SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

UND won Saturday despite their coaching.

The blocked FG going the other way because UND didn't play to the whistle shows me a team that has not been coached up.

UND won, because Northern Colorado gave the game away with a late fumble.

The blocked FG going the other way because UND didn't play to the whistle shows me a team that has not been coached up.

Have a grad school friend who went to UNC for his undergrad and he came down from the top of the student section to sit with me in the front for the 2nd half. When that play happen I turned to him and said "Please tell me that didn't happen now did it". If they would have scored on that play I would have gotten up and left.

After we came back and won he did put a perspective to me. It could be worse, in his 4 years of undergrad UNC won twice... in 4 years

*Note: The last line is not meant to be a vote to keep Muss, he still needs to be fired.

Exactly, I put that on the coaching staff. Then in the post-game presser Muss makes excuses saying "we're supposed to continue to play, but typically they blow those dead..."

"Typically"? What happened to playing 'til the whistle instead of assuming the ref will call it dead? Obviously, UND cannot advance the ball since it went past the LOS, but I counted at least 4 UND players that could've just walked over & touched the ball dead before the UNC player picks it up. They gave up. That's an unprepared special teams unit & that's on the coaches. (In the 10th game of the season)

Exactly, I put that on the coaching staff. Then in the post-game presser Muss makes excuses saying "we're supposed to continue to play, but typically they blow those dead..."

"Typically"? What happened to playing 'til the whistle instead of assuming the ref will call it dead? Obviously, UND cannot advance the ball since it went past the LOS, but I counted at least 4 UND players that could've just walked over & touched the ball dead before the UNC player picks it up. They gave up. That's an unprepared special teams unit & that's on the coaches. (In the 10th game of the season)

Right on! Wasn't a similar play from Pop Warner all over ESPN and YouTube a while back? Even those coaches were on the sidelines screaming for someone to touch te ball and down it.

Does anyone have the data of how many years in FCS or D1AA it has taken teams to make the playoffs for the first time? Especially the history of the Montanas, Montana States, Portland States, UNC, EWU, etc. How many years of being in FCS or D1AA before they had a playoff appearance? Are expectations of our football team by some people on this forum slightly out of touch?

I ask because it seems many on here have turned their back on the team because they hate the coach. I've had numerous conversations with people at UND, plus with others who have a long history with the program, knowledge of the Big Sky and experience in coaching college football since we joined the Big Sky. Since that time, the prevailing view of these people has been it will take at least until year 4 or 5 in the Big Sky for our program to get the point where we are a legitimate playoff team, year in and year out. The consenus of these people, whose opinions I value, feels there is zero chance Coach Mussman is fired. We think the UND Athletic Dept is going to stay the course, because it's the right thing to do and because firing a coach almost always sets a program back.

For me, watching UND sports, and especially football is like watching one of my children. I would never turn my back on one of my kids because someone else's kids are better than them at something. I would just continue to support and encourage them to get better and love them no matter what. I try to remember watching our team, is these are 18-22 year old college kids, here to get an education and play a game they love. We asked them to come here. We cheered when they agreed. I can't turn my back on that either. I'll continue to make all the games I can, and I expect us to be a playoff team before I tip over.

Does anyone have the data of how many years in FCS or D1AA it has taken teams to make the playoffs for the first time? Especially the history of the Montanas, Montana States, Portland States, UNC, EWU, etc. How many years of being in FCS or D1AA before they had a playoff appearance? Are expectations of our football team by some people on this forum slightly out of touch?

I ask because it seems many on here have turned their back on the team because they hate the coach. I've had numerous conversations with people at UND, plus with others who have a long history with the program, knowledge of the Big Sky and experience in coaching college football since we joined the Big Sky. Since that time, the prevailing view of these people has been it will take at least until year 4 or 5 in the Big Sky for our program to get the point where we are a legitimate playoff team, year in and year out. The consenus of these people, whose opinions I value, feels there is zero chance Coach Mussman is fired. We think the UND Athletic Dept is going to stay the course, because it's the right thing to do and because firing a coach almost always sets a program back.

For me, watching UND sports, and especially football is like watching one of my children. I would never turn my back on one of my kids because someone else's kids are better than them at something. I would just continue to support and encourage them to get better and love them no matter what. I try to remember watching our team, is these are 18-22 year old college kids, here to get an education and play a game they love. We asked them to come here. We cheered when they agreed. I can't turn my back on that either. I'll continue to make all the games I can, and I expect us to be a playoff team before I tip over.

fire muss.

this post sums up the new thinking of "UND" fans

I wish we had old time Sioux fans on this board who don't accept mediocrity. I want to win games and go to the playoffs

not get smoked by 30 points and have under 2500 fans sitting in seats.

• Upvote 1

I here what you are saying, but something just doesn't feel right about mussman. as long as he controls playing time, he will get the token respect from some of those kids. other than that, I appears to me he doesn't have the respect of the team. respect of the team has very little to do with how long it takes to establish yourself in a conference. apples/oranges

The answer to your question would be pretty easy to find. The Big Sky went DI-AA in 1978. This link http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/history-of-the-fcs-playoffs/ shows the playoff history since that time.

A few questions--

1. What, if anything, would it take before you'd think a change DID need to be made?

2. Does it bother you that in his second year, Glenn has USD going to the wire with highly-ranked teams such as Montana and Youngstown St., whereas we have been routinely blown out by teams like that?

Clearly, USD is not a playoff team, either. But at least they appear to be on the right track. I just can't say the same for UND. And wanting better leadership for the current and future players so that more people actually want to watch them play is far from turning one's back on them.

UND football did not complete, in three home games, against the top of conference. It was not competitive, read the scoreboard. 50% - 80% of seats have been empty and it's trending the wrong direction. Given these very simple facts, how can staying the course be the "right thing to do". That's mind-boggling to me.

Based on your value system, we should join the Pioneer Football League, where no athletic scholarships are involved and it doesn't matter how bad they are because everyone else in the conference is just as bad. But we aren't in the PFL. We are in the Big Sky Conference and we didn't move up to be mediocre year after year after year. It took NDSU three years to reach the playoffs for the first time. They have had one losing season since moving up to Division I FCS (in 2009 they finished 3-8). This program has done nothing but deteriorate since Mussman took over in December 2007. It's been a slow decline, but now we are reaping the harvest of mediocrity. And it is a very bitter harvest for those of us that care about this institution and it's programs. This isn't high school, where all that matters is that the kids have fun. This is FCS football and having a perennially underachieving and irrelevant program year after year is simply not acceptable and must not be allowed to continue.

Locally, NDSU made the playoffs in 2010, their 3rd season of eligibility. SDSU made the playoffs in 2009, their 2nd season of eligibility.

UND's football program should be held to the same standard as these peer institutions

I wasn't necessarily expecting a playoff season this year, but I was expecting a much more competitive, disciplined & prepared football team. That falls on the UND coaching staff. No reason that UND fans should not expect a competitive team year in & year out. There is little to no pride or enthusiasm in this program right now, from the coaches and players (you can see it on game day) down to the fans/alumni. Changes need to be made for the long-term benefit of the football program. The longer a coaching change is put off, the longer the rebuilding will take. Changes need to start next Monday.

This isn't high school, where all that matters is that the kids have fun. This is FCS football and having a perennially underachieving and irrelevant program year after year is simply not acceptable and must not be allowed to continue.

College hockey football should not be run like the NHL NFL....or the AHL CFL.......or even the ECHL Arena Football. Most of these guys will never make it past the ECHL play a down after college. They are here to get an education and play hockey football while doing it. Keep the game and practices fun and expect good grades and good behavior in return.

• Upvote 1

... I've had numerous conversations with people at UND, plus with others who have a long history with the program, knowledge of the Big Sky and experience in coaching college football since we joined the Big Sky. Since that time, the prevailing view of these people has been it will take at least until year 4 or 5 in the Big Sky for our program to get the point where we are a legitimate playoff team, year in and year out. The consenus of these people, whose opinions I value, feels there is zero chance Coach Mussman is fired. We think the UND Athletic Dept is going to stay the course, because it's the right thing to do and because firing a coach almost always sets a program back...

If this is correct, and I have no basis to think that your sources are bad, Faison is taking UND football down the same road as New Mexico State Aggies football.

That makes me very sad.

This, if true, is frightening. Not because the prospect of Muss staying is frightening, but because there appears to be influential people that think firing Muss would set the program back...as though there is anywhere lower left to fall...that the program-to them-hasn't hit rock bottom already.

There is a lot of truth in this, but the last paragraph should hold true regardless of your thoughts on the coaching staff. At this point, I think a change should be made, though I won't be completely surprised if one isn't for a few various reasons. I am disappointed with the season and expect better, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to renew my season tickets and attend games to support UND. There will be room on the bandwagon when things get better, there always is.