SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

SCSU a school that elects a guy as homecoming queen, then eliminates homecoming all together, has discussed dropping football, is laying off professors and cutting their budget to the bone, in the discussion of wanting to be in conferences with universities of similar stature, not sure they deserve an invitation.

The exact opposite of what Potter thinks. He thinks attendance would be stronger his new WCHA/CCHA conference? :lol:

Winning puts butts in seats.

The change in level of competition (more UAA and MTU, less UND and DU) should let them win more.

Easy to say 'we don't want to play with you anyway' when no one asked you. I still am of the opinion that Bemdiji would be a better fit for the new conference.

I tend to agree. Bemidji has its own strong hockey tradition, and would be a nice fit esp. if ND goes east.

The league as it sits now has six members. It needs 8.

Western Michigan is out apparently. If Notre Dame joins they get to bring with them whomever they would like.

But if Notre Dame decides to go to Hockey East, look for SCSU and Mankato to get an invite.

If that indeed happens, then I would question why they did what they did in the first place then, to get rid of Alaska, Bemidji, or Tech? To me they would be better off staying at six teams, playing each other four times each, then using the Non-conference schedule to play Minnesota and Wisconsin each year, then some old WCHA foes on a rotating basis, along with some Eastern competition.

We expected to be in conversations about being in a new league, Potter said today But as we looked at it ... we intended to say no.

Potter said St. Cloud State officials reviewed balance sheets, attendance projections, the strength of rivalries, postseason opportunities and several other factors in deciding it didnt want to be in the rumored new conference.

He said that no invitation ever was extended to St. Cloud State to join the conference.

We intend to stay in the WCHA and a take a leadership role to continue the legacy of the WCHA, Potter.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually one factor stands out...they couldn't compete in the WCHA, they wouldn't be able to compete in the new 'Superconference', but they can compete with whoever is left in the WCHA and CCHA...so to me it boils down to 'Hey, we can win this thing and get an autobid!'

It might not be a bad strategy for them now that I think about it. ???

According to this article, St. Cloud was expecting to be a part of the talks regarding a new conference. They were never extended an invitation and state they would not accept if an invite was offered.

http://www.sctimes.c...ey-super-league

Nobody from the remaining WCHA schools were aware of the new "super" conference. I hope most SCSU fans know that President Potter's statement was nothing more than sour grapes.

Steve Cobb from UNA said, "I don't think anybody saw this coming." "At our meeting in April we voted to extend an invitation to Miami and Notre Dame," Cobb said, referring to a pair of CCHA teams. "That passed with 100 percent of the vote. Nobody said they were unhappy. We left the April meeting and basically some of them contacted Notre Dame and Miami and said, 'Don't take the WCHA invitation, we're going to invite you to join our super league.'

"I blame everybody for being less than honest with their own league members. It's a really sneaky back-door deal."

http://www.adn.com/2...l#ixzz1RYLKwClC

But if Notre Dame decides to go to Hockey East, look for SCSU and Mankato to get an invite.

If we are lowering our "standards" before there are even standards... Why wouldn't BSU and MTU fit better?

BSU is pretty close to UND and MTU is fairly close to Duluth and IS a founding member of the WCHA.

SCSU seems to have money problems (almost cut football program) MSUM would be ok but maybe are not a first choice

for CC,DU, or UNO and let's not forget our shiny new member to the group Miami of Ohio.

If we are lowering our "standards" before there are even standards... Why wouldn't BSU and MTU fit better?

BSU is pretty close to UND and MTU is fairly close to Duluth and IS a founding member of the WCHA.

SCSU seems to have money problems (almost cut football program) MSUM would be ok but maybe are not a first choice

for CC,DU, or UNO and let's not forget our shiny new member to the group Miami of Ohio.

All MNSCU schools are having money problems.

There's no question that UND and Denver will rule this conference. Your right about SCSU, we are a mid-level program....sometimes good and other times bad. This will hurt at the ticket booth and we won't get final five monies (supplied by ticket sales from UM and UND fans) But we'll be ok. SCSU fans need to stop being delusional about who we are in the very small world of college hockey and step it up rather than crying about the situation.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/209100/group/homepage/ I think Brad hit the nail on the head here.

IMHO, The new league is trying to bring back WCHA values. Are they not meeting in Colorado Springs to announce the possible future of three founding members of the WCHA? Wasn't the WCHA born in a little hotel in Colorado Springs?

• Upvote 1

They need to change the NCAA tournament too - if the Stanley cup playoffs can last 8 weeks ours should be more games too - Especially the championship :silly: maybe this new league could tell the NCAA where to go :silly:

And this guy just doesn't know western hockey at all. Adam cover something you know about.

"It also didn't make logical sense. Why would five of the WCHA's power schools leave to start a new conference? What's the difference between that and just staying in the WCHA? I still don't know." Adam Woden :blink:

My link

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

These final two "normal" WCHA seasons will be filled with some severe animosity each and every week.

-We will have hate towards Minnesota and Wisconsin as usual, but especially for ditching the WCHA to start this whole process.

-The teams in the leftover WCHA will hate us for leaving for a new conference

-The teams joining us in our new conference are some of our biggest rivals anyways.

This will be 2 full seasons of blood baths.

These final two "normal" WCHA seasons will be filled with some severe animosity each and every week.

-We will have hate towards Minnesota and Wisconsin as usual, but especially for ditching the WCHA to start this whole process.

-The teams in the leftover WCHA will hate us for leaving for a new conference

-The teams joining us in our new conference are some of our biggest rivals anyways.

This will be 2 full seasons of blood baths.

And I'm sure that of the non-BTHC defectors we will draw the most ire because...well...we're us. It won't be that big of a deal for Minnesota, Wisconsin, UND, and Denver facing hostile crowds because those teams are used to being hated wherever they go, will be a little tougher for Duluth, CC, and Omaha getting used to the hate and discontent.

Is anybody else a little nervous about how we are going to be treated as far as reffing goes the next couple years? McLeod and the Shepherders have never been in love with us anyway, and now that we have helped orchestrate this mass exodus they might really feel the need to stick it to us, or let others stick it to us. Payback could be a bitch as they say.

And this guy just doesn't know western hockey at all. Adam cover something you know about.

"It also didn't make logical sense. Why would five of the WCHA's power schools leave to start a new conference? What's the difference between that and just staying in the WCHA? I still don't know." Adam Woden :blink:

My link

It's a fair question and one I would guess will be answered Wednesday. Conference leadership is a big difference. Also likely to see tighter nhl style officiating. Also get a round robin schedule. Hope notre dame joins and league stops at 7. That will allow 10 nonconference games plus exemptions.

According to this article, St. Cloud was expecting to be a part of the talks regarding a new conference. They were never extended an invitation and state they would not accept if an invite was offered.

http://www.sctimes.c...ey-super-league

This is what the nerd that didn't get invited to the party always says in response to NOT getting invited. LMAO

This is what the nerd that didn't get invited to the party always says in response to NOT getting invited. LMAO

I love the headline "SCSU won't join new conference" a more accurate headline would have read "SCSU can't join new conference". I will never forgive St Cloud for what they did to UND, I hope their program goes under. :D

• Downvote 1

not nice

So do you and Riverman (thanks for the negative mark you !@#$%!) deny that St. Cloud has gone well out of it's way to force UND to retire the Sioux nickname and at the same time drag our institution's name through the mud? Seriously uncool! I don't hate your fans but I have no love for your administration.