SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Pilots or aviators won't work now with the unfortunate happenings in the alps:/

Well, not to dismiss it but there's always going to be plane crashes periodically.  To be honest though, I've always preferred Flyers to Pilots or Aviators anyhow if that's the route the new name went.

Is Nodak Electric power cooperative on board with Nodaks?   I would hope something a little more inventive could be chosen if going with no nickname is officially ruled out.   Any nickname that starts with no, sounds suspect.  Nodaks....rejecting daks, or the absence of daks....   If we're going down that road, how about the Nosioux instead?   Sioux no no...... No Sioux Sioux!! 

No daks, no kotas, no Sioux.... no problem.

Is Nodak Electric power cooperative on board with Nodaks? I would hope something a little more inventive could be chosen if going with no nickname is officially ruled out. Any nickname that starts with no, sounds suspect. Nodaks....rejecting daks, or the absence of daks.... If we're going down that road, how about the Nosioux instead? Sioux no no...... No Sioux Sioux!!

No daks, no kotas, no Sioux.... no problem.

Mndaks to reflect half of enrollment coming from Minnesota?

Well, not to dismiss it but there's always going to be plane crashes periodically.  To be honest though, I've always preferred Flyers to Pilots or Aviators anyhow if that's the route the new name went.

Hatton Flyers - a tribute to Carl Ben Eielson. UND grad and Alaskan aviation pioneer. First to fly over the North Pole.

Flyers would also be a nod to the small town schools that are being swallowed up in consolidations like North Prairie.

Saw a rumor floating around that UND is looking at the Northstars logo/name. This of course is from a discussion on facebook so take with a grain of salt but here's part of it. 

"They've already decided [what the new logo will be]. This is just a PR exercise (regarding the nickname committee). I know a guy who is involved in licensed logo apparel for college and pro teams and he says that UND is already in negotiations to purchase the old Northstars logo. This was going on before the new comittee was even formed."

Saw a rumor floating around that UND is looking at the Northstars logo/name. This of course is from a discussion on facebook so take with a grain of salt but here's part of it. "They've already decided [what the new logo will be]. This is just a PR exercise (regarding the nickname committee). I know a guy who is involved in licensed logo apparel for college and pro teams and he says that UND is already in negotiations to purchase the old Northstars logo. This was going on before the new comittee was even formed."

Isn't Minnesota the Northstar state?

UND pretty much wears the black hat anyways, especially with respect to hockey, so why not own it?

The University of North Dakota Villains.

Not Villains, but ... Scoundrels ... using the black hat theme. (Note the three letters in the middle of sco-und-rels.)

After getting hooked on the Vikings series on the History Channel, I'm starting to warm to Norse or Raiders.

History Channel? Really?? I thought you were better than that. I suppose QVC is on the "previous channel" button too! ;)

• Upvote 1

History Channel? Really?? I thought you were better than that. I suppose QVC is on the "previous channel" button too! ;)

Normally I don't get into TV, but I've read enough about that era to appreciate its attempt at accuracy ... to some degree.

Anyone wanna take bets on when Kelley bans the in heaven there is no beer song?

After his war on the logo now he is after getting rid of all alcohol..... I bet he was steaming this weekend with all the Sioux chants and Sioux jerseys all over national tv

He wont be around long enough for all that.

With all you law experts out there I cant believe we can't go back to the old flicker tails logo. What is as harmless as a rodent?

There is no way the ncaa won't let us go back to that logo so there is also no way we can't just use the ND logo

I don't think there ever was a Flickertails logo.  If there was I don't remember seeing it.  The NCAA wouldn't care whether UND picked Flickertails for a new nickname or not.  There is no desire by any significant number of people to pick Flickertails because it is too similar to the Gophers next door and it doesn't give the impression of strength or power or uniqueness or any other positive image.  It's a dirty rodent.

The NCAA won't care if UND continues to use the interlocking ND logo or not.  That logo has been used by UND for many years, mainly as a secondary logo to a Native American logo of some kind.  It can continue to be a secondary logo.  It probably isn't going anywhere.  The settlement agreement says that UND had to quit using the Native American nickname and logo, and that if a new nickname and logo are not chosen to replace the Native American nickname and logo then the NCAA will be allowed to put UND back on the "naughty" list and suffer sanctions.  North Dakota is not a sports nickname.  It is the name of the state.  If you think it is a suitable nickname, then you believe the team can be called the University of North Dakota North Dakota, that is how a sports nickname is written.  In addition, the school has been known as North Dakota since it has been in existence since that can be a shortened form of University of North Dakota.  It isn't new.  It will always be called North Dakota.  The settlement agreement says new nickname.  North Dakota and the interlocking ND are not new.

• Upvote 1