SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

The Gophers played at Bemidji in October of 2000 and Lucia was always very vocal in his support for them joining the WCHA. Also Minnesota every year during this time was locked in to four non-conference games a year with the showcase and the Mariucci Classic so they didnt have the felxibility in their schedule like UND did.

As for MSU, we were only independent for 3 years before joining the WCHA. That's a pretty small window. MN has been very good to MSU in all aspects of this transition. You'll be hard pressed to find many bad things said about MN from the people in the know at MSU. UND, I think, is a bit of a different story. No one says anything bad about UND, but they aren't going out of their way to praise them either for what it's worth. There are a lot of hard feelings toward the NCHC schools in Kato (and, I think, Bemidji). Just one man's opinion/observations.

Newspapers are a group that didn't initially embrace the changing technology. Some are finally adjusting to it. But even with adjustments even the old guard newspapers are struggling mightily. (The NYT lost $40 million in 2011. Ouch.)

Here's a question:

When's the last time you purchased, sat down, and read an actual ink and pulp newspaper?

The answer changes radically based on age group.

• Older folks and retirees probably still have daily delivery. (Full disclosure: I have weekend-only delivery.)
  • Younger folks: "Ink? Paper? Huh? Why? It's on my smart phone. And I'd rather spend the money for a double shot in my latte."

Knowing that, would you still prefer UND only release information by phone call or fax to just the GF Herald, or have an advanced website like UNDSports.com that everyone including media can reach to.

The last time? This morning. I just can't see myself drinking my coffee browsing through my laptop in my easy chair. (Yes, I'm older)

Newspapers are a group that didn't initially embrace the changing technology. Some are finally adjusting to it. But even with adjustments even the old guard newspapers are struggling mightily. (The NYT lost $40 million in 2011. Ouch.)

Here's a question:

When's the last time you purchased, sat down, and read an actual ink and pulp newspaper?

The answer changes radically based on age group.

• Older folks and retirees probably still have daily delivery. (Full disclosure: I have weekend-only delivery.)
  • Younger folks: "Ink? Paper? Huh? Why? It's on my smart phone. And I'd rather spend the money for a double shot in my latte."

Knowing that, would you still prefer UND only release information by phone call or fax to just the GF Herald, or have an advanced website like UNDSports.com that everyone including media can reach to.

I actually get the daily big city paper delivered for about $4.50 a month. To me, that's just giving it away, and I still like to read a paper. But, I peruse the websites too to get updated information. Trust me, if that price went above $5 a month, I'd drop it!

The GF Herald drives me nuts with their log in to use it function. I ignore it for the most part. All I want to read about is UND sports and between this site, uscho, undsports.com, I'm fine.

Then there is me, I have not bought a paper for who knows how long. I am sitting here reading the paper online and having my coffee(which I made myself, i'm not a bought coffee kinda guy). I am in my late 30's. I agree with some people on here that streaming may be the wave of the future, but not in 1 1/2 years.

As for MSU, we were only independent for 3 years before joining the WCHA. That's a pretty small window. MN has been very good to MSU in all aspects of this transition. You'll be hard pressed to find many bad things said about MN from the people in the know at MSU. UND, I think, is a bit of a different story. No one says anything bad about UND, but they aren't going out of their way to praise them either for what it's worth. There are a lot of hard feelings toward the NCHC schools in Kato (and, I think, Bemidji). Just one man's opinion/observations.

Good to know. Its laughable that Sioux fans claim they suppport the smaller Minnesota programs better than Minnesota when in reality UND had the option to stay in the WCHA with these said schools but they chose to bail on them instead. Minnesota on the other hand had no choice in joining the Big Ten, yet have made it very clear that they will do everything possible to make sure Minnesota continues to play them.

• Upvote 1

I'm of the 'younger' generation and couldn't tell you the last time I picked up a printed copy of the Grand Forks Herald. Instead, I check GFHerald.com multiple times a day and around 11:30 every night I can go online and read all the stories that will be printed in the next day's paper. And with a click of a button I can easily share an article or story on Facebook or Twitter.

Another thing to keep in mind in regard to online streaming, is the development of HD televisions with built in wi-fi. There are already some on the market. Soon, instead of using multiple cords to connect your computer to your HD television, it sounds like you'll be able to just use your remote to connect to the internet and pull up a live stream on your 60" HD TV. The quality of internet streaming is continuing to improve and before long it may not look much different than your average HD TV broadcast.

Good to know. Its laughable that Sioux fans claim they suppport the smaller Minnesota programs better than Minnesota when in reality UND had the option to stay in the WCHA with these said schools but they chose to bail on them instead. Minnesota on the other hand had no choice in joining the Big Ten, yet have made it very clear that they will do everything possible to make sure Minnesota continues to play them.

...at Mariucci Arena...
  • Upvote 3

Your statement is laughable, UND was playing MSU-M and BSU long before they were in the WCHA and traveling to their barns when your team wouldn't even travel to Bemidji or Mankato. Why do you think BSU wanted to open up the Sanford Center with UND and not Minnesota?

Laughable is right, but what I find laughable is the 'We had no choice!' response from uMN with more accusations being thrown at UND. This whole victim mentality gets under my skin when at the same time most uMN fans, and certainly the administration, are excited at the longterm gains and exposure it will bring them. You can claim that their hand was forced, and to an extent that's true, but you'll still reap the benefits and UND's hand was just as forced given the option of staying and not moving the program forward. It's no secret that UND's supported these younger and less-notarized schools and I'm confident they still will, but not to the extent of not being able to move forward with their own program because we're responsible for them. Faison would have been irresponsible to have just stood by and watched (McLeod didn't exactly get much love for his wait and hope/see approach, after all).

I'll lend any form of credence to that position once you can convince me or any other reasonable person (outside of uMN fans and maybe the subset of WCHA schools' fans who feel jilted) that if roles were reversed and several of the upper-tier schools were leaving uMN in a depleted WCHA, with all of the other financial, officiating, and voting concerns that brings, that uMN would have even considered staying for a second when it's clear to anyone who can look at the big-picture that it would have risked relegating them to becoming a less 'elite' program unable to keep up with the other top-programs, while lowering revenues by filling a schedule with mankato, anchorage, bemidji, etc. (this from the team that strongly prefers a strong at-home non-conference schedule to boost coffers). Those schools are great and I enjoy seeing them, but the same pride we took in the WCHA's lineup being the strongest in the country doesn't transmit to what would have been left. Elitism goes both ways. UND fans didn't wish for breaking rivaly and traditions, and most of us would love to continue supporting schools like Bemidji (great place, great people, have enjoyed the games there and supported the town over the weekend every chance I've had). But personally, not at the expsense of burying my head in the sand about what it likely would have meant to the longterm success of the program which we take just as much pride in as the Gopher fans do. I hope to see them in non-conference and wish them the best. But I wouldn't feel personally responsible for them any more than the Gophers should.

Of course, whether the NCHC will deliver on their grandiose expectations is still an issue, but I won't go there... ???

• Upvote 4

Laughable is right, but what I find laughable is the 'We had no choice!' response from uMN with more accusations being thrown at UND. This whole victim mentality gets under my skin when at the same time most uMN fans, and certainly the administration, are excited at the longterm gains and exposure it will bring them. You can claim that their hand was forced, and to an extent that's true, but you'll still reap the benefits and UND's hand was just as forced given the option of staying and not moving the program forward. It's no secret that UND's supported these younger and less-notarized schools and I'm confident they still will, but not to the extent of not being able to move forward with their own program because we're responsible for them. Faison would have been irresponsible to have just stood by and watched (McLeod didn't exactly get much love for his wait and hope/see approach, after all). I'll lend any form of credence to that position once you can convince me or any other reasonable person (outside of uMN fans and maybe the subset of WCHA schools' fans who feel jilted) that if roles were reversed and several of the upper-tier schools were leaving uMN in a depleted WCHA, with all of the other financial, officiating, and voting concerns that brings, that uMN would have even considered staying for a second when it's clear to anyone who can look at the big-picture that it would have risked relegating them to becoming a less 'elite' program unable to keep up with the other top-programs, while lowering revenues by filling a schedule with mankato, anchorage, bemidji, etc. (this from the team that strongly prefers a strong at-home non-conference schedule to boost coffers). Those schools are great and I enjoy seeing them, but the same pride we took in the WCHA's lineup being the strongest in the country doesn't transmit to what would have been left. Elitism goes both ways. UND fans didn't wish for breaking rivaly and traditions, and most of us would love to continue supporting schools like Bemidji (great place, great people, have enjoyed the games there and supported the town over the weekend every chance I've had). But personally, not at the expsense of burying my head in the sand about what it likely would have meant to the longterm success of the program which we take just as much pride in as the Gopher fans do. I hope to see them in non-conference and wish them the best. But I wouldn't feel personally responsible for them any more than the Gophers should. Of course, whether the NCHC will deliver on their grandiose expectations is still an issue, but I won't go there... ???

If I am not mistaken I thought I read somewhere that UND will have a scheduling agreement with BSU after they leave the WCHA.

If I am not mistaken I thought I read somewhere that UND will have a scheduling agreement with BSU after they leave the WCHA.

I hope so - and unlike MN, I'll be just fine with us playing away games in Bemidji where I'll see hundreds or even thousands of other UND fans who are also willing to 'sacrifice' by not only watching home games - the last two years have been a great experience down there.

• Upvote 1

Your statement is laughable, UND was playing MSU-M and BSU long before they were in the WCHA and traveling to their barns when your team wouldn't even travel to Bemidji or Mankato. Why do you think BSU wanted to open up the Sanford Center with UND and not Minnesota?

Like I said previously, the Gophers played at Bemidji in October of 2000 genius.

Like I said previously, the Gophers played at Bemidji in October of 2000 genius.

Maybe I need to talk more slowly for you. Minnesota traveled a grand total of "One time." UND traveled numerous times... Not even close to the same thing. Your one game was an excuse me game, UND went for whole series in the Glas as well as doing the home and home thing.

Edited by Goon

...at Mariucci Arena...

Faison had better not agree to this deal for us. The rule I would put in place is this: No home and home, no games! Period. End of story. REA is nice enough to attract any of the top programs in the country for a non-conference series. Rodentia can just find someone else to help fill their schedule, which will take some doing since the Big Ten will have only six teams in it.

Again, MSU was only independent for 3 years before coming into the WCHA. If that's the case for BSU, fine, but it wasn't for MSU. Splitting hair, I know, but still fact.

One time!!! UND traveled numerous times...

And it wasn't even for a full series, it was a home and home. Minnesota played only one non-conference game in Bemidji since BSU turned Divison 1, where UND has played games in Bemidji and many more in Grand Forks. There has only been one year that UND didn't go to Bemidji or BSU didn't come to Grand Forks.

And it wasn't even for a full series, it was a home and home. Minnesota played only one non-conference game in Bemidji since BSU turned Divison 1. There has only been one year that UND didn't go to Bemidji or BSU didn't come to Grand Forks.

And it wasn't even for a full series, it was a home and home. Minnesota played only one non-conference game in Bemidji since BSU turned Divison 1, where UND has played games in Bemidji and many more in Grand Forks. There has only been one year that UND didn't go to Bemidji or BSU didn't come to Grand Forks.

Do you honestly think UND would have played Bemidji that much during those years if UND was already locked into four non-conference games per year because of the Showcase and the Mariucci Classic like the Gophers? Can you not see how that restricts who the Gophers can schedule?

Sioux fans are acting like they're saints for playing Bemidji more than Minnesota when ultimately it comes down to schedule flexibility. UND during those years had it, the Gophers did not.

You think playing them is the only way to support a program? Lucia was more outspoken than any other coach in the league for years in regards to the WCHA accepting Bemidji.

With all due respect, buckyieve, are you high? If teams (MN) doesn't play Bedmidji, and Lucia nonchalantly speaks about them in the media, they're (MN) is doing Bemidji justice? Whatever you're taking, I want some.