SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

This is not an option.  If we do that, this issue will just keep coming up over and over and over again.  That is a distraction we don't need.

• Upvote 1

UND is already on NCAA's naughty list.

I mean no hosting playoffs and all that. How upset would you folks be if in a couple years you have a good football team and can't host a playoff game?

Shouldn't take a three year cool off plus two more years. On the bright side, I think darell is going to lose an AGS bet out of this.

If I'm not mistaken the tribe hold all licensing and trademarks. 

Uh, no. 

From the Settlement, page 8, paragraph j "Intellectual Property", basically:

- UND retains (must retain) all rights to the trademarks (of logo and old name)

- UND has the right to transfer it to a tribe if they so choose

- UND must take actions to protect the trademark as long as it possesses it

http://www.ag.nd.gov/ncaa/SettlementAgreement.pdf

To my knowledge UND has not transferred the rights to any tribe. 

Wow, terrible.  Nice strawman argument saying that the new nickname will be "silly, moronic, boring" and that being the sole basis of why UND should not pick a new nickname.  And assuming that no one will get behind it is patently false.  Guessing that there are many people at other colleges (Arkansas State, Dartmouth, Marquette, Miami, etc) and high schools (GF Central) who claimed the same thing when they went through a change and no one would get behind a new nickname as well.  Personally, I hope that the committee doesn't truly believe that no nickname is not an option and they are just trying to appease a few people.  Even if they do think its an option, I'm confident those elected by the stakeholder's will understand why it isn't.

For those who claim a bad nickname is the reason they won't support the University of North Dakota, I don't think their support will be missed much.*

*For reference: See the threat of no more donations from people when the nickname was changed and then compare it to what direction the level of contributions has went the last few years (hint: it continues to grow).

• Upvote 3

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news-education/task-force-outlines-plan-pick-new-nickname-3631898

The group addressed the possibility of a name getting trademarked by another entity during some sort of voting process, but Jeno said that would simply mean that name would no longer be in the running.

Oh my.....

Ok, I don't know what goes into getting a "thing" trademarked.....but how difficult (or simple?) will it be for anyone who sees the list of nickname options to simply go and trademark the ones they don't like?   

Ok, a little internet research shows it may not be all that simple, so maybe that concern is minor...

The great philosopher Homer Simpson once said:

“Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything. 14% of people know that.”

He also said that beer is the cause of, and the solution to all of life's problems.  

I think I'll have a beer or two tonight... :p  

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news-education/task-force-outlines-plan-pick-new-nickname-3631898

Oh my.....

Ok, I don't know what goes into getting a "thing" trademarked.....but how difficult (or simple?) will it be for anyone who sees the list of nickname options to simply go and trademark the ones they don't like?   

Ok, a little internet research shows it may not be all that simple, so maybe that concern is minor...

Yea, quite a bit goes into it.  Plus, in order to keep a trademark you have to actually use it.  That's why UND has to continue production Sioux gear with the old logo on it.  Otherwise the trademark will expire.

At least that's how I understand it.

"Don't hate the player, hate the game."

It's the NCAA's game. They're a private club. They can make as many arbitrary and capricious rules as they like. The majority of the members went for it and those are the rules now. Do they make any logical sense? They don't have to. Again, private club. 

Clarence Darrow could've represented UND and Tom Clifford could've still been president, but the way the NCAA set up the game, they'd have lost too. 

We played; we lost: Man up and move on. 

• Upvote 2

Oh my.....

Goon is currently filing the trademark office for Sundogs as we speak

• Upvote 4

I should get the rights to the name "Screaming Weasels" and make a fortune. 

Retire to the Carribean.  Watch "Screaming Weasel" hockey on my sattelite dish, with a cold one in one hand while swinging in a hammock with a hot super model.

Oh, I have a plan....