SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

They made mention that four more schools may be trying to join. Other than Notre Dame and WMU, any speculation as to who they may be?

They said there were four schools and I would believe WMU, SCSU, BGSU - Maybe ND...

Any guesses as to the other schools besides Notre Dame and Western Michigan?

My guesses would be:

~Bemidji State (brand new rink, college hockey becoming huge)

~Air Force (already two Colorado teams, why not another)

~Northern Michigan (just a guess....nothing other than that)

Any guesses as to the other schools besides Notre Dame and Western Michigan?

My guesses would be:

~Bemidji State (brand new rink, college hockey becoming huge)

~Air Force (already two Colorado teams, why not another)

~Northern Michigan (just a guess....nothing other than that)

I would not classify those as like minded schools... Or that's what the six schools have been saying all along.

They said there were four schools and I would believe WMU, SCSU, BGSU - Maybe ND...

I really hope not, only two of those schools are worth adding. I'm sorry but SCSU and BGSU should not be up for consideration if we want to legitimately call ourselves a super-conference. BGSU might be a good add to strengthen UND's ties to the MAC, we might need options in the event that Montanan and Montana State bolt for the WAC.

I really hope not, only two of those schools are worth adding. I'm sorry but SCSU and BGSU should not be up for consideration if we want to legitimately call ourselves a super-conference. BGSU might be a good add to strengthen UND's ties to the MAC, we might need options in the event that Montanan and Montana State bolt for the WAC.

I don't see SCSU getting in. But WMU and BGSU are MAC brother with Miami... From the Official announcement today. That might rule out SCSU and BGSU right off of the bat.

"The motivation to create the National Collegiate Hockey Conference follow recent conference realignments that affected several of our founding teams," said Brian Faison, director of athletics at North Dakota. "Our new conference was developed under the auspice of institutions that have displayed a high level of competitiveness on the ice, an institutional commitment to compete at the highest level within Division I, provide a national platform for exposure, and have wonderful history and tradition within their institution and hockey programs. The conference will be comprised of not only highly competitive, committed and winning hockey programs, but will also showcase many of the best student-athletes on and off the ice in coming years."

WMU, ND are all I can think of.

They said four teams at the press conference but I have yet to see where anyone asked them about it. I think that was a point that was more important than some of the others.

Edited by Goon

Copyrighted from Goon's post:

"The motivation to create the National Collegiate Hockey Conference follow recent conference realignments that affected several of our founding teams," said Brian Faison, director of athletics at North Dakota. "Our new conference was developed under the auspice of institutions that have displayed a high level of competitiveness on the ice, an institutional commitment to compete at the highest level within Division I, provide a national platform for exposure, and have wonderful history and tradition within their institution and hockey programs. The conference will be comprised of not only highly competitive, committed and winning hockey programs, but will also showcase many of the best student-athletes on and off the ice in coming years."

High level of competitiveness on the ice....thats Notre Dame, Western Michigan, Bemidji State, Northern Michigan has been in the tournament a time or two...i think Air Force fits with this as well.

Tradition.....Air Force academically.....Bemidji State has some, mostly down a division....Notre Dame.....Northern has at least one NCAA championship that I can think of.....

Exposure....Obviously Notre Dame.....Bemidji made the frozen four two years ago, and has a beautiful new facility.........

Student athletes......Notre Dame.....Air Force.....

So in the end....Notre Dame would be a perfect fit.......

Copyrighted from Goon's post:

High level of competitiveness on the ice....thats Notre Dame, Western Michigan, Bemidji State, Northern Michigan has been in the tournament a time or two...i think Air Force fits with this as well.

Tradition.....Air Force academically.....Bemidji State has some, mostly down a division....Notre Dame.....Northern has at least one NCAA championship that I can think of.....

Exposure....Obviously Notre Dame.....Bemidji made the frozen four two years ago, and has a beautiful new facility.........

Student athletes......Notre Dame.....Air Force.....

So in the end....Notre Dame would be a perfect fit.......

Unless Army is in the new league I don't see it happening. I don't think BSU will get an invite, my opinion. I am fine with it, if they did add them.

Faison denies that BC and BU were extended invitations, could there possibly be a school or two from Hockey East other than those two who were given a golden ticket? Perhaps Maine or Vermont, maybe even Connecticut? I'm sure Air Force was or is in talks with the NCHC.

Faison denies that BC and BU were extended invitations, could there possibly be a school or two from Hockey East other than those two who were given a golden ticket? Perhaps Maine or Vermont, maybe even Connecticut? I'm sure Air Force was or is in talks with the NCHC.

AFA would not fair well in this league and they want to play ARMY 2-4X a year...

AFA would not fair well in this league and they want to play ARMY 2-4X a year...

I agree they would take their lumps.....I think they'd also be able to get some more high caliber recruits with the type of schedule and exposure that they could get playing in the league. If you would have told me two years ago Western Michigan would be a possibility for a super league with Denver, UND, CC, Miami of Ohio, I might have called you nuts, or a GOON!!! :p

I agree and from everything they have said they want nothing to do with leaving their current conference. I never understand why Air Force always gets brought up on this board as this great hockey team that should be invited into power conferences. I don't see any reason why they would ever want to join a conference where finishing anywhere but last would be a good season for them. They have had a few decent seasons recently but would be Michigan Tech like in a normal conference. I guess I've never really understood the love fest for them on this board. Maybe I'm missing something.

Saint Cloud should be a solid contender for admission. Northern Michigan as well. Notre Dame and WMU are nothing programs.

The new powers that be could have given some more thought to the new conference name. The National Collegiate Hockey Conference. Really?

Pretty damned lame. Of course it is a collegiate conference. No need to so state. And it is hardly national, at least in terms of geographic reach.

What is done is done. Now let's just retire the name and the logo and we can start the whole world anew. Thank God I've already a foot and a half out of the canoe.

I'll be watching most of what unfolds with Ralph.

Saint Cloud should be a solid contender for admission. Northern Michigan as well. Notre Dame and WMU are nothing programs.

SCSU brings nothing to the table that UMD doesn't already. This type of move is about "media footprints" and there's no sense in duplicating it.

Notre Dame brings national name recognition.

I'm not sold on WMU either. They had one good year and lost that coach already.

They're calling it NATIONAL College Hockey Conference. Oxford, OH, to Denver, CO, really isn't "national". I wonder ...

The new powers that be could have given some more thought to the new conference name. The National Collegiate Hockey Conference. Really?

Pretty damned lame. Of course it is a collegiate conference. No need to so state. And it is hardly national, at least in terms of geographic reach.

What is done is done. Now let's just retire the name and the logo and we can start the whole world anew. Thank God I've already a foot and a half out of the canoe.

I'll be watching most of what unfolds with Ralph.

I'm not so sure about the "not in geographic reach" term. Goon posted that there were four teams already looking at the NCHC. Could it be a couple of East Coast teams are interested?

This makes me wonder.....

The name of the conference includes the word "National" for a reason, conference officials state ...

I've read a couple of places where the name is considered to be lame. By what standard? Do people consider the National Football League to be a lame name? How about the National Hockey League?

I think when all of the teams are "signed up" and we see that we have a "National" conference the name will fit nicely.