SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

Just now, stoneySIOUX said:

You'd choose Michigan or Notre Dame over SCSU, Duluth or DU? It's not even close, in my book.

DU, SCSU and UMD are historical, heated rivals. Outside of a handful of games against Notre Dame and Michigan, I would rather watch the teams in our league.

One "could" argue that DU has become UND's top rival during the last five years.

57 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

As far as rivalries go. To me it's this:

1) Minny
2) DU
3) Duluth
4) Wisconsin
5) St. Cloud

Michigan and Notre Dame are nowhere near that Top 5.

depends on how old you are i guess...there are a whole load of sioux fans that became life long fans when eades went into the stands at dane county...michigan, michigan state and notre dame all used to be in the wcha up until 1981.

54 minutes ago, Goon said:

DU, SCSU and UMD are historical, heated rivals. Outside of a handful of games against Notre Dame and Michigan, I would rather watch the teams in our league.

One "could" argue that DU has become UND's top rival during the last five years.

do not put saint clown state in there....we have longer conference affiliations with michigan, michigan state, wisconsin, and minny that those clowns (1990)

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

The only two teams in the B1G that have their buildings looking full is Michigan and Penn State.

which is also a reason why the und might get an invite...fill up those stadiums....someone to play the bad guy ...the fighting sioux are coming to town!!!

5 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

which is also a reason why the und might get an invite...fill up those stadiums....someone to play the bad guy ...the fighting sioux are coming to town!!!

So, UND joins the B1G and gets nothing from the conference or BTN. Yeah, it makes no sense for UND to join the B1G just to boost everyone else’s attendance.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, cberkas said:

So, UND joins the B1G and gets nothing from the conference or BTN. Yeah, it makes no sense for UND to join the B1G just to boost everyone else’s attendance.

tickets, ad revenue, and i'm sure the midco contract ( or FSN or someone else ) would be worth a bunch more....plus the academic side of being aligned with those school would probably help a little too

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

This means relatively nothing to me in regards to how I feel about the rivalries.

Why are we doing this??? It's not frickin' happening.

UGH, what a dumb thread.

who is gonna be the big10's eighth team? gotta be someone and i would think it would be an existing school...pegula's and engestad's are very very hard to find.

2 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

With all due respect, Goon, I'd pay to see a game at Penn State.  

i've never been to south bend but a game of und v und at compton would be fun as hell (but hey the bomb shelter in st cloud is kinda cozy....and safe in inclement weather situations.

I'd rather have peer hockey institutions be B1G schools for a myriad of reasons, and it's not close.

UND would make the ENTIRE league better from so many different aspects.

I've said this 100 times on here and it falls on deaf ears, but they ONLY do it if what they get in return from the B1G is requisite. Therein lies the dilemma. Not sure they would do that to UND's liking.

But, go ahead and rip away...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

I'd rather have peer institutions be B1G schools for a myriad of reasons, and it's not close.

UND would make the ENTIRE league better from so many different aspects and a better overall league.

I've said this 100 times on here and it falls on deaf ears, but they ONLY do it if what they get in return from the B1G is requisite. Therein lies the dilemma. Not sure they would do that to UND's liking.

But, go ahead and rip away...

That's the point, there is little to no chance that the B1G treat UND as an equal in the B1G Hockey Conference. It would be like when Notre Dame wanted a bunch of one-sided concessions to join the NCHC.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

do not put saint clown state in there....we have longer conference affiliations with michigan, michigan state, wisconsin, and minny that those clowns (1990)

You'd be hard pressed to find one other fan that would prefer to watch MSU vs UND, rather than SCSU vs UND

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

That's the point, there is little to no chance that the B1G treat UND as an equal in the B1G Hockey Conference. It would be like when Notre Dame wanted a bunch of one-sided concessions to join the NCHC.

I'm not saying equal.

I'm saying requisite to make it worth the change.

No chance UND is ever given an equal share in that scenario. Just a financial bone to make it worth their while.

The B1G could benefit big-time by having UND on their conference schedule as far as attendance. Quid pro quo financially.

• Like 1

I would make the following comparison with B1G teams vs. NCHC teams playing against North Dakota as far as both better attended games and larger viewing audience which in turn translates to more dollars for all. Every B1G team beats out a certain NCHC team, which is pretty amazing in a comparison! Price per game seat could also be added to this comparison.

Minnesota      >   Denver

Wisconsin      >   St Cloud

Michigan        >   Duluth

Michigan St   >   W Mich

Ohio St           >    Miami

Penn St          >    CC

Notre Dame  >    Omaha

Yes UND as an affiliate would have to get a cut from the B1G on viewership because UND would help all schools in the following ways:

Attendance

Viewership from all teams (Also, a lot of UND alumni from MN to Penn St. would watch the BTN more)

Bring the B1G to eight, which would generate more interest, better conference.

Get to play every team home and away, each one weekend a season.

UND would energize some old fans of the previous 5 WCHA teams.

Be a conference known for owning the Natty's.

Bring in more Larger Networks for various games.

Ohhh!   Faison wouldn't be around to kill the deal. Kennedy would help make it work.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I would make the following comparison with B1G teams vs. NCHC teams playing against North Dakota as far as both better attended games and larger viewing audience which in turn translates to more dollars for all. Every B1G team beats out a certain NCHC team, which is pretty amazing in a comparison! Price per game seat could also be added to this comparison.

Michigan St   >   W Mich

Ohio St          >    Miami

Penn St         >    CC

Notre Dame >    Omaha

Yes UND as an affiliate would have to get a cut from the B1G on viewership because UND would help all schools in the following ways:

Attendance

Viewership from all teams (Also, a lot of UND alumni from MN to Penn St. would watch the BTN more)

Bring the B1G to eight, which would generate more interest, better conference.

Get to play every team home and away, each one weekend a season.

UND would energize some old fans of the previous 5 WCHA teams.

Be a conference known for owning the Natty's.

Bring in more Larger Networks for various games.

Ohhh!   Faison wouldn't be around to kill the deal. Kennedy would help make it work.

Kennedy won't be around either. 

I have two degrees at UND and was well served by them.  I also do not think the Big 10 is in a class academically with the Ivies or a bunch of other privates around the country.  But its research credentials are top notch, and the academic strength is a definite click above UND.   I think those factors will keep UND out of the Big 10, IMO.   Deserved or not.  I have a boatload of family that are Harvard, Stanford, MIT, U of C etc., educated and I will never apologize for my UND education.   A lot of good teaching going on there.   A lot of good people there.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Michigan St   >   W Mich

Ohio St           >    Miami

Penn St          >    CC

Notre Dame  >    Omaha

If I could cherry-pick Minnesota, St Cloud, UMD, Michigan, Denver, Wisconsin, and Penn State from that list and add in North Dakota. I'd start the MSHC...

...the Mega-Super Hockey Conference!

9 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

If I could cherry-pick Minnesota, St Cloud, UMD, Michigan, Denver, Michigan, and Wisconsin from that list and add in North Dakota. I'd start the MSHC...

...the Mega-Super Hockey Conference!

I know you have a secret love affair with the University of Michigan but this is ridiculous!