SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Wow is right.  

I'm looking forward to a time when I can mention my alma mater without the profound sense of shame associated with the Fighting Sioux nickname and the ridiculous, costly battles to keep that harmful reminder of uninformed attitudes. Time for the "Fighting Sioux forever" crowd to grow up and let it go.

Not sure about Ames, but I still wear Sioux gear around Des Moines and get nothing but compliments on it even from some Democrat partisans. 

• Upvote 1

She should cite some of this so-called abundant research - as far as I'm aware, there isn't any that has passed the peer review process - it has all been puff pieces by PC hacks with an axe to grind.  Anyone that has to resort to calling those that hold a different viewpoint from her "racists" and "uninformed" really ought not be listened to. If she is so thin skinned that she can't stand to live in a non-PC world, maybe it's time for her to grow up and let it go.

I'd love to hear her thoughts on the Lakota SIoux tribal members who see the value of the Fighting Sioux nickname to their culture. I"m positive she would diss their opinion.  

They've obviously been brain-washed and marginalized by racist supporters of Indian oppression ... :crazy:

Imagine thousands of people using your name and image in a harmful way even after you've asked, pleaded and demanded that they stop.

That's exactly what happens when fans continue to use the Fighting Sioux nickname against the explicit, repeated wishes of actual Sioux people, not to mention the North Dakotans who voted in a landslide to authorize the name's retirement for good.

Well there's an interesting interpretation along with some historical revisionism.  This lady needs to realize that she's doing more to hurt the "move on" crowd (of which I am a part) than to help by throwing out these ridiculous statements.

Well there's an interesting interpretation along with some historical revisionism.  This lady needs to realize that she's doing more to hurt the "move on" crowd (of which I am a part) than help by throwing out these ridiculous statements.

Before they start throwing rocks and judging from their ivory tower, you'd think they would be concerned about and work on the manner in which their own students, alumni and fans continue to use the Fighting Sioux nickname in demeaning or vulgar chants, especially considering UND is rarely involved the events where they take place.

Before they start throwing rocks and judging from their ivory tower, you'd think they would be concerned about and work on the manner in which their own students, alumni and fans continue to use the Fighting Sioux nickname in demeaning or vulgar chants, especially considering UND is rarely involved the events where they take place.

Ah, I should have made the quote more clear.  What I quoted was from the Ames, IA letter, not the NDSU one.

But yes, the NDSU professors' letter reminds me of St. Cloud directing attention away from their antisemitism issues and towards UND's nickname.

Ah, I should have made the quote more clear.  What I quoted was from the Ames, IA letter, not the NDSU one.

But yes, the NDSU professors' letter reminds me of St. Cloud directing attention away from their antisemitism issues and towards UND's nickname.

Yeah, I got them mixed up as well.  Points still stand regardless.

The NDSU faculty letter is satire. Their point is that we have countless names of cities, states, rivers, etc named after Native American people. For the letter writers to state that it is okay to name a state after a Native American people (a state that is part of a country that committed genocide against native populations) but a similarly named institute of higher ed is offensive- would be laughably hypocritical. I think (?) their point is that it is either all offensive or it isn't. Good satire is not always easy, as this group from NDSU has just awkwardly shown us.

She should cite some of this so-called abundant research - as far as I'm aware, there isn't any that has passed the peer review process - it has all been puff pieces by PC hacks with an axe to grind.  Anyone that has to resort to calling those that hold a different viewpoint from her "racists" and "uninformed" really ought not be listened to. If she is so thin skinned that she can't stand to live in a non-PC world, maybe it's time for her to grow up and let it go.

It's probably this mess, and look at the sources.  Nothing like citing yourself ...

http://252fwww.turtletrack.org/Issues08/CO110108/AIMascots08.pdf

The NDSU faculty letter is satire. Their point is that we have countless names of cities, states, rivers, etc named after Native American people. For the letter writers to state that it is okay to name a state after a Native American people (a state that is part of a country that committed genocide against native populations) but a similarly named institute of higher ed is offensive- would be laughably hypocritical. I think (?) their point is that it is either all offensive or it isn't. Good satire is not always easy, as this group from NDSU has just awkwardly shown us.

I'm not sure if I agree with you, are you sure that was their intent? Or are you being facetious?

The NDSU faculty letter is satire. 

As much as I'd love to believe you to be correct, I do not believe that to be the case. Why?

It was a commendable act of respect to name our beautiful state after a large group of its residents.
Using the same term as a nickname for sports teams is bound to cause problems similar to those of the previous name.

They laud one; they scowl at the other. I see juxtaposition, not satire. 

However, I'll give them a little credit: They point to the problem. 

When the term “Sioux” was selected as the UND nickname, there was insufficient awareness of how disrespectfully groups of sports fans can treat a nickname in the heat of competition. If “Dakota” were used in slurs, the situation would be no better.

But do they realize the problem is in their (the NDSU) mirror?

As much as I'd love to believe you to be correct, I do not believe that to be the case. Why?

They laud one; they scowl at the other. I see juxtaposition, not satire.

However, I'll give them a little credit: They point to the problem.

But do they realize the problem is in their (the NDSU) mirror?

The problem is people are overly sensitive. NDSU fans saying Sioux suck never have been, and never will be the problem.

I'd love to hear her thoughts on the Lakota SIoux tribal members who see the value of the Fighting Sioux nickname to their culture. I"m positive she would diss their opinion.  

Gotta love when a white person tells a Native American how they should feel.

I've seen plenty of Native Americans proudly wearing Sioux gear its not even funny.

• Upvote 3

With everyone 70 miles south so concerned about our possible nickname options, and crying and whining about anything and everything. Can we just be the North Dakota Nobody's? Then, Nobody can complain! Problem solved.

North Dakota Nobody's... or, NDN's for short.  Oops, maybe not.  

I don't suppose this is the same Meg Brown from Ames who wrote the letter.  :p

http://www.peoplebyname.com/people/Brown/Meg/Ames/IA

Seems like she might have issues "closer to home".

• Upvote 1

I don't suppose this is the same Meg Brown from Ames who wrote the letter.  :p

http://www.peoplebyname.com/people/Brown/Meg/Ames/IA

Seems like she might have issues "closer to home".

Thats-just-funny-right-there-76285376594

Disclaimer: I meant no offense to agnostics, atheists, or members of faiths or religions that do not subscribe to a concept of "Lord". I don't need my own "Meg Brown from Squaw Creek Drive" letter. :D  

• Upvote 1