SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

I keep hearing "travel budgets" ... OK ...

UND already has to travel to UMD, DU, CC, and UNO. No change.

In terms of distance Miami is further than Tech, but is probably logistically easier to get to. Cost is probably higher.

And then there's Anchorage. And not travelling there. That's a savings (because they stopped paying travel costs for conference mates a couple years ago).

And honestly, I expect UND will become somewhat like the UMs (Minnesota and Michigan). UND has the big rink. UND probably will not travel as much non-conference unless someone makes it worthwhile for UND. Not many have the wherewithall to do that.

One must also consider the fact that there will now be new non-conference bus trips to UM, UW, SCSU, MSU-M, BSU, Tech...

Instead of flying to Orono, ME, just drive to Minneapolis, MN!

I accidentally erased my previous post. So I will try it again. Here's a link to the facebook "NCHC" logo...

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.171389226262340.45010.169222273145702

And here is the NBCUniversal logo...

NBCUniversal_logo_2011.png

So is it a coincidence or intentional???

Having made the claim to begin with, my guess is that the new conference put together a Powerpoint pitch to NBC Sports/Versus and used the font to match up with NBCU's logo. So, IMO, it was intentional, but doesn't signal an agreement with NBC.

I think you might be the one who made the error. I believe they used the logo that is in this link...

http://www.unomaha.edu/logo/

Thanks to all for correcting me. I've never seen them use that logo for hockey

They seem to have more logos than the Sioux.

Their hockey web page is http://omavs.com/index.aspx?path=mhockey& with three different logos used on one page alone. Anything to try to sell more stuff in the bookstore and to alumni $$$.

Several marks administered by the Office of External Operations are registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (www.uspto.gov) and/or the State of Nebraska. Other marks are protected under common law. The following is a list of trademarks and service marks administered by UNO's Office of External Operations:

Federally Registered marks (represented with

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the remaining WCHA. Solid rivalries. Solid teams. Great history. A local fan's dream for regional travel. Schools that already draw crowds about the same size as the crowds typically drawn by Denver, CC, and, heaven forbid, Notre Dame!

I'll start by saying that I'm a little iffy on this move. I've been following the Sioux since I was 12 years old, growing up in Mandan when the Sioux won the 1982 championships. I have very fond memories of the 1987 team. I even did a story in our high school paper on that team. So, I'm a big fan of the WCHA. I think this could turn out to be a great move, but there are big risks. However, I think the teams that made the cut make sense.

North Dakota - A top four program in college hockey... at minimum. Championship pedigree. 2nd in the NCAA in attendance.

Denver - Historic team. Championship pedigree. Big market. 8th in the NCAA in attendance.

Colorado College - Consistent winner. Championship pedigree. 5th in the NCAA in attendance.

Miami - Recent success. University is committed to college hockey. Ohio as a whole is a big market.

Nebraska-Omaha. University is committed to college hockey. Great coach. 4th in the NCAA in attendance (behind Wisconsin, UND, and Minnesota).

Minnesota-Duluth. I like that they are included--although I think they are the most iffy. Mainly because they've really only had recent success--save for a season or two. University has shown committment to hockey though. With their new rink they'll likely move from 11th in the NCAA in attendance into the top 10.

Notre Dame would be a great addition for obvious reasons. New rink will likely move then into the top 10 in attendance. Could bring huge exposure. Program is committed to college hockey.

I actually like Western Michigan for a lot of the reasons I like Omaha and Miami. They've shown the committment. Pretty good sized market. Huge alumni numbers. Plus, the league needs a dormat. :)

BTW, these teams draw much more than the leftovers in the WCHA. UND at #2, Omaha at #4, CC at #5, Denver at #8 in the top 10 in attendance. Duluth likely in the top 10 next year. Same when Notre Dame gets their new rink. The attendance numbers and championship pedigree rank right up there with the BIG 10 conference.

On the other hand, Mankato is #17, Anchorage is #24, Bemidji is #36, Michigan Tech is #37. St. Cloud State is the only leftover school that ranks in the top 15. They actually make a decent case for being in the league (ala Duluth), but from what I've read on here there is some bad blood between UND and SCSU.

They made mention that four more schools may be trying to join. Other than Notre Dame and WMU, any speculation as to who they may be?

Speculation is fun. :)

Strategically, it seems clear the conference is looking for a bigger footprint. Bigger presence in the big-population states in the midwest. Big-time schools.

NCHC needs New York (Syracuse), Illinois (Northwestern? oops they would go B1G, OK think of someone else in Chicagoland which is hockey-crazy right now). Iowa State would fit pretty well. Missouri (Lindenwood), Pennsylvania (Pitt? hey they can't let Penn State one-up on them).

Canisius is a terrific Jesuit school in a major hockey market (Buffalo). UConn, if they ever put their mind to it. How about Rutgers?

Last, if you're going to have a national presence in hockey, you need a significant presence in New England. BC would be the girl everyone wants in their conference, and their other encumbrances are not a problem like for other schools out there.

2 Questions for your discussion:

Since Coach Blashill left Western Michigan for the Red WIngs, will WMU still be considered for a slot in the NCHC?

If Notre Dame is looking for a 7 team league, would admissions to the league stop at 7 if the Irish joined?

I think if Notre Dame wanted to join a seven team conference the NCHC would be more than happy to close the door at 7 as a condition of their affiliation.

I accidentally erased my previous post. So I will try it again. Here's a link to the facebook "NCHC" logo...

I'll go coincidence because that font has that serif (I think that's the word for it) like the new "North Dakota" font (see my signature line below for example).

I'll go coincidence because that font has that serif (I think that's the word for it) like the new "North Dakota" font (see my signature line below for example).

plus, Universal (NBC) was recently bought by Comcast, so Universal is no longer the parent company.

When I heard about the fire and smoke damage in REA I wondered if some of the existing electronics would need replacement ... and upgrade to high-def. We can dream can't we? :)

I believe that WDAZ is responsible for the production of all the home games. I sent them an email about broadcasting the games in HD, but the reply I got back said that they had been discussing it for several years and the cost of upgrading the cameras and production equipment to HD was very expensive. I think they do an exceptional job of covering the games with exception being to the standard definition cameras they use, I wonder how a bigger tv deal will effect the relationship between UND and WDAZ if they are unable to upgrade the picture quality on the games?

When I heard about the fire and smoke damage in REA I wondered if some of the existing electronics would need replacement ... and upgrade to high-def. We can dream can't we? :)

or just a flipping penalty clock... i know people have stated it is an expensive upgrade, but comeon, we have to be one of the few div. 1 teams without it.

I love the idea of having all Sioux games televised, but please, PLEASE find someone other than Pat Sweeney to do the play by play. He couldn't accurately call a turtle race. And tell Scanlon to OPEN his eyes. He always looks stoned.