SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

The Big East catholic schools have made their departure official.

They did not persue dissolving the Big East and will just leave to form a new conference in 2015. They will likely add additional schools such as Xavier, Butler, Creighton, etc. to get to 10 or even 12. The remaining Big East FBS schools are going to have to add additional schools to turn what remains into a full fledged olympic conference. These are both going to send waves through the conference realignment, too.

Wouldn't be surprised in the least if this doesn't make its way down to the Summit.

The Big East catholic schools have made their departure official.

They did not persue dissolving the Big East and will just leave to form a new conference in 2015. They will likely add additional schools such as Xavier, Butler, Creighton, etc. to get to 10 or even 12. The remaining Big East FBS schools are going to have to add additional schools to turn what remains into a full fledged olympic conference. These are both going to send waves through the conference realignment, too.

Wouldn't be surprised in the least if this doesn't make its way down to the Summit.

with how concerned some of you are about the future of the Summit League, you would think UND was a member of the conference.

with how concerned some of you are about the future of the Summit League, you would think UND was a member of the conference.

1. Read the title of this thread.

2. UND was considered for membership, is still thrown around by other people as a possible member, and we could very well have our swimming & diving and baseball teams in the league in the near future.

3. It is the closest league to UND and has many members that UND has past history with between the NCC and WCHA.

4. We are constantly reminded what an amazing league the Summit is. We just want to take notes on how to form such a great league.

• Upvote 2

bet the fools in fargo never thought that the big east bball schools breaking off might put their ndac to mvc from a million to one to a billion to one?

time to see what geno's plan b is to get ahead of BOTH denver and omaha if creighton bolts?

big 12???

Actually, in the end, this may make it easier for any former NCC schools to one day land in the MVC down the road. I've long said that if any of the olnd NCC schools get into the Valley, it will look nothing like the Valley of today. This move could be the start of that. This is probably going to have a huge trickle-down effect, that likely will affect the A-10, MVC, Horizon, and Summit.

Big East contacts Fresno State and UNLV about joining in football

The Big East has “reached out” to both Fresno State and UNLV to join the league on the football side, CBSSports.com has learned. In addition, BYU and Big East commissioner Mike Aresco have at least had informal conversations.

UNLV and Fresno have “definitely” talked to Aresco, according to a source. However, the talks are being kept as secret as possible to keep from “offending people,” such as regents and boards of regents and trustees at those schools.

• 2 weeks later...

Boise St is staying in the MTN West....now will SDSU stay as well?

http://espn.go.com/c...nce-sources-say

San Diego St. may end up being screwed in all this. A Texas school like SMU, Houston, or UTEP probably offers the MWC more right now from a recruiting and television standpoint. The MWC can maintain a significant presence in California with Fresno and San Jose St., without re-admitting SDSU.............

San Diego St. may end up being screwed in all this. A Texas school like SMU, Houston, or UTEP probably offers the MWC more right now from a recruiting and television standpoint. The MWC can maintain a significant presence in California with Fresno and San Jose St., without re-admitting SDSU.............

I did leave out two important facts:

1) Since Boise is staying in the MTN SDSU has a clause in their contract with the Big East that if Boise were to leave, SDSU's exit fee would be waived.

2) SDSU has until 1/31 to decide if they want to stay in the MTN before the MTN can offer any other school.

This article breaks it down: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8803804/mountain-west-conference-give-san-diego-state-aztecs-first-option-join

I did leave out two important facts:

1) Since Boise is staying in the MTN SDSU has a clause in their contract with the Big East that if Boise were to leave, SDSU's exit fee would be waived.

2) SDSU has until 1/31 to decide if they want to stay in the MTN before the MTN can offer any other school.

This article breaks it down: http://espn.go.com/c...rst-option-join

I didn't see that article at first. I was going off of this excerpt from the first article you linked:

A Mountain West conference source with knowledge of the situation said San Diego State wants back in the Mountain West, but the league is holding up the process as it decides whether there is a better fit than the Aztecs and if there is a school that can deliver more value.

The source said if SDSU returns to the Mountain West, the Aztecs would have to come back on the conference's terms.

• 2 weeks later...

now that sdsu has rejoined the mwc do they offer full membership to hawaii (not likely) or do they add a non football oly sport school like denver to balance their sheduling or do they stand pat?

you would think denver would love a oly invite to the mwc now that the mwc is somewhat stable again?

Given the huge divide between the haves and have nots, schools like UND, NDSU, USD, SDSU, Montana, and MSU should seriously consider creating a new conference that puts an emphasis on like minded state flagship institutions. Maybe throw Denver, Omaha, and a couple others an invite create a regional league that has real fan interest in the upper mid-west. It's not likely that any of these schools will ever be courted by a prominent conference due to small media market sizes, but that doesn't mean we couldn't create rivalries that would make most people around these parts forget about FBS and get excited about FCS.

Given the huge divide between the haves and have nots, schools like UND, NDSU, USD, SDSU, Montana, and MSU should seriously consider creating a new conference that puts an emphasis on like minded state flagship institutions. Maybe throw Denver, Omaha, and a couple others an invite create a regional league that has real fan interest in the upper mid-west. It's not likely that any of these schools will ever be courted by a prominent conference due to small media market sizes, but that doesn't mean we couldn't create rivalries that would make most people around these parts forget about FBS and get excited about FCS.

This has crossed my mind before and realistically could be a really good conference, although my gut tells me it will never happen. Maybe also throw in UNC.

That will never happen. Don't have the exact numbers in front of me, But I believe that if you for a new conference, there is no automatic qualifier for football for like 5 years and no AQ for basketball for at least 10 years....maybe more. Not sure about other sports...but I am sure it is similar. While I would love to see those schools all in the same conference, I don't see AD's and Presidents at these schools putting their atheltic programs through that.

Given the huge divide between the haves and have nots, schools like UND, NDSU, USD, SDSU, Montana, and MSU should seriously consider creating a new conference that puts an emphasis on like minded state flagship institutions.

The vessel to do that should've been the WAC (when it was down to Idaho, NMSU, DU, Seattle U). The autobids would've been in place already.

Instead the WAC decided to become the island of misfits (Grand Canyon, Utah Valley, etc.).

• Upvote 1

The vessel to do that should've been the WAC (when it was down to Idaho, NMSU, DU, Seattle U). The autobids would've been in place already.

Instead the WAC decided to become the island of misfits (Grand Canyon, Utah Valley, etc.).

That conference could be pretty cool. An NCC with the fat trimmed down and some muscle put on.

• 3 weeks later...

Where did you see that?

A lot of message boards are saying that the UMKC move to the WAC is coming within the next 48 hours. I think also Izzo had a tweet about this going down as well.

Here is the tweet from Izzo

WHM-AM radio in Kansas City reporting that UMKC will be leaving the #SummitLeague for the WAC with announcement coming soon

— Dom Izzo (@DomIzzoWDAY)

February 7, 2013