SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

Have to give Fred Pletsch, the CCHA's new commissioner, a lot of credit for being open and honest:

CCHA response to NCHC announcement

"Today’s announcement does not come as a surprise as we have been engaged in discussing this topic with Miami, and other CCHA schools, for several months now. The league respects the right of all members to examine institutional and geographic similarities with other schools, and ultimately determine their own place within college hockey. The conference continues to work closely with the remaining membership to ensure there is a place for them, and the CCHA, in the evolving landscape.

For the remaining WCHA AD's and the Commissioner to state that they were blindsided by this, when the CCHA is on record that they've been discussing Miami's potential departure for months, is totally disingenuous. Northern Michigan has had months to prepare to go to the WCHA, not days.

Hopefully, some of the AHA schools move over to the CCHA, so Bowling Green and Ferris St can continue. I'd also prefer WMU to stay, as it would be the one Nat (can I say that?) school without a great rink, and it needs time to gain solid footing as a program. In three or four more years, WMU could be revisited.

BC Interruption: Hockey realignment

The above moves leave the CCHA with just two programs -- Bowling Green and Ferris State. It's hard to see the remaining two CCHA programs having much bargaining power, but the league is in discussions with Atlantic Hockey's Niagara, Canisius, Robert Morris and Mercyhurst to join the conference. Those four programs have long wanted to up the number of scholarships from 12 to 18 and a move to the CCHA would help the four western most Atlantic Hockey programs (that aren't Air Force) do just that. If the CCHA wanted to expand further, they could always attempt to also invite RIT and UAH to make eight, but Huntsville does make the conference a bit more unworkable geographically and the CCHA has already turned down UAH once before. For now, let's say the new CCHA is Bowling Green, Canisius, Ferris State, Mercyhurst, Niagara and Robert Morris.

Speculation is fun. :)

Strategically, it seems clear the conference is looking for a bigger footprint. Bigger presence in the big-population states in the midwest. Big-time schools.

NCHC needs New York (Syracuse), Illinois (Northwestern? oops they would go B1G, OK think of someone else in Chicagoland which is hockey-crazy right now). Iowa State would fit pretty well. Missouri (Lindenwood), Pennsylvania (Pitt? hey they can't let Penn State one-up on them).

Canisius is a terrific Jesuit school in a major hockey market (Buffalo). UConn, if they ever put their mind to it. How about Rutgers?

Last, if you're going to have a national presence in hockey, you need a significant presence in New England. BC would be the girl everyone wants in their conference, and their other encumbrances are not a problem like for other schools out there.

My votes: Notre Dame, Iowa State, Texas, Washington, Stanford, USC. ;)

If Notre Dame is looking for a 7 team league, would admissions to the league stop at 7 if the Irish joined?

I hope not for 2 reasons.

1) 7 is a crap number for a league, it's a crap number for the post-season tournament, and it's dangerously close to being a 5 or 6 team league if someone bolts. I think having anything under 8 teams is risky and shortsighted, and actually a little boring too.

2) I get tired of Notre Dame thinking they always need to have things skewed their way or they take their ball and go home. They're not even in this conference and they want to dictate how many teams should be in it? They have spurned the Big Ten on numerous occasions but make it sound like if the NCHC takes more than 7 teams they may lean towards the BTHC with 6 teams? Maybe if they're so worried about having more nonconference games they should go independent and play Huntsville 14 times a year. They're not the gods they think they are when it comes to college hockey.

End of Rant

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I hope not for 2 reasons.

1) 7 is a crap number for a league, it's a crap number for the post-season tournament, and it's dangerously close to being a 5 or 6 team league if someone bolts. I think having anything under 8 teams is risky and shortsighted, and actually a little boring too.

2) I get tired of Notre Dame thinking they always need to have things skewed their way or they take their ball and go home. They're not even in this conference and they want to dictate how many teams should be in it? They have spurned the Big Ten on numerous occasions but make it sound like if the NCHC takes more than 7 teams they may lean towards the BTHC with 6 teams? Maybe if they're so worried about having more nonconference games they should go independent and play Huntsville 14 times a year. They're not the gods they think they are when it comes to college hockey.

End of Rant

I don't want one program to be 'bigger' than any of the others. If having Notre Dame join the Super League (I like that better than the National which reminds me of a car rental agency) means they will dictate how it is run, etc. I don't want them.

I don't want one program to be 'bigger' than any of the others. If having Notre Dame join the Super League (I like that better than the National which reminds me of a car rental agency) means they will dictate how it is run, etc. I don't want them.

I think there are already schools in the NCHL (I like that, whoever thought of it!) that are "bigger" than the others. I'm pretty sure UMD doesn't have the power that UND and DU have right now.

I think there are already schools in the NCHL (I like that, whoever thought of it!) that are "bigger" than the others. I'm pretty sure UMD doesn't have the power that UND and DU have right now.

Donna DU and UND aren't calling the shots in the NCHC as you suggest... All the member schools are equal members this isn't the WCHA...

I keep reading how UND, and UND alone, is the villain that is killing small program hockey. Balderdash!! Without the complete cooperation of all the six programs, this new conference would never have happened. Is UND a 'power' in the conference, probably, but it's not a dictatorship. If the other members don't have a voice, the conference will die. If the scuttlebutt is true and Notre Dame will only join a conference with a total of 7 teams, they will be dictating the future growth of the program and who knows what else. If true, I say, let them look elsewhere. I hope it's not, and I hope they decide to join the NCHL.

I keep reading how UND, and UND alone, is the villain that is killing small program hockey. Balderdash!! Without the complete cooperation of all the six programs, this new conference would never have happened. Is UND a 'power' in the conference, probably, but it's not a dictatorship. If the other members don't have a voice, the conference will die. If the scuttlebutt is true and Notre Dame will only join a conference with a total of 7 teams, they will be dictating the future growth of the program and who knows what else. If true, I say, let them look elsewhere. I hope it's not, and I hope they decide to join the NCHL.

EXACTLY, people that think this is all UND's doing is wrong... To quote Baggot->

During a press conference at the historic Penrose House, North Dakota athletic director Brian Faison said there was no one tipping point for the schools striking out on their own.

“It’s been a very measured, involved process,” he said.

But two developments at the AHCA meeting may be straws that broke the camel’s back.

There was sentiment from multiple schools that WCHA commissioner Bruce McLeod needed to step down, but a college hockey source speaking on the condition of anonymity due to the volatile nature of the discussions said that while “people inched up to that line, no one crossed it.”

When the discussion turned to schools possibly pulling out of the WCHA, one of the small-school athletic directors made a motion that called for a six-figure fine to be imposed on all defectors, a point confirmed Wednesday by Faison. The sanction idea was supported by another small-school AD but subsequently withdrawn.

Edited by Goon

EXACTLY, people that think this is all UND's doing is wrong... To quote Baggot-> There were The six schools committed to the NCHC have won 17 national titles, including seven apiece from Denver and North Dakota. Duluth claimed its first NCAA crown in April.

I stopped reading all the crap out there about UND and the new conference. According to everything I read, UMtc and UW were 'forced' to join the BTHC. The BT took them by the cojones and set them in the new conference against their will. They didn't want to go but, oh, woe is me, they had to go, they had no choice. Boo Hoo, Boo Hoo. UND, et al, were suppose to stay put and ensure the continuation of the 'little guy programs' left behind because, well, UMtc and UW couldn't. Never mind that they didn't seen to care before but now, big bad BT won't let them even if they decided they wanted to.

UND made a conscious decision to do what they believe is best for their program and so did UMD, DU, CC, UNO and O-M, unlike the BTHC members who had the decision made for them. Good, bad or indifferent, it's not only the hockey world who knows who we are, everyone interested in college sports is talking about us. 'There's no such thing as bad press' and you can't buy all the media coverage this new conference is getting! ;)

• Upvote 1

From the looks of things Faison and Dasher Dwarf were having kind of a two-man lovefest, so I'd say the "power" in the NCHC is clearly centered in Grand Forks and Denver.

I'm 100% serious.

While there might have been a "Love Feast" if you think that "ONLY" UND and DU are pulling the strings I would have to respectfully disagree with you. This is a package deal, I can't see Dean Blais or Scott Sandelin being patsys... I am also tired of UMD, C.C. UNO and Miami getting a pass while UND and DU are seen as the villians in this deal. UND and DU don't weild anymore power than the other schools.

I stopped reading all the crap out there about UND and the new conference. According to everything I read, UMtc and UW were 'forced' to join the BTHC. The BT took them by the cojones and set them in the new conference against their will. They didn't want to go but, oh, woe is me, they had to go, they had no choice. Boo Hoo, Boo Hoo. UND, et al, were suppose to stay put and ensure the continuation of the 'little guy programs' left behind because, well, UMtc and UW couldn't. Never mind that they didn't seen to care before but now, big bad BT won't let them even if they decided they wanted to.

UND made a conscious decision to do what they believe is best for their program and so did UMD, DU, CC, UNO and O-M, unlike the BTHC members who had the decision made for them. Good, bad or indifferent, it's not only the hockey world who knows who we are, everyone interested in college sports is talking about us. 'There's no such thing as bad press' and you can't buy all the media coverage this new conference is getting! ;)

I wish I had a 1+ to give you because that was a beautiful piece.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

While UND and DU are without a doubt the driving forces of the NCHL (not a judgement, just an observation), Notre Dame and Miami are getting off easy. They were restless to dump the CCHA for anything else, including the WCHA (and in my opinion, simply adding ND and Miami to the WCHA would have been the WORST outcome for the CCHA schools remaining as well as making every conference full to bursting).

I honestly can't blame "leftover" fans for how they feel right now. It has to be scary for some fans to think their team might not be around in a few years. If they want to be upset, it's ok with me. I felt sick about the idea when it first surfaced and UMD was not in the discussion.

I am not comfortable right now about UMD's role in the new conference. I just have such a nagging feeling that won't go away until more organizational details emerge. It was a gutsy move. I just hope UMD didn't have to make costly concessions to get into the conference and that they are considered a true "founding member." We may never know, but I'd be interested in learning who was involved at the "hey, let's start a conference!" stage and who (if anyone) didn't get involved until they were invited. Lots of people are wondering "Why UMD?" And maybe it's just cause of our recent success and new arena that has been so, um, "welcoming" to UND :lol: and because at WCHA meeting and votes the UMD staff found themselves on the same side as these other schools, and I'm being overly paranoid, but maybe UMD did something extra (like agree to a lesser share of revenue for x number of years or something, I don't know) to make themselves more appealing because they were afraid to be left behind.

We'll all see, I guess!!

While UND and DU are without a doubt the driving forces of the NCHL (not a judgement, just an observation), Notre Dame and Miami are getting off easy. They were restless to dump the CCHA for anything else, including the WCHA (and in my opinion, simply adding ND and Miami to the WCHA would have been the WORST outcome for the CCHA schools remaining as well as making every conference full to bursting).

I honestly can't blame "leftover" fans for how they feel right now. It has to be scary for some fans to think their team might not be around in a few years. If they want to be upset, it's ok with me. I felt sick about the idea when it first surfaced and UMD was not in the discussion.

I am not comfortable right now about UMD's role in the new conference. I just have such a nagging feeling that won't go away until more organizational details emerge. It was a gutsy move. I just hope UMD didn't have to make costly concessions to get into the conference and that they are considered a true "founding member." We may never know, but I'd be interested in learning who was involved at the "hey, let's start a conference!" stage and who (if anyone) didn't get involved until they were invited. Lots of people are wondering "Why UMD?" And maybe it's just cause of our recent success and new arena that has been so, um, "welcoming" to UND :lol: and because at WCHA meeting and votes the UMD staff found themselves on the same side as these other schools, and I'm being overly paranoid, but maybe UMD did something extra (like agree to a lesser share of revenue for x number of years or something, I don't know) to make themselves more appealing because they were afraid to be left behind.

We'll all see, I guess!!

Donna, I was wondering if a black helicopter is landing in the back yard? Your team is in...

Already being shortened by coaches and ADs to "The National". I saw where a writer referred to it as "The Nat".. I like The National, not so much The Nat.

They should have gone with something from Slap Shot like the 'Iron League' or 'Federal League'... :)

We may never know, but I'd be interested in learning who was involved at the "hey, let's start a conference!" stage and who (if anyone) didn't get involved until they were invited. Lots of people are wondering "Why UMD?" And maybe it's just cause of our recent success and new arena that has been so, um, "welcoming" to UND :lol: and because at WCHA meeting and votes the UMD staff found themselves on the same side as these other schools, and I'm being overly paranoid, but maybe UMD did something extra (like agree to a lesser share of revenue for x number of years or something, I don't know) to make themselves more appealing because they were afraid to be left behind.

We'll all see, I guess!!

Bulding a new arena (even though the roof leaked, the handicapp door openers didn't work and the glass could not support the body check of a 'Dog on inauguration day) says a lot about the school's committment to it's hockey program. That may have played a part in inviting them to join. Maybe the answers will be forthcoming, maybe we'll never know the answers as to why or who.

I understand the rest of the WCHA's fans anger, etc. I had a problem with the Goofs shouting from the roof tops how they would never have screwed the little guys BUT for the fact, poor them, they were forced to join the BTHC. Now I don't care what they think. They can keep up the hate banter. They're just making themselves look like the hypocritical a$$es they are. UND, et al are not sitting behind and bemoaning the fact that UMtc and UW left the WCHA. They looked to the future and made a decision to form a new conference. We'll see.....

Bulding a new arena (even though the roof leaked, the handicapp door openers didn't work and the glass could not support the body check of a 'Dog on inauguration day) says a lot about the school's committment to it's hockey program. That may have played a part in inviting them to join. Maybe the answers will be forthcoming, maybe we'll never know the answers as to why or who.

I understand the rest of the WCHA's fans anger, etc. I had a problem with the Goofs shouting from the roof tops how they would never have screwed the little guys BUT for the fact, poor them, they were forced to join the BTHC. Now I don't care what they think. They can keep up the hate banter. They're just making themselves look like the hypocritical a$$es they are. UND, et al are not sitting behind and bemoaning the fact that UMtc and UW left the WCHA. They looked to the future and made a decision to form a new conference. We'll see.....

Minny fans should be happy...now they are virtually guaranteed a 4th place finish (something they had trouble reaching recently) in their new conference...well at least until Penn State gets a few scholarship players and tOSU stops sucking so much...Still, 6th place isn't so bad, right? :)

You're on fire tonight... :lol:

I have read where a lot of people don't understand how Miami and UMD can get in over an SCSU but you have too look at it this way... SCSU almost canned their football program, they are not committed to hockey and sports like the 6 programs in the new program are... On the other hand UMD has a lot of Mojo right now fresh off two NCAA titles in Football and a title in Hockey their stock couldn't be higher, add a new hockey arena it was a no brainer to add them to this league... Miami is a MAC school and committed to winning and has a solid hockey program... I look at SCSU as more of a middle of the road team in the NSIC and hit or miss in hockey... I woldn't call SCSU a power house hockey program either. If the SCSU President was serious about being in the new league he would have kept his mouth shut like WMU did...

Minny fans should be happy...now they are virtually guaranteed a 4th place finish (something they had trouble reaching recently) in their new conference...well at least until Penn State gets a few scholarship players and tOSU stops sucking so much...Still, 6th place isn't so bad, right? :)

A moral victory