SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

Good. The fact that they made Aaron Marvin the captain, last year, showed how serious they are as a program.

They should be happy to stay in the WCHA with their buddy, Bruce McLeod, and his ridiculous suspensions and the beer league refs.

Wow! Talk about an article that was all doom and gloom, DeLand definitely didn't see the silver lining in this at all. I do now after reading this; know how SCSU gets the nickname Jan Brady State University. While SCSU might be a great 4th or 5th place team yearly in the WCHA In my opinion they aren't on the same footing/standing as the 7 teams that are leaving the WCHA... I also keep hearing MU over SCSU and why? Miami University is a MAC school in a division I league, SCSU is in the NSIC and not very good in a watered down Division II league, they almost dropped football. I keep hearing that the reason SCSU wasn't asked to join the others at the table was their stance on the nickname. I can't see that being a reason for not being invited to the NCHC.

So here is how I feel (hope) things will shake out (only listing WCHA, NCHC, and CCHA teams. We all know who the BTHC are):

Scenario A:

NCHC

UND

DU

CC

WMU

ND

UMD

UNO

Miami

WCHA

NMU

SCSU

BSU

MSU Mankato

UAA

MTU

CCHA

UAF

FSU

LSSU

BGSU

UAH

RIT/Niagara

Scenario B (Notre Dame goes HEA):

NCHC

UND

DU

WMU

CC

UMD

Miami

UNO

BSU

WCHA

NMU

MSU Mankato

UAA

MTU

SCSU

MSU Moorhead?

CCHA

Same as Situation A

Ok, here are the two sticking points:

1. BSU in the NCHC: Small school with hockey being its only DI sport. I'm not sure how well BSU fits in most categories but I do know that BSU's relationship with some of the NCHC members are very strong. They have the new facilities that make the site attractive. Also, though they are small market (extremely small), they are pretty much a hockey market. Any of the NCHC teams go to Bemidji, they'll sell out. BSU fans travel relatively well all things considered. SCSU makes a better choice, but their administration has made it known that they're rather an unattractive option from that standpoint.

2. MSU Moorhead in the WCHA: This isn't a given. They want to, but if wants were wishes and wishes were nickels, the state of Minnesota wouldn't be in financial crisis mode. Gosh, I just don't see them getting it done. Or perhaps getting it done but being unable to maintain it. It's a VERY risky option.

Notre Dame to the Hockey East isn't as far fetched as we'd all like it to believe. There are a LOT of things pulling them that direction. There are less powerhouses in Hockey East than in the NCHC so there is a chance that Notre Dame could perrenially be among the top of that division more often than the talent rich NCHC. I'm not saying HEA is weak, but they have more "weak" teams in it than the NCHC. Also, Notre Dame, with the exception of football, competes with most of the HEA teams that are in DI in other sports (Big East Conference). They have a natural rival in the HEA in BC, where they only have Miami and perhaps WMU in the NCHC. Good rivals, sure, but not as strong as the one with BC.

My hunch says that Notre Dame is leaning HEA 60%. I would not be shocked at all of they went HEA.

My hunch says that Notre Dame is leaning HEA 60%. I would not be shocked at all of they went HEA.

My hunch says Notre Dame is looking out for Notre Dame. You'll know where they got the most of what they wanted by where they go.

I keep hearing that the reason SCSU wasn't asked to join the others at the table was their stance on the nickname. I can't see that being a reason for not being invited to the NCHC.

Maybe not - but I do like the fact that their PC tongue-lashings and "holier than the UND heathens" attitude over the past few years is not being rewarded. It's kind of like peeing all over your neighbors living room floor and then wondering why you didn't get invited to his super bowl party.

• Upvote 3

SCSU? The school that dropped Homecoming because they couldn't afford it? The school that almost dropped football in the last year because they couldn't afford it? That SCSU? They have money issues across the board in athletics. They're not in a position to make a deep fiscal commitment to hockey.

But the moniker thing does make me smirk all the more.

SCSU is also the school that has more swastikas paintings on the walls per student than any other school, ever! They need to shut their pie holes and get their own house in order before bitching about any other schools.

• Upvote 3

SCSU is also the school that has more swastikas paintings on the walls per student than any other school, ever! They need to shut their pie holes and get their own house in order before bitching about any other schools.

+1

Maybe not - but I do like the fact that their PC tongue-lashings and "holier than the UND heathens" attitude over the past few years is not being rewarded. It's kind of like peeing all over your neighbors living room floor and then wondering why you didn't get invited to his super bowl party.

I have to give you a 1+ for that comment... I find it funny how they President of SCSU says he will not join the new league but expected to be invited to join. I thought that comment was kind of self serving and he was assuming a lot.

CCHA and Four AHA Schools to meet

Great news for Lake Sup State, Ferris St, Bowling Green, and maybe WMU:

CCHA officials will meet within the next two weeks with representatives of four Atlantic Hockey schools about a potential change in conferences in 2013-14.

Robert Morris, Niagara, Mercyhurst and Canisius are all actively exploring the possibility of switching from Atlantic Hockey to the CCHA. It is believed that the four would leave as a group, or not at all, though that is not set in stone.

Talks will hinge on a variety of issues, some of which will be difficult to settle immediately. Among them include the future of the CCHA's television contract, and the location of the CCHA's tournament.

Maybe not so good for Alaska. It is much harder to fly to Fairbanks from the eastern US without multiple connections than it is to Anchorage. Because there is a direct flight between Minneapolis and Fairbanks, Alaska is a better fit for the WCHA.

It's also believed that the Atlantic schools are not prepared to play in the league if Alaska is still involved, which could be another sticking point. That sentiment also does not bode well for Alabama-Huntsville, Division I's lone independent, which has been searching unsuccessfully for a new home since the dissolution of the CHA.

CCHA and Four AHA Schools to meet

Great news for Lake Sup State, Ferris St, Bowling Green, and maybe WMU:

Maybe not so good for Alaska. It is much harder to fly to Fairbanks from the eastern US without multiple connections than it is to Anchorage. Because there is a direct flight between Minneapolis and Fairbanks, Alaska is a better fit for the WCHA.

Makes sense for the AHA schools who want to go from 12 to 18 scholarships, this is the first time I've seen in print that Alaska may be WCHA bound so maybe the Alaska schools will be bound together after all.

Poor Hunstville must feel like a red-headed stepchild, more rocks in their Halloween candy.

Makes sense for the AHA schools who want to go from 12 to 18 scholarships, this is the first time I've seen in print that Alaska may be WCHA bound so maybe the Alaska schools will be bound together after all.

Poor Hunstville must feel like a red-headed stepchild, more rocks in their Halloween candy.

Most of those AHA schools have a history of traveling to Huntsville (even now), so I like Huntsville's odds if those western AHA schools move over to the CCHA. A bus trip to Huntsville is probably often less time consuming/stressful for most of those schools than a trip to Sault Saint Marie/Lake Sup State in winter conditions.

In many respects, Northern Michigan moving over to the WCHA helps open up the AHA schools to the idea of moving to the CCHA, as Marquette is an even more difficult travel spot, especially for teams coming from the east.

Most of those AHA schools have a history of traveling to Huntsville (even now), so I like Huntsville's odds if those western AHA schools move over to the CCHA. A bus trip to Huntsville is probably often less time consuming/stressful for most of those schools than a trip to Sault Saint Marie/Lake Sup State in winter conditions.

Going to Huntsville in winter would be a vacation compared to SSM/LSS, I hope they do get a look if the AHA schools jump to the CCHA, it would stink if they got a "we'll still play you but not as a member" offer.

I have to give you a 1+ for that comment... I find it funny how they President of SCSU says he will not join the new league but expected to be invited to join. I thought that comment was kind of self serving and he was assuming a lot.

"I don't want to be a member of any club that would have me as a member!" -Groucho Marx

Difference is it was funny when Groucho said it.

Going to Huntsville in winter would be a vacation compared to SSM/LSS, I hope they do get a look if the AHA schools jump to the CCHA, it would stink if they got a "we'll still play you but not as a member" offer.

The problem is, if you go to Huntsville, you have to hide yo kids and hide yo wife. So that's something that must be considered.

This is quite possibly the post of the year. And at the same time its so true it hurts....... :)