JPG.9dfd6b16354a755fb5bb3d22374159af.JPG

Engelstad rolled UND and the government. They got the deduct on taxes for the donation and will collects ticket revenues and rents so stiff the building cost will be recovered over the life of the financially crushing lease UND signed, further limiting financial resources.  The lease is so one-sided UND struggles with it publicly 

Und has 27 million NDSU about the same but UND supports hockey too. After you subtract hockey expenses what is left?  I am estimating about 15 million.

Signs of financial problems abound:  

• Left the BigSky because travel was too expensive  
  • dropped women’s hockey because it was too expensive  
  • Same for baseball  
  • The members out at the country club fund their kids golf teams because it’s too expensive 
  • there has been a public split with Englestad over the crushing terms of the hockey rink lease  
  • the golf course is being sold and
  • plans for a domed football stadium are on indefinite hold  

There will be no FBS move for UND.  A good look at what Mankato, UMD, Omaha and St Cloud did may be in order.  Understanding why they have the athletic business model they do is critical.  You can be certain they understand the UND model.

• Downvote 3

On 2/4/2019 at 10:35 AM, Yote 53 said:

The entire athletic department?  You sure about that?  NDSU is still very good in track and field and softball  but outside of that, not so much.  I would say their athletic department is a bit out of balance.

Hi Yote 53.  I am primarily talking about their financial juggernaut. All sports are well funded with each finding some success.  They continue to grow revenue streams. The highly profitable game at Target field is the latest public example.  Lucrative media deals and Team Makers are other areas of growth.  Their football success is certainly out of the ordinary but NDSU has demonstrated they are the best at the business of college football  

20 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Bowling Green offers hockey and FBS at a budget less than UND has.

Any talk of NDSU and SDSU getting into the MWC or MAC is total nonsense.  Those conferences only get 10 shares of the CFP and they have more than 10 members.

Before the CFP, the MAC invited Temple, UCF and U Mass as associate fb members because they are in enormous media markets, but those schools refused full memberships..m

The MWC took SJSU because it thought it needed a Bay Area presence for TV.  SJSU was taken over NMSU just based on media.

Excellent!  Bowling green has a smaller budget than UND. More the exception that proves the rule. UND has a flawed athletic business model and will be the Bowling Green of the upper Midwest.  I’m good with that.

im not even sure NDSU wants an FBS bid. What’s the point?  But if an FBS bid does come it will be given to NDSU and possibly SDSU,  unless of course the entire landscape of college football is changed like you have been suggesting to include UND. 

4 hours ago, Milo said:

Und has 27 million NDSU about the same but UND supports hockey too. After you subtract hockey expenses what is left?  I am estimating about 15 million.

3 hours ago, Milo said:

Thanks for the discussion. My point is made. 

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c5c427a6b70774236

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Milo said:

Per UND's 2017 fiscal reporting to the NCAA, UND's men's hockey incurred operating expenses of $4,420,927 and had revenues of $5,173,599. (I have the a PDF of the report.) 

I'd say your estimates and assumptions are a wee tad bit off. 

Please return with valid data. Thank you. 

Why might a former CFO of a Fortune 500 company, a guy who was rated one of America's Top CFOs, shear away some expenses? 

For a CFO the answers come down to: 

Expenses are too high 
or 
There are other intentions and priorities for those dollars. 

I've been at more than one company that has cut a product or division and remapped spending and used that opportunity to refocus and expand a more valuable asset. 

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Per UND's 2017 fiscal reporting to the NCAA, UND's men's hockey incurred operating expenses of $4,420,927 and had revenues of $5,173,599. (I have the a PDF of the report.) 

2018 Exp $4,402,013 Rev $5,713,722

Ban Milo and bring back Moser!  He's not posting in good fath.... pretending to be a und fan and then making up fake numbers.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Those are interesting numbers.   After hockey expenditures are taken out there is about 23 million left. That means NDSU has about 3-4 million to spend above and beyond UNDs remaining budget for football and other non hockey sports.  Almost a whole hockey season advantage in funds available for sports other than hockey.

No matter how you slice it NDSU has millions more disposable dollars for football and sports other than hockey..  Of course, I understand some of you feel you are on equal footing. If that’s the case NDSU has been much better at spending their money.  I think it’s both.

UND doesn’t have the money for an FBS move.  NDSU and possibly SDSU are better positioned financially and their athletic programs are functioning at a higher level because they are better positioned financially.

7 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Given your math skills, i’m guessing you’re the caffeine accountant for ndsu football.  

I’m not an accountant. I don’t know who keeps track of NDSUs caffeine or who accounts for the UND football players marjiuna profits. 

23 minutes ago, Milo said:

Those are interesting numbers.   After hockey expenditures are taken out there is about 23 million left.

13 minutes ago, Milo said:

I’m not an accountant. 

Clearly. 

Take out hockey's expense and you lose hockey's revenues.
UND Hockey is revenue net positive (revenues > expenses) meaning it adds to the department coffers. 

What I find curious is I have UND's 2013-2018 NCAA fiscal reports. 
I can't find NDSU's out there for consumption; and, a source who's asked for NDSU's recently says they are slow in responding. 
(And I have a person who can confirm both claims if they so choose to reveal themselves here.) 

1 hour ago, Milo said:

Those are interesting numbers.   After hockey expenditures are taken out there is about 23 million left. That means NDSU has about 3-4 million to spend above and beyond UNDs remaining budget for football and other non hockey sports.  Almost a whole hockey season advantage in funds available for sports other than hockey.

No matter how you slice it NDSU has millions more disposable dollars for football and sports other than hockey..  Of course, I understand some of you feel you are on equal footing. If that’s the case NDSU has been much better at spending their money.  I think it’s both.

UND doesn’t have the money for an FBS move.  NDSU and possibly SDSU are better positioned financially and their athletic programs are functioning at a higher level because they are better positioned financially.

So let’s say your hypothetical move up happens.  What’s sports is NDSU adding?  Those cost money.  

They already are stealing from women’s sports to fund men’s.  Likely the reason They are slow to release numbers or they don’t make them readily available.  

42 minutes ago, homer said:

So let’s say your hypothetical move up happens.  What’s sports is NDSU adding?  Those cost money.  

They already are stealing from women’s sports to fund men’s.  Likely the reason They are slow to release numbers or they don’t make them readily available.  

They are adding WIH and women’s lax.  The new fb indoor practice center becomes a women’s lax center too and the WCHA needs more teams.

My suggestion of them adding a women’s rowing team in the nearby sewage ponds and women’s mud wrestling have been turned down as too many of their women’s teams are already in a quagmire.